PDA

View Full Version : Groomsmen Gifts - Knives

Bogart
05-20-16, 14:51
Hey guys, getting married in the next few months and looking to do knives for my groomsmen gifts. I'm thinking about going with the Griptilian as a decent and versatile EDC knife that won't break the bank (I need 5 in total). It used to be my EDC knife before I got an SKD ZT. Anyway, they cheapest I've been able to find them for was $79.95 through GovX. Anyone know anywhere to get them cheaper? I realize $80 is already pretty low, but just checking to see if anyone knew of anything lower. Also, for those of you that have done knives for groomsmen gifts, what did you go with? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

JackFanToM
05-20-16, 15:37
In that price range I would personally go with the S30V Blur, the blade steel is quite a bit better than CPM 154. There are a few nice Spyderco options out there as well like the Manix 2 C101PBL2 or Spyderco Native with S35VN steel. Some other suggestions are the H&K mini axis (if you want the axis lock but better steel- has D2 steel),Lionsteel Daghetta with D2 (this is a bit more pricey around $85, and the Kershaw Knockout with Sandvik 14C28N Steel. Those are just a few in the $60-70 range if you shop around. Don't get me wrong, as I carry either a mini grip or a full size grip daily, but mine have custom handles (the ones they ship with are terrible imo), and mine have Doug Ritter blades made from m390....these are closer to $200 in cost, and are excellent. The base model Griptilians are overpriced imo, you pay for the Axis lock and the name, as the rest of the mats should have the Grips sub $50 easy, and mini Grips should be around $30. Personally, I would get the Blur, as they are assisted opening, you can get them around $70 with S30V, and if you want to stay under that you can get Sandvik models for around $50. Like the Grip, there are literally 100's of different styles and sprint runs, and they are hella fun to just flip open. You can remove the speed safe opening spring, and the detent still makes the knife super fast to open...like I said tons of options.

signal4l
05-20-16, 23:19
Give them waved delicas. The wave also makes an excellent beer bottle opener. I have yet to find a better knife for the money.

TheJawn
05-21-16, 00:24
$80 is the lowest price you can expect for new mini griptilians.

For a groomsman's present I'd personally recommend a Victorinox Swiss Army knife slightly ahead of a mini griptilian or delica. I own them all but love and use my "SAKs" the most. There are multiple choices at every price point up to that of a mini griptilian. Swisschamps and Cybertools near $80, delux tinkers, farmers, and trekkers at $40, cadets, spartans, and tinkers under $25.

Also, congratulations on getting hitched!

trinydex
05-21-16, 13:35
i've seen this done with griptilians. it made me envious. the grip is the most common benchmade and it's obviously one of the best edc options.

i've also seen engraved mora knives used as wedding gifts. they now offer full tang knives.

daddyusmaximus
05-21-16, 14:53
Whatever knife you go with, this is (supposed to be) a once in a lifetime event. Spring for some engraving on each one so it is a personal gift.

Congrats to you. I wish you both a lifetime of love and support.

bulldozer3
05-21-16, 15:40
I did benchmade north fork folders for my wedding a few months ago. If you order direct from their website you can get engraving on the blade... text or logos. The 4 knifes shipped the same week

Defaultmp3
05-21-16, 17:12
Benchmade offers a pro deal direct, and there are discount codes that can be found that you can stack on top to get a plain Jane Griptilian for under 60 USD before S&H. The pro deal also discounts any laser marking on the blades you want to spring for.

cwfunrider
05-21-16, 19:16
I received a Benchmade Griptilian as a groomsmen gift years ago. The groom had our initials engraved in the blade. I do not carry it any more since it has dulled and has some decent knicks from hard use. But it is still a treasured piece.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

HighDesert
05-21-16, 19:37
Went with a classic Case slip joint with a handle to match our wedding color - had the blades engraved with groomsmens initials. Very classy and everyone loved them and still uses them. My guys were not really knife people. Congrats!

Defaultmp3
05-21-16, 20:18
I received a Benchmade Griptilian as a groomsmen gift years ago. The groom had our initials engraved in the blade. I do not carry it any more since it has dulled and has some decent knicks from hard use. But it is still a treasured piece.Send it into Benchmade, their LifeSharp (https://www.benchmade.com/warranty-service) service will fix it up for the cost of shipping.

cwfunrider
05-21-16, 20:20
Send it into Benchmade, their LifeSharp service will fix it up for the cost of shipping.
I know. I am reluctant because if we're lost in transit, it would be gone forever.

Bogart
05-21-16, 22:40
Thanks for all the responses guys. You've definitely given me a lot to look into before buying.

JackFan, where have you found the Kershaw Blurs for $70? I looked on Blade HQ and Kershaw's websites and they were a bit more if I read correctly. Same for the Manix 2, they also seemed to be a bit more. But like both from what I've seen.

Thanks guys!

JackFanToM
05-22-16, 09:57
I received a Benchmade Griptilian as a groomsmen gift years ago. The groom had our initials engraved in the blade. I do not carry it any more since it has dulled and has some decent knicks from hard use. But it is still a treasured piece.

Ship it to me, for $20 I will make it sharper than factory and place a mirror polish on the edge.

JackFanToM
05-22-16, 10:04
Thanks for all the responses guys. You've definitely given me a lot to look into before buying.

JackFan, where have you found the Kershaw Blurs for $70? I looked on Blade HQ and Kershaw's websites and they were a bit more if I read correctly. Same for the Manix 2, they also seemed to be a bit more. But like both from what I've seen.

Thanks guys!

Found the s30v for $75 on Keyshaw guy

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/kershaw-new/blur-s30v-1670s30v-blem/

Found the manix 2 for about $73

Spyderco Manix2 Translucent Blue FRCP PlainEdge Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051HLOV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8OCqxbAA9X756

JackFanToM
05-22-16, 10:11
Here's the s30v blur for $70

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS1670S30V/kershaw-1670s30v-ken-onion-blur-assisted-s30v-stonewash-plain-blade-black-aluminum-handles

I actually love my blur, it really has a good in the hand feel. The manix 2 is like my zt0566, it just feels like a tank- really good for hard use, but as I wear a suit 5 days a week it isn't on my edc rotation (cept on weekends when in jeans).

nimdabew
05-25-16, 22:22
I did Kershaw Leek. I did black for the groomsmen, silver for the best man, and a composite blade for me :D

Dave_M
05-26-16, 22:46

I also received a Griptilian as a groomsman a few years ago and I know others (from different weddings) that also were gifted them. Seems like one of the more common 'pocketknife' presents, and infinitely more useful than a flask or something from Things Remembered.

I don't carry mine anymore, mostly because I now carry a much nicer knife. But, that Griptilian did ride in my pocket for over a year.

TMS951
05-27-16, 10:37
Whatever knife you go with, this is (supposed to be) a once in a lifetime event. Spring for some engraving on each one so it is a personal gift.

Congrats to you. I wish you both a lifetime of love and support.

This.

I am getting married in September. I purchased Benchmade 707 from knifeworks.com. They do free engraving. I had all the blades engraved with initials of each groomsmen and the wedding date. If I had it to do over I would have gone just with their initials. I am also getting custom scales made in germany for them to give them that custom touch. Every ones budget is different so I understand this is getting way past your budget.

knifeworks does have mini griptilians for 89$ with free engraving http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmademinigriptilianmdpplainedgeblackhandle.aspx#.V0hpbEs1bwI

Congrats on your wedding.