PDA

View Full Version : A Thumbs-Up for Gun Vault Customer Service

blackscot
08-27-08, 10:02
I use one of these to secure the "house" gun in a readily accessible config. See here:

http://www.gunvault.com/

After a couple of years of trouble-free daily operation, the unit went on the fritz, apperently from a non-user servicable component of the locking mechanism.

I put in a call to their toll-free number, described the problem to the courteous and professionally behaving person on the other end, and was advised that a replacement item would be shipped to me along with a pre-paid shipping label to return the defective unit.

The replacement arrived within a week, and was summarily put into service without further problem.

Gun Vault has dun gud by me ! ! ! ;)

Rinspeed
08-28-08, 06:27
That's good to hear. I've had mine for seven years now and not a single problem.

blackscot
06-30-11, 11:42
HOLY RESSURECTED THREAD BATMAN ! ! !

Just shy of 3 years since getting the unit replaced, its successor has developed the same problem. I recall distinctly from the first time around: after keying in the combination it makes a whirring sound but fails to open.

Even though they replaced the original unit quickly and free-of-charge, I'm not sure I feel like hassling with going through the same excersize again. Maybe I'll just start all over with an entirely different make/model, even though the cost will be out-of-pocket.

MOTRON
06-30-11, 17:08
You never know... they may send you the "new" model since it's been so long and no longer have the others.

sgtjosh
06-30-11, 21:16
Give it a try. Even if you want to try a new make/model, you can sell the replacement they send.

nfranco
06-30-11, 21:31
blackscot,
is the gun completely inaccessible when the vault fails or is there some back up way to get in?
thank you,
nick

Hizzie
06-30-11, 21:37
I had a 5900 fail on me, selenoid went bad. Luckily I was able to get into it 1 last time with a little slap from a shoe right above the selenoid. After 4 weeks of phone tag with GV's lone Tech Support guy they sent me out a complete package of computer, selenoid and wiring. Too bad they had changed the design and it would not fit, nor would GV do anything else for me. Safe is now a fancy locker with a hasp and padlock. I will never buy from GunVault or Cannon again. A V-Line lock box with mechanical lock now resides next to the bed.

rob_s
06-30-11, 21:40
That's a little disconcerting. I've been considering one of these. Any kind of warning that the issue on brewing?

blackscot
07-01-11, 05:58
Thanks for the replies guys.

.....is the gun completely inaccessible when the vault fails or is there some back up way to get in?.......

In addition to the electronic mechanism, the unit is also opens with a key lock (one of those circular types like vending machines often have). I don't think I would get any kind of electronic safe without some form of mechanical backup. Right now I'm continuing to use it with just the key, but for various reasons related to how I come and go this arrangement isn't as secure as having the combination mechanism functional.

I had a 5900 fail on me, selenoid went bad.........After 4 weeks of phone tag with GV's lone Tech Support guy they sent me out a complete package of computer, selenoid and wiring. Too bad they had changed the design and it would not fit, nor would GV do anything else for me. Safe is now a fancy locker with a hasp and padlock. I will never buy from GunVault or Cannon again. A V-Line lock box with mechanical lock now resides next to the bed.

Sounds like the same problem I had with the original unit and now with the current one. As indicated from the OP from 3 years ago, GV responded right away for me on the first incidence, but in my case they sent a whole new unit along with paying postage for me to return the old one.

I also have a much older, totally mechanical pistol safe by Cannon that my wife's M&P9 is currently kept in. It has never presented any problem and I'm thinking of getting another one to replace the Gun Vault. I no longer see this item on Cannon's web site though, so I dont' know if they are still available.

That V-Line stuff looks really good too, and appears to have the same type of mechanism that my old Cannon has. I might end up going with one of those -- thanks for the steer.

.....Any kind of warning that the issue on brewing?

Nope, pretty much fritzed on-the-spot. The unit has the backup key as described above though.

Hizzie
07-01-11, 11:08
Any kind of warning that the issue on brewing?

Nope, just an Oh shit! Couldn't get into the safe until I actually spoke with GV. The Tech Guy gave me explicit instructions on how to drill out my selenoid if the shoe trick didn't work. My safe was only 18mo old.

uwe1
07-01-11, 11:15
I have two of the Mini Deluxe models. Both are not my primary use safe so they don't receive a lot of usage. As it stands, both are in concealed, but quick access areas around the house. I open them once a month to verify function.

I got mine a little over two years ago and they still work.

I did a little Google research before and after I purchased them. It seems like the problem is the way the latch mechanism is attached to the motor. Eventually, some kind of metal fatigue takes place and the cable to the latch breaks. After that, only the key will work.

blackscot
07-01-11, 13:24
......It seems like the problem is the way the latch mechanism is attached to the motor. Eventually, some kind of metal fatigue takes place and the cable to the latch breaks. After that, only the key will work.

Hmm......:blink:

Planned obsolescence?

ssracer
07-01-11, 14:17
I experienced the same cable break with my original GV after several years. Never even thought to call them. I tried numerous cable like materials to fix the issue but none would worl well enough. Ended up trashing the locking mechanism in the process so I bought a new one and shot the old one...lol

Powder_Burn
07-01-11, 14:28
Ordered two GunVault micros at the same time and both failed almost immediately. One arrived with non-functioning electronics while the the other lasted 20 minutes before the latch mechanism failed. They must have zero to little QC otherwise #1 wouldn't have left the factory dead. Customer service was A+ but I would rather have a trustworthy product and not need it. All the other electronic handgun safes I reviewed in person seem to be similar Chinese junk.

Tried V-line too, but it was too bulky for a nightstand as is the Fort Knox. Much better products though...