PDA

View Full Version : NRA Show 2016 information?

WickedWillis
05-19-16, 18:52
So what is the big news from the show so far? I am having a hell of a time finding any information so far today. I realize it's day one, but usually we have some goodies by now. I realize the civvy MP5 got announced, and Vickers teased the VP9 in FDE on facebook last night. I know you insiders have awesome things to share ;)

Uprange41
05-19-16, 19:04
Curious as well. I've read that Surefire and Aimpoint should have new things at the show, but you know how that goes.... Still, I've been waiting to see if that panned out.

Also hoping my ass off that the PKMR's are released.

WickedWillis
05-19-16, 19:28
And like an idiot I thought today was Friday. Shows how my week is going

peashooter76
05-19-16, 19:41
Hopefully Colt will debut their long awaited mid-length

PatrioticDisorder
05-19-16, 20:47
I'm not on IG but a friend of mine reported seeing a M&P Shield .45ACP on IG today, I'm guessing that may be announced...

PatrioticDisorder
05-19-16, 21:08
http://carolinagunrunners.net/smith-wesson-shield-45-acp/

Appears to have a factory undercut & stipple job... Makes me wonder if this is the beginning of a gen2 M&P with the undercut & factory stipple job, add an Apex trigger & an upgraded (maybe Apex barrel) and I might take a second look at the M&P line... I still have a large pile of M&P mags laying around with no M&Ps.

MountainRaven
05-19-16, 21:42
So what is the big news from the show so far? I am having a hell of a time finding any information so far today. I realize it's day one, but usually we have some goodies by now. I realize the civvy MP5 got announced, and Vickers teased the VP9 in FDE on facebook last night. I know you insiders have awesome things to share ;)

VP9s in FDE have already started shipping. Just FYI.

WickedWillis
05-19-16, 23:34
VP9s in FDE have already started shipping. Just FYI.

Well there's my answer lol

Moose-Knuckle
05-20-16, 03:40
Fingers crossed for release of BCM's new polymer handguards and MKE/Zennith launches the Z-41.

PatrioticDisorder
05-20-16, 13:08
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/05/19/asa-range-day-daniel-defense-32-round-magazine/

Daniel Defense is releasing a 32 round magazine. I'm not sure I'm super excited about that, but it will be interesting to see how these function & hold up.

Sam
05-20-16, 13:11
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/shield45.jpg

Shield .45acp.

WickedWillis
05-20-16, 14:20
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/05/19/asa-range-day-daniel-defense-32-round-magazine/

Daniel Defense is releasing a 32 round magazine. I'm not sure I'm super excited about that, but it will be interesting to see how these function & hold up.

It's interesting for sure.

Moose-Knuckle
05-21-16, 01:16
Beg pardon, a 32 round magazine . . . what I'm a missing? :blink:

Uprange41
05-21-16, 11:02
I just kind of assumed that the 32 rounds was a secondary factor of their design, rather than a feature. I.E., they wanted a certain geometry, and it just so happened to accommodate 32 rounds.

Ernst
05-21-16, 11:05
My take on the DD 32 rounder is simply that DD is breaking into the polymer mag playing field, which is fairly crowded. This is a way to differentiate themselves a bit and get attention for their magazine. Some of us prefer downloading a couple rounds in our 30 rounders anyway, so this way we get 30 round magazines. :)

jerrysimons
05-21-16, 19:26
http://www.recoilweb.com/2106-nraam-ongoing-coverage-97717.html

Crappy cell video but good info.

Eurodriver
05-21-16, 19:33
My take on the DD 32 rounder is simply that DD is breaking into the polymer mag playing field, which is fairly crowded.

And there it is. The only magazines I ever buy are USGI Aluminum or Magpul PMAGs. Period. I know they work, and I don't have to play the "Well let's take a chance with this company's forray into something that Magpul and STANAG have already got down pat." game.

Honestly, maybe someone could explain it to me but what is the appeal of magazines from new market entrants? Even long-time staples like Lancer - I don't get it. Trying to be different? It can't be price - D&H mags are $7/ea all over the internet.

Maybe I remember pre-2004 too well, but I'll never "settle" for anything less than a dead nuts reliable magazine. Spent far too much time phucking with cheap Butler Creek 25rd 10/22 and Korean .45 Glock magazines to bother ever again.

Can't fault DD - maybe in 10 years their 32rd magazine will be the bee's knees but it makes absolutely zero "cents" to try one out.

/rant

Ernst
05-21-16, 19:42
The only news that matters to me, so far, is the announcement of the COLT CLASSIC line which will be formally debuted in Jan. 2017, with the first two AR reproductions being released the M-16 and the CAR repros.

Looks awesome.

Ernst
05-21-16, 19:44
Can't fault DD - maybe in 10 years their 32rd magazine will be the bee's knees but it makes absolutely zero "cents" to try one out.

/rant

DD has a very sizable installed user base of their rifles and no doubt that user base will provide the main source of buyers for these mags.

Capitalism 101.

Maybe Magpul will release a lady's purse line to make up for the lost revenue. :)

Uprange41
05-21-16, 19:46
what is the appeal of magazines from new market entrants?
My guess is, it's another critical part of the rifle that DD now has control over. They transitioned to their own furniture not long ago, they upped their mounting solution game, and I can see where they'd think the next step for them would be to make mags. I can certainly see the allure for a company to create the image of its own ecosystem. Besides, DD has been about as in-house as it gets.

If it's a product they believe solves a problem, then more power to them. I look forward to seeing how they perform. Plus, as mentioned, they have a customer base that will likely buy DD mags to go with their rifle.

Eurodriver
05-21-16, 19:57
Makes sense; my post wasn't really meant to knock DD for developing new mags but rather try and understand consumers who would buy these magazines.

I understand its the way of the beast for manufacturers to make their own parts - what blows my mind is just a few years ago BCM was essentially a barrel/BCG maker that assembled rifles using parts from other manufacturers. Today you can buy a BCM upper, barrel, rail, sling mount, stock, pistol grip, lower, trigger, VFG, BUIS, light mount - you can have a fully functioning carbine and the only parts not stamped BCM will be the sling and the optic.

PatrioticDisorder
05-21-16, 21:09
And there it is. The only magazines I ever buy are USGI Aluminum or Magpul PMAGs. Period. I know they work, and I don't have to play the "Well let's take a chance with this company's forray into something that Magpul and STANAG have already got down pat." game.

Honestly, maybe someone could explain it to me but what is the appeal of magazines from new market entrants? Even long-time staples like Lancer - I don't get it. Trying to be different? It can't be price - D&H mags are $7/ea all over the internet.

Maybe I remember pre-2004 too well, but I'll never "settle" for anything less than a dead nuts reliable magazine. Spent far too much time phucking with cheap Butler Creek 25rd 10/22 and Korean .45 Glock magazines to bother ever again.

/rant

This right here, I respect DD a lot, their mags have potential to be great but completely unproven. I only buy NHMTG (now Okay Surefeeed) & Pmags (Gen3) at this point. No need to bother with any other nonsense, I stack them deep.

Iraqgunz
05-21-16, 21:38
Except a PMAG will already hold 30 rounds comfortably without any need to download. And strangely enough all of my AR's will accept every type of mag I own when loaded to 30, to include my USGI mags.

My take on the DD 32 rounder is simply that DD is breaking into the polymer mag playing field, which is fairly crowded. This is a way to differentiate themselves a bit and get attention for their magazine. Some of us prefer downloading a couple rounds in our 30 rounders anyway, so this way we get 30 round magazines. :)

Moose-Knuckle
05-22-16, 02:03
My guess is, it's another critical part of the rifle that DD now has control over.

If they are going to dabble in mags then they need to bring to market a mag for their 5V1 (7.62 NATO) IMI and Magpul really the only players in realistic priced mags in this caliber.

JC5188
05-22-16, 02:40
If they are going to dabble in mags then they need to bring to market a mag for their 5V1 (7.62 NATO) IMI and Magpul really the only players in realistic priced mags in this caliber.

Geez...this is the next gold rush. Whoever can successfully be the 800 lb elephant in the .308 market.

Maybe it'll never be done, with so many variants.

Moose-Knuckle
05-22-16, 02:56
Geez...this is the next gold rush. Whoever can successfully be the 800 lb elephant in the .308 market.

Maybe it'll never be done, with so many variants.

The AR-10 mag thing is pretty much standardized now with SR-25/M110 pattern mags; Armalite AR-10A, Bushmaster .308 ORC, Colt LE901-16S, CORE Rifle Systems CORE30, DPMS LR308, JP Enterprises LRP-07, KAC SR25, LaRue OBR, Les Baer .308, LMT .308 MWS, LWRCI REPR, Mega Arms MATEN, POF P-308, Remington R-25, Ruger SR-762, S&W M&P10, SIG716, and DD5V1.

JC5188
05-22-16, 04:58
The AR-10 mag thing is pretty much standardized now with SR-25/M110 pattern mags; Armalite AR-10A, Bushmaster .308 ORC, Colt LE901-16S, CORE Rifle Systems CORE30, DPMS LR308, JP Enterprises LRP-07, KAC SR25, LaRue OBR, Les Baer .308, LMT .308 MWS, LWRCI REPR, Mega Arms MATEN, POF P-308, Remington R-25, Ruger SR-762, S&W M&P10, SIG716, and DD5V1.

Maybe so. I guess I'm just sour because I have an earlier ArmaLite that won't take pmags.

Wake27
05-22-16, 05:47
I have yet to see anything from BCM. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernst
05-22-16, 08:13
Makes sense; my post wasn't really meant to knock DD for developing new mags but rather try and understand consumers who would buy these magazines.

I understand its the way of the beast for manufacturers to make their own parts - what blows my mind is just a few years ago BCM was essentially a barrel/BCG maker that assembled rifles using parts from other manufacturers. Today you can buy a BCM upper, barrel, rail, sling mount, stock, pistol grip, lower, trigger, VFG, BUIS, light mount - you can have a fully functioning carbine and the only parts not stamped BCM will be the sling and the optic.

Why do you even care?

It's called "Capitalism 101."

Eurodriver
05-22-16, 10:18
Why do you even care?

It's called "Capitalism 101."

Because I care about people, and it is upsetting when ill-informed people throw money down the drain at products which are substandard and unproven. That's what 95% of this forum is about.

How a forum so hell bent on "Colt/BCM/Noveske/DD rifles or bust" yet simultaneously rush out to buy the latest ETS/Hexmag/Lancer amalgamation of plastic on what is the most critical part aside from the firearm itself absolutely baffles me. Why do you not care?

P.S. You have yet to reply to my post in the optics forum where you suggested the OP buy an $1,800 optic when he already said a $1,200 ACOG was out of his price range. Why did you do that?

TAZ
05-22-16, 13:15
So all that was announced were the baby poop VP9, Shield45 and DD magazines? Doesnt sound like much of a show.

Sam
05-22-16, 18:33
Colt put out the retro AR15 and XM177 carbine.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/05/21/nra-colt-classic/#comments

Alex V
05-22-16, 21:24
The only news that matters to me, so far, is the announcement of the COLT CLASSIC line which will be formally debuted in Jan. 2017

Just in time for Hillary to ban them :-) lol. Oye

Dave_M
05-23-16, 02:16
http://www.recoilweb.com/2106-nraam-ongoing-coverage-97717.html

Crappy cell video but good info.

Yeah, bandwidth was in short supply. Even very high priced internet access sometimes got overloaded, and it wasn't particularly fast to begin with.

Moose-Knuckle
05-23-16, 03:36
Colt put out the retro AR15 and XM177 carbine.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/05/21/nra-colt-classic/#comments

Holy chit that XM177 is pure sex. Looks like they intend to do a Commando as well as a GAU-5A/A.

Knowing my luck they will make a hundred of them and sell them all to an exclusive distro and will cost more than I am willing to pay for a title 1 AR-15.

Collectors pieces.

Moose-Knuckle
05-23-16, 03:37
I have yet to see anything from BCM. Anyone else?

I was hoping for a pic or two of their new polymer KeyMod handguards and stocks (Mod1?) . . .

Sam
05-23-16, 10:01
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_20904.JPG

I don't endorse his dad but it appears that they are courting the NRA vote heavily.

WickedWillis
05-23-16, 13:51
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_20904.JPG

I don't endorse his dad but it appears that they are courting the NRA vote heavily.

And they will most likely get it if he comes out and lays down that he will ignore or strike down any firearms legislation. NRA guys know what's at stake if Hillary wins.

Sam
05-23-16, 14:28
And they will most likely get it if he comes out and lays down that he will ignore or strike down any forearms legislation. NRA guys know what's at stake if Hillary wins.

The NRA did endorse the NY businessman.

WickedWillis
05-23-16, 14:42
The NRA did endorse the NY businessman.

I realize that. That however doesn't mean all of their members will endorse him. Worst election ever.

FlyingHunter
05-23-16, 19:21
Any new weapon lights similar to the xc-1?

Dave_M
05-25-16, 21:21
Any new weapon lights similar to the xc-1?

I didn't see any new ones, no. That said, I sure as heck didn't hit every booth.

WickedWillis
05-26-16, 11:06
I am kind of surprised HK mailed it in with the FDE VP9/40 and didn't even attempt to mention the VP9sk that is allegedly in development.

DreadPirateMoyer
05-26-16, 11:49
I am kind of surprised HK mailed it in with the FDE VP9/40 and didn't even attempt to mention the VP9sk that is allegedly in development.

Why would they? HK, unlike Glock, doesn't release guns until they're ready. Not releasing the inevitable VP9SK wasn't phoning it in. It's just quality product development.

It will come.

WickedWillis
05-26-16, 12:08
Why would they? HK, unlike Glock, doesn't release guns until they're ready. Not releasing the inevitable VP9SK wasn't phoning it in. It's just quality product development.

It will come.

I get that the big showing this NRA show was the MP5 civilian variant, but looking at their real market the last few years, the VP9 has been a goldmine for them. It was just a natural progression especially after announcing and releasing the P30sk at last years NRA show. They already have the frames made.