PDA

View Full Version : KAC SR-25 and associated stuff Research Q

WillBrink
05-24-16, 10:31
Folks, I'm doing some research for part III of my fiction series (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?167590-Vacation-Gone-South-A-Novalla-%28my-latest-project%29) and want to incorporate a KAC-SR 25 rifle. One of my aims of the series has to be accurate on gear and other "gun guy" related info many authors in the genre often get wrong, ruining it for those who know differently.

I considered posting this in "beyond 5.56" section, but it includes additional gear and relates to fictional work vs real world shooting of said rifle. Kit they will have:

KAC Mk 11 Mod 0 Sniper Weapon System
Leupold Mark 4 Mil-dot scope attached
Suppressor
AN/PVS-30 clip-on sniper night sight attachment for the SR-25,
M151 Improved Spotting Scope

And course:

Hand loaded match grade 7.62 ammo for the rifle

Does that all add up/pass the smell test in terms of terminology etc? I know the SR 25 comes in various configs such as above, M110, etc for the mil.

Firefly
05-24-16, 11:44
Without spoilers or messing with your IP,
is this something personally purchased or are your guys "connected"?

Everything sounds right as a KAC haver (I popped an old Mk 4 M1 on one of my rifles)

Too poor for NV. Handloads are interesting but all my guns typically use FGMM 168 gr as A) I don't always have access to a long range range and B).it's easier.

The people I know who do handload say they get best out of a Bolt Action. I tried their stuff in my rifle and saw no huge difference. That may just be me.

Mk. 11s are classy but why not an ECC?
It pretty much does it all. Don't know about ACC or APC. But the ECC is so handy.

Hope that helps. Just remember that SR25s have no Forward Assist. Otherwise it's just a normal gas gun, chambered in .308, that is something the Lord made

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 12:05

Everything sounds right as a KAC haver (I popped an old Mk 4 M1 on one of my rifles)

Too poor for NV. Handloads are interesting but all my guns typically use FGMM 168 gr as A) I don't always have access to a long range range and B).it's easier.

The people I know who do handload say they get best out of a Bolt Action. I tried their stuff in my rifle and saw no huge difference. That may just be me.

It pretty much does it all. Don't know about ACC or APC. But the ECC is so handy.

Hope that helps. Just remember that SR25s have no Forward Assist. Otherwise it's just a normal gas gun, chambered in .308, that is something the Lord made

KAC Mk 11 Mod 0 are issued, ECC are uppers but not an established model in the supply chain.

To the OP

5R Obermeyer 20 inch were the original barrels
Harris bipod
Started with a 10 round magazine and transitioned into a 20.
Suppressor is unique since it attaches at the gas block.
Hand loads are also not used, M118LR is the typical load used.
Cleaning kit https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/sr-25-762-carbine-cleaning-kit or otis

Firefly
05-24-16, 12:13
What I mean is, are these guys renegades who have to get their own stash or are they given stuff?

And I dunno, there are quite a few MARSOC pics floating around with guys toting M110K1s which are just ECCs painted FDE.

Also is this a "period" piece? The first editions used Carbon Fibre handguards and a unique threaded gas block. Plus a 24" bbl.

Like early 2000s(I think) is when it became the iconic Mk. 11.

Not a military guy, just an obsessed outcast who has wiled his life away on KAC stuff for the past few years.

WillBrink
05-24-16, 12:52

Very connected, HSLD types.

Thanx, Choice of kit was mostly due to them being (apparently) in use and in the inventory of at least some SOF units. The hand loaded ammo was added for effect but makes sense in the context of the story.

WillBrink
05-24-16, 13:04
KAC Mk 11 Mod 0 are issued, ECC are uppers but not an established model in the supply chain.

To the OP

5R Obermeyer 20 inch were the original barrels
Harris bipod
Started with a 10 round magazine and transitioned into a 20.
Suppressor is unique since it attaches at the gas block.
Hand loads are also not used, M118LR is the typical load used.
Cleaning kit https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/sr-25-762-carbine-cleaning-kit or otis

Good info, thanx. I did see much of that while researching/asking around and such. The hand loads a present of sorts within the story line but I would have thought the mils tip of of the speer shooters using that gun would use match grade stuff at least. How good is the M118LR? I didn't expect anything made in large quantities for the mil by Lake City to be all that good, but topic is out of my lane.

WillBrink
05-24-16, 13:09
What I mean is, are these guys renegades who have to get their own stash or are they given stuff?

In this context, given stuff that will tend to be found used in other SMUs, such as DevGru, Delta, etc.

And I dunno, there are quite a few MARSOC pics floating around with guys toting M110K1s which are just ECCs painted FDE.

Also is this a "period" piece? The first editions used Carbon Fibre handguards and a unique threaded gas block. Plus a 24" bbl.

Not a military guy, just an obsessed outcast who has wiled his life away on KAC stuff for the past few years.

Not a period piece, current day. Mk 11 not current nomenclature?

Firefly
05-24-16, 13:10
I see. If they are that connected, ECC or APC.

If I could have any optic for my ECC, It would be a Nightforce ATACR 4-16

QDC suppressor that attaches to MAMS.

Not so savvy on the most high speed NVG, but the URX has a bit of real estate to it. So it should clip on, no issue.

ACS stock.
MIAD grip

Most people won't picture a Mk. 11 unless you say "It looks like a big M16 that fires a bigger bullet". So explaining an ECC would be "It looks like a big M4 that fires a big bullet"

Because when I took my SR25 out with a buddy on some land, his other buddy said "That looks like a big M4" and he had no knowledge of anything KAC

I speak from the vantage point of someone who got his stuff in lieu of a new car so...I'm not military but, I don't know why a current secret squirrel would actively pick a longpike rifle over something just as accurate but more compact.

Just some thoughts.
Good luck spinning another yarn of daring-do

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 13:44
Good info, thanx. I did see much of that while researching/asking around and such. The hand loads a present of sorts within the story line but I would have thought the mils tip of of the speer shooters using that gun would use match grade stuff at least. How good is the M118LR? I didn't expect anything made in large quantities for the mil by Lake City to be all that good, but topic is out of my lane.

Same projectile as FGMM.

7.62 × 51mm M118LR Long Range: A 175-grain round using Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail projectiles. 7.62mm M118 Long Range Performance Data:
Muzzle velocity (nominal): 2,580 feet per second (786 m/s)
Chamber pressure (typical): 52,000 psi (360 MPa)
Action time (max): 4 ms
Average horizontal spread at 1,000 metres (1,094 yd): 10.3 in (0.899 MOA)
Average vertical spread at 1,000 metres (1,094 yd): 14 in (1.222 MOA)[8]

So it is more or less MOA.

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 13:46

They are not "technically" using M110K1, they are just M110 with the upper replacement SKU, just like the butstock 25951 SKU. Not sure there is an NSN at all for them.

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 13:47
In this context, given stuff that will tend to be found used in other SMUs, such as DevGru, Delta, etc.

Not a period piece, current day. Mk 11 not current nomenclature?

M110 would be more current, if navy Mk 11 Mod 2

WillBrink
05-24-16, 15:18
M110 would be more current, if navy Mk 11 Mod 2

Tanx, I have altered the wording in such a way that should cover it hopefully.

mack7.62
05-24-16, 19:29
Current HSLD would be using M110K1 or ACC, bout a 7 lb difference between those two and a M110. Ammo would be Mk316 Mod 0, which is much more accurate than most M118 LR. Also Mk4 Leupold is a very dated scope, I would think at the very least it would be a Mk6 3-18 if not a Nightforce or S&B.

WillBrink
05-24-16, 19:42
Current HSLD would be using M110K1 or ACC, bout a 7 lb difference between those two and a M110. Ammo would be Mk316 Mod 0, which is much more accurate than most M118 LR.

7lbs?! Wow, that's quite a difference.

mack7.62
05-24-16, 19:51

You can get info on the KAC website, but yeah 16 lbs for M110 vs just over/under 9 for K1 or ACC.

https://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/m110/?cate_cm=military&term=m110&features=m110

Firefly
05-24-16, 19:58

Indeed. My SR25 EMR 24" is a pig.
It's a laser but makes a better Crow's Nest.

An ECC really does feel more wieldly. Literally like a big M4.

With all due respect to Digital Damage, 'Mk. 11 Mod 2' is pretty technical.
A person who likes thrillers but isn't a gun person would get lost in translation of numbers and letters.

SR-25 Carbine or M110K1 is more palpable, easily researchable, and gets the point a cross. Plus I imagine meat eaters would be like "Oh yeah, I'm tracking".

I'm no author or secret squirrel but have written enough reports in my life that have to be easily understood by 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty that some things can be technically correct and still flow better.

Disclaimer: while I have an SR25, I'm about as HSLD as a fat kid peddling uphill on a comically small girl's bike.

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 20:22
Current HSLD would be using M110K1 or ACC, bout a 7 lb difference between those two and a M110. Ammo would be Mk316 Mod 0, which is much more accurate than most M118 LR. Also Mk4 Leupold is a very dated scope, I would think at the very least it would be a Mk6 3-18 if not a Nightforce or S&B.

NSN: 1305-01-576-6944 is not widely available outside of the Navy it was developed by NavSea. The accuracy is only a .1 improvement(same projectile) and was really designed to address gas issues M118LR exhibited in autoloaders. Was specifically designed for the MK11 MOD 2 and MK17.

As far as I know MK4 is still the primary deployment package scope for the MK 11 MOD 2.

The M110K1 is not valid , MK11 MOD 2 is still the designation. The M110K1 "upgrade" is just a NSN Upper and Butstock replacement kit.

Digital_Damage
05-24-16, 20:23
Indeed. My SR25 EMR 24" is a pig.
It's a laser but makes a better Crow's Nest.

An ECC really does feel more wieldly. Literally like a big M4.

With all due respect to Digital Damage, 'Mk. 11 Mod 2' is pretty technical.
A person who likes thrillers but isn't a gun person would get lost in translation of numbers and letters.

SR-25 Carbine or M110K1 is more palpable, easily researchable, and gets the point a cross. Plus I imagine meat eaters would be like "Oh yeah, I'm tracking".

I'm no author or secret squirrel but have written enough reports in my life that have to be easily understood by 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty that some things can be technically correct and still flow better.

Disclaimer: while I have an SR25, I'm about as HSLD as a fat kid peddling uphill on a comically small girl's bike.

I was under the impression he was looking for as accurate as possible, he is looking for specific "gun guy" terminology. Am I going of the rails here Will?

WillBrink
05-24-16, 20:48
I was under the impression he was looking for as accurate as possible, he is looking for specific "gun guy" terminology. Am I going of the rails here Will?

Here's what I have so far gents based on what I have gotten from this thread attempting to keep both gun guys and non happy:

"One case contained the upper and lower of an SR-25 Sniper Weapon System made by the knights Armament Company (KAC) with a Leupold Mark 4 Mil-dot scope mounted. A quick change suppressor rested in its slot in the specially made pocket. For those of you who are not “gun guys” the KAC SR-25 and it’s various configurations such as the Mk 11 Mod 2 , M110K1, and others, is based on the AR platform first developed by the late Eugene Stoner, so it looks like a big beefy M16 essentially. The SR stands for Stoner Rifle or Stoner Rifle-25."

Firefly
05-24-16, 20:58
Yeah ties the not up perfectly but can we replace "Leupold Mk 4" with "Nightforce 4-16 ATACR rested in a beefy Spuhr scopemount. The scope is crystal clear with a quick reticle allowing the triggerman to be accurate and deadly. It made the already menacing rifle even more imposing. Just add match grade ammo, recipe for a bad day for (insert bad guy here)"

But hey just brainstorming.

Otherwise good compromise.

andy t
05-24-16, 21:02
Yeah ties the not up perfectly but can we replace "Leupold Mk 4" with "Nightforce 4-16 ATACR rested in a beefy Spuhr scopemount. The scope is crystal clear with a quick reticle allowing the triggerman to be accurate and deadly. It made the already menacing rifle even more imposing. Just add match grade ammo, recipe for a bad day for (insert bad guy here)"

But hey just brainstorming.

Otherwise good compromise.

Agreed. While MK4/Mildot is a good scope, it's a decade+ old tech. And the reticles have progressed far beyond mil dots. Being a Leupold fan, my current favorite would be either the Mark 6 3-18 with TMR or possibly H52 or 1-6 with M-TMR. Alternatively MK8, 1.1-8 is another good option.
Or you could go all out and equip them with S&B 1-8.

Moose-Knuckle
05-25-16, 03:33
Will have you thought about reaching out to our KAC guys here; Failure2Stop or KevinB?

I'm sure they can give you some expert technical advise on the matter.

WillBrink
05-25-16, 06:52
Will have you thought about reaching out to our KAC guys here; Failure2Stop or KevinB?

I sent a PM to Failure2Stop when I posted the OP, yup.

mack7.62
05-25-16, 10:52

Dude, KevinB quit KAC and went to work at FN on the SCAR program like a year ago.

Moose-Knuckle
05-26-16, 02:42
Dude, KevinB quit KAC and went to work at FN on the SCAR program like a year ago.

Didn't know, thanks for the heads up.