PDA

View Full Version : Glock Factory Slide Replacement

nml
05-22-16, 15:41
I am going to send my slide/gun to Glock and see if they will replace the slide. It is out of spec -- the extractor has insufficient contact with certain cases, resulting in poor/no contact with the ejector. Roughly a stoppage every few hundred rounds. I swapped in known extractor components and it is only this slide.

I would just dump it (GEN4 17) but don't want to stick someone else with it. Aftermarket slides cost more than a new gun.

Wish me luck.

boombotz401
05-22-16, 15:44
I'm sure Glock will make it right, might be worth having a certified armorer take a peek before you send it off too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
05-22-16, 16:44
If Glock won't make it right then I guess the aftermarket slide might be the only route. On the plus side some of those aftermarket slides are pretty nice. Primary Weapons System's slide evidently also has the added benefit of making the stock trigger pull much better. Can even be had with Trijicon HD's already installed.

nml
05-22-16, 17:08
Yes crossing fingers, otherwise expensive fix to get a proper working pistol. Will send them a bunch of cases so they can see the difference in extractor retention.

Coal Dragger I like their front serrations but they are Gen 3 slides only I think.

Coal Dragger
05-22-16, 18:39
Doh! Reading comprehension owned me again. Sorry.

I'd be surprised if Glock doesn't make it right though.

snakyjake
05-22-16, 21:31
I wish we could just buy a complete slide/upper.

elephantrider
05-22-16, 21:40
I wish we could just buy a complete slide/upper.

http://www.glockmeister.com/Complete-Slides/departments/106/

jck397
05-22-16, 22:08
I am going to send my slide/gun to Glock and see if they will replace the slide. It is out of spec -- the extractor has insufficient contact with certain cases, resulting in poor/no contact with the ejector. Roughly a stoppage every few hundred rounds. I swapped in known extractor components and it is only this slide.

I would just dump it (GEN4 17) but don't want to stick someone else with it. Aftermarket slides cost more than a new gun.

Wish me luck.

Good luck! I believe that Glock has been hesitant to acknowledge the out-of-spec slide/tolerance stacking problem (if that is, in fact, the cause of these malfunction/BTF issues--I suspect it is, but I'm far from an expert). Hopefully user Psalms144.1 will chime in at some point--IRRC he had 4 or 5 Gen. 4 19s go back to the factory, with a couple of them being "hand-picked" replacements. He might be able to steer you through the process on what has worked and what hasn't.

Have you looked at an Apex fix? That is another option.

nml
05-22-16, 23:35
I decided against sending it to Glock. There is no way it will stovepipe for them without putting hundreds of rounds through it. I don't find it realistic to ask them to fix it when it will likely run fine for them. This was probably why I never sent it in when I first bought it...

I just took a small pile of factory extractors and installed the one that felt tightest on the cases. I will bring the gun with me one day this week. Unless it shits the bed on the first couple hundred rounds I'll leave it there I guess.

Have you looked at an Apex fix? That is another option.I would need to contact Apex to see if they have changed the design since the prototypes/first run. Or for custom fitment. Without it the proto/first run doesn't work because of the out of spec slide. It is actually appeart to work ...the gun ejects better with almost every round! but over the course of the day I realized the problem ones (smallest cases) actually behave worse because of the different extractor geometry.

jck397
05-22-16, 23:52
I would need to contact Apex to see if they have changed the design since the prototypes/first run. Or for custom fitment. Without it the proto/first run doesn't work because of the out of spec slide. It is actually appeart to work ...the gun ejects better with almost every round! but over the course of the day I realized the problem ones (smallest cases) actually behave worse because of the different extractor geometry.

Their current extractors have a fitting pad that can be filed down to adjust the tension and accout for variancies in slide dimensions

Coal Dragger
05-23-16, 00:00
Hand fitting of parts like the extractor.

This is where a 1911 enthusiast should pop in, point, laugh, and tell the Glock guys that all their bitching about the 1911 needing hand fitting to work is now a moot point.

nml
05-23-16, 01:12
Their current extractors have a fitting pad that can be filed down to adjust the tension and accout for variancies in slide dimensionsThanks yeah mine have that. Maybe I'll talk to Apex and pick up another FRE for fitting purposes. Don't want to destroy one by mistake.

This is where a 1911 enthusiast should pop in, point, laugh, and tell the Glock guys that all their bitching about the 1911 needing hand fitting to work is now a moot point.Haha it appears so. Fortunately all the Glock NDs I have seen they shot the floor. The couple 1911 NDs they shot themselves. Probably just coincidence.

themonk
05-23-16, 06:31
Thanks yeah mine have that. Maybe I'll talk to Apex and pick up another FRE for fitting purposes. Don't want to destroy one by mistake.

Haha it appears so. Fortunately all the Glock NDs I have seen they shot the floor. The couple 1911 NDs they shot themselves. Probably just coincidence.

I see no reason not to send it back to GLOCK. You're not shipping the frame so you can send it via USPS if it fits it ships small box ($5). Let them measure every part of the slide. They may come back and say its in spec but it won't cost you anything to have them look at it + the will completely gut it and put in all new internals in it.

WillyB70
06-23-16, 15:19
Thanks yeah mine have that. Maybe I'll talk to Apex and pick up another FRE for fitting purposes. Don't want to destroy one by mistake.

Haha it appears so. Fortunately all the Glock NDs I have seen they shot the floor. The couple 1911 NDs they shot themselves. Probably just coincidence.

I would definitely send it in as it will be 100% when you get it back. Its either that or find a Glock armorer in your area they should be able to address your issue.