PDA

View Full Version : Twist rate for subsonic loads

acjones20
05-23-16, 19:03
I'm looking at a host for a silencerco Omega, and I'm down to a Savage 10p-sr or a Tikka T3 CTR. I know that the Tikka is the better rifle, but I would love the 1:10 twist of the savage for heavy subsonic loads. Would I really be giving up a lot on the Tikka with the 1:11? Also, the Tikka is a 20" and the Savage is 16"...I know that the extra barrel length helps with stabilization. Thanks.

Auto-X Fil
05-23-16, 19:55
Longer barrels only help with stability if you get more velocity from them. If you are loading to 1050fps anyway, barrel length is moot.

What bullets are you thinking of using for sub loads? If it's just "because you can", shoot light bullets and you'll be fine at 1:11.

My take... Subsonic .308 is kinda lame and finicky. Just buy a BLK if you really want quiet. .308 with a can isn't all that quiet, but it's still awesome, even supersonic.

Gunfixr
05-23-16, 21:31
Lapua makes a 200gr bullet specifically designed to be stable at subsonic velocities.
You could check their site for recommended twist rates.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

acjones20
05-23-16, 21:39
Longer barrels only help with stability if you get more velocity from them. If you are loading to 1050fps anyway, barrel length is moot.

What bullets are you thinking of using for sub loads? If it's just "because you can", shoot light bullets and you'll be fine at 1:11.

My take... Subsonic .308 is kinda lame and finicky. Just buy a BLK if you really want quiet. .308 with a can isn't all that quiet, but it's still awesome, even supersonic.

I was looking at the 200-220 gr bullets. I know that the 300blk is a better 30 caliber suppressed cartridge, but being able to shoot supersonic and subsonic out of the same platform is a plus, and the bolt-action subsonic 30 calibers are super-quiet with no action to operate.

Auto-X Fil
05-24-16, 05:19
I meant get a bolt-action BLK. The Ruger American is dirt cheap. And then you don't need to worry about compromised twist, different zeroes for sub/super, etc.

Bimmer
06-02-16, 02:27
I'm down to a Savage 10p-sr or a Tikka T3 CTR. I know that the Tikka is the better rifle...

FWIW, after a lot of research (I'm poor and have OCD), I bought a Savage 10 FCP-SR last year. Now that I've had it a while, if I had it to do over again, I would buy the same thing

I considered Tikka, but they didn't make what I wanted...

Tspeis
06-02-16, 15:51
I'm looking at a host for a silencerco Omega, and I'm down to a Savage 10p-sr or a Tikka T3 CTR. I know that the Tikka is the better rifle, but I would love the 1:10 twist of the savage for heavy subsonic loads. Would I really be giving up a lot on the Tikka with the 1:11? Also, the Tikka is a 20" and the Savage is 16"...I know that the extra barrel length helps with stabilization. Thanks.

I can't really comment on the quality of either rifle you mentioned, but here's my two cents strictly from a performance standpoint on the twist rate question. If you're open to buying a different barrel, perhaps you should consider looking into 1:8". The faster twist would provide better projectile stability at longer ranges using supersonic ammo and would be better suited for subsonic loads with heavy projectile weights than 1:10" or 1:11". This is especially true with short barrels. If getting another barrel isn't an option or you are set on one of the two mentioned in your post, I'd go with the 16" barrel with 1:10" twist.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Tspeis

waveslayer
06-02-16, 15:56

Amen and dead on

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Todd.K
06-02-16, 17:38
There is supersonic 300 BLK, so you can shoot subs and supers with one.

Do you reload?

Other than "host" and subsonic what uses are you trying to get out of this rifle?