PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing Glock Mag Failure Today.

Straight Shooter
05-24-16, 22:27
Was at the range today chrono'ing several different loads { All Chrono info is in the Terminal Ballistics Forum now}, was alone thankfully until I was about ready to go, when an od gent pulled up, and we got to talking. Nicest guy I ever met..ex NASA engineer and an old Submariner to boot.
Anyway- he had never shot a 45. So I said " Well today is the day Sir", and grabbed the G41 & a mag loaded with 13 230gr Ball rounds. Showed him a little about the Ameriglo CAP sights, and with the slide locked back, I inserted the mag and BAM..all a sudden rounds & mag parts flew everywere. I was very embarrassed, went and got him another mag, and he really enjoyed it. But now..NOW..Im perturbed to say the least. Told him Ive got to find out what happened, cause now Im unsure about my piece!
Turns out..thankfully..it was on old, old range mag, one of three I keep from the AW Ban that ended in '04. Got the LE/GOV ONLY markings on em. They were well used when I got them, and Ive had them for over 10 years, and use them at every range trip. The base plate just popped right off, and everything spilled out. Had that happened to a new mag, man Id be shittin bricks. The mag has been a good one, but I wont fix it anymore.
Ive also used 3 22round ETS mags and two 31 round ETS mags a bunch today,they are still running 100%, fwiw.

HeruMew
05-24-16, 22:41
Wow! How embaressing, especially when you're trying to give the guy a good perception of round and equipment fails.

Always cool to hear about sharing some time and ammo with another in the firearms community.

As always, thanks for sharing your awesome story.

tacticaldesire
05-24-16, 22:52
Embarrassing indeed. Good thing you had a fresh one. Unfortunately magazines don't last forever. We have lots of old AWB era mags at work we use on range days that have been beat to hell and carried for years before they were put on the range. Slowly they are starting to go down but I'm amazed at how strong some of the springs still are on most of them.

Are you able to fix it with a new baseplate or is the whole mag shot?

Straight Shooter
05-24-16, 22:55
Embarrassing indeed. Good thing you had a fresh one. Unfortunately magazines don't last forever. We have lots of old AWB era mags at work we use on range days that have been beat to hell and carried for years before they were put on the range. Slowly they are starting to go down but I'm amazed at how strong some of the springs still are on most of them.

Are you able to fix it with a new baseplate or is the whole mag shot?

Ive decided to just keep it to show young-uns what a "banned" mag was. Some never even heard of the AW Ban. Also, just last week that mag as nose diving rounds while my gf was shooting it, so nah...it goes into the History bin. Still got two others tho.
Yes, the base plate just popped off, and the rim looksvery worn down around the bottom of the mag. Its shot.

jpmuscle
05-25-16, 00:54
And here begins the internet legend that is glock mags suck. Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tacticaldesire
05-25-16, 01:17

You heard it here first folks!

But seriously, the way gun forums work, this will hit all the forums by tomorrow morning and before we know it we have a decade old myth.

ramairthree
05-25-16, 01:23
How did you notice with all the brass hitting you in the face?

Was he able to get through the whole mag without limp wresting malfunctions?

Hell,
I still have non drop free mags running strong, let alone AWB era.
And with a metal baseplate they drop free.

TheChunkNorris
05-25-16, 04:38

But but... what if you put a VP9 in water? Tim said it'll stop shooting? The internet is a beautiful thing. OP a buddy of mine has a AR45 that uses Glock mags, he slapped the bottom while inserting the mag and the same thing happened... at a machine-gun/suppressed shoot... with a bunch of people around and everyone saw it happen.

Straight Shooter
05-25-16, 07:18
But but... what if you put a VP9 in water? Tim said it'll stop shooting? The internet is a beautiful thing. OP a buddy of mine has a AR45 that uses Glock mags, he slapped the bottom while inserting the mag and the same thing happened... at a machine-gun/suppressed shoot... with a bunch of people around and everyone saw it happen.

That really is some embarrassing stuff...but if your around firearms a lot stuff is gonna happen. It all goes to show & prove that at some point EVERYTHING BREAKS I reckon. As I posted in the Shotgun forum..many years ago I was running my Winchester 1200 Riot thru some buckshot. Had installed an extended mag tube many months before along with a clamp...partway thru I see parts and rounds poppin out the front..the damned extension broke! Yet another red face moment.
And I sure didn't mean to start another rumor/legend!! Ha...very funny.

Arik
05-25-16, 07:54
Don't know if I'd be shitting bricks if that happened to me. I'd just assume it was a faulty mag and move on. Even new mags can be bad

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bulletdog
05-25-16, 12:04
I've loaded and shot a hell-uva-lotta Glock mags, but this is a new one for me. That is a malfunction drill that I have not practiced for… :)

sevenhelmet
05-25-16, 12:19
Man, I'm glad I've never spent money on one of them toy Glocks if the mags only last 10 years... ;)

Relax, I'm KIDDING!

Kain
05-25-16, 12:22
I have seen this happen before. usually with guys running extended base plates, the reason i dont run said plates for serious use guns. I have even seen it happen to a guy at a shoot with two mags back to back. shoot. mag dumps guts. reload and next mag dumps guts. made for some chuckles and really nice reaction to the malf/issue to get the gun back up and complete the stage. the gun and mags both had been run hard as well.. i chalk it up to everything can wear and break and move on.

samuse
05-25-16, 19:44
I saw that happen to a Glock 21SF at a qualification I was RO'ing at back in 2007 or 8. Mag was fairly new, just decided to puke it's guts up that day.

tacticaldesire
05-25-16, 22:32
I saw that happen to a Glock 21SF at a qualification I was RO'ing at back in 2007 or 8. Mag was fairly new, just decided to puke it's guts up that day.

Happened to a buddy of mine. He used to CCW a double stack 1911, some freak thing happened when he was standing up or sitting down (can't remember) and 14 rounds of .45 proceeded to spill and scatter all over the floor at McDonalds.

Phillygunguy
05-28-16, 09:13
That sucks. But goes to show you all magazines are disposable items

Bret
05-31-16, 16:08
I have seen this happen before. usually with guys running extended base plates,
This happened to a friend of mine. He placed an order with CDNN for something else and received a couple of +2 floor plate extensions for free. He installed one on his carry gun. It was on there for a while until one day he was driving down the road and the magazine unloaded itself inside his glove box. Needless to say, he doesn't use the extensions now.