PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle Has Arrived: Beanland 6.5 Creedmoor

FourT6and2
05-25-16, 01:27
This is my first bolt-action rifle and it's been about 12-15 months in the making.

I ordered all the parts last spring. The action took about 5 months, barrel was in stock at BugHoles, the stock took about 4 months (the first time), but arrived with the wrong color. So that took another 3.5 months to get a new one. Sent it all off to Jon Beanland and he did his thing.

It arrived today. I've been running the bolt and dry firing and whatnot and everything seems great. I have a bunch of dummy rounds and it feeds smoothly.

I don't have a cleaning rod quite long enough yet, so I can't get to the range to break it in until I get a longer one and clean this thing.

But I'm psyched! I'll be up at Sac Valley on the 1,000-yard range in June to put this thing to the test during a long-range competition clinic :)

Specs:

Defiance Deviant Tactical, 20 MOA rail, blind bolt release, longer side port
Bartlein M24/M40, 26", 4-groove, 1:8 twist
Kampfeld Customs brake
Surgeon DBM
McMillan A5-Adjustable in 50% black, 25% medium grey, 25% light grey
KMW Loggerhead cheekpiece hardware
Jewell trigger @ 1.5lbs (I also have a Timney Calvin Elite)
Seekins rings
Tangent Theta 5-25 scope

I'll post an update once I get some rounds down range! Hopefully this weekend.

http://orig02.deviantart.net/5d78/f/2016/145/7/6/darkknight_by_haftelm-da3t6z0.jpg

Auto-X Fil
05-25-16, 07:36
Really nice! What bullets are you starting with? Berger 140 Hybrids?

Kirkrv8
05-25-16, 07:47
Would like to hear your thoughts on the TT once you have some time on it.

FourT6and2
05-25-16, 09:28
Really nice! What bullets are you starting with? Berger 140 Hybrids?

My goal with this rifle was to be able to use factory-loaded ammo, because I don't hand load yet. I don't really have the time, nor the space to load my own. So I have a few different factory loads to work with. But for now, I'll stick with Hornady 140 A-Max or the new ELD-M. But I have some other stuff from Copper Creek loaded with Berger Hybrids, 139 Lapua Scenar, and I think something else I can't remember.

Would like to hear your thoughts on the TT once you have some time on it.

I've had the scope for about 8-10 months. And I mounted it to a friend's rifle for a while, which I was using. So I have a bit of time behind the glass. It's pretty awesome, frankly. Much better than other comparable scopes I've tried (S&B, Kahles, Nightgforce, USO, etc.). Optical quality is outstanding. Turrets feel great. Parallax works as it should and is easy to get your target in focus. Illumination is the only weak point I can see. It's not very bright, even at dusk. But whatever, most people don't use it I guess. If you have night vision, it probably works great. But I'm not a soldier. In any event, I'm quite happy with it. The reticle could use some work though. the Gen 2 XR isn't my favorite. I would love if it had 0.2 Mil hash marks on the windage instead of 0.5 Mil. Because I hold for wind; I don't dial. The Kahles SKMR reticle is my favorite.

Auto-X Fil
05-25-16, 09:29
The ELD stuff should work just fine for you. And honestly, the price is pretty darned close to reloading.

Lemme know if you want to recoup a little money off the brass... I could use some once-fired.

FourT6and2
05-25-16, 09:30
The ELD stuff should work just fine for you. And honestly, the price is pretty darned close to reloading.

Lemme know if you want to recoup a little money off the brass... I could use some once-fired.

I'll be keeping the brass :) So when I do start re-loading, I'll have it.

taliv
05-25-16, 14:42
wow, that's a really nice setup!

how did you compare the TT to the S&B? what specifically about it do you like better?

FourT6and2
05-25-16, 14:48
wow, that's a really nice setup!

how did you compare the TT to the S&B? what specifically about it do you like better?

I've used the S&B PMII 5-25 on a friend's rifle. It has nice glass and all that. Maybe my memory is betraying me, but I remember it tunneling. But that's not a deal breaker, as I rarely shoot at 5-10x anyway. But beyond that the S&B scope feels outdated to me. The design. The ergonomics. The zero functionality. It was all very rugged, but dated. There was a bit of aberration as well. The TT has the least amount of aberration I've encountered. I love the tool-less zero ability. And the whole scope looks and feels modern and well-made. The turrets are also lightyears better than any other scope I've handled. The Kahles reticles are the best in my opinion. And the only other scope that jumped out at me as being really really good (which surprised me) was the Vortex HD Gen II 4.5-27. That scope is reasonably priced and felt like it was made of solid metal. The turrets were ok. A little numb. And I don't much care for the push/pull locking feature. But the optical quality was good and the eye box was more forgiving than the TT. But overall, the TT is my favorite so far, all around.

Kirkrv8
05-25-16, 15:39
Thanks for the insight! I am building a 6.5 CM and was looking at a TT
Beautiful rifle you have

wilson1911
05-25-16, 17:56
Nice stick, your going to love the defiant action. I have one on my 6x47.

Jwknutson17
05-25-16, 19:28
Awesome Rig. Love that TT optic. Let us know how it shoots.

FourT6and2
05-26-16, 16:37
Here's another photo just because:

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/13259586_1147244615318493_328908436_n.jpg

FourT6and2
05-28-16, 22:23
Got out to the range today. Brought two factory loads with me: 140 A-MAX and 140 ELD-M. Seems like the rifle hates A-MAX. Either that or it just took a while to "break in" or something. I started off with A-MAX and was pretty disappointed. Shot 60 rounds of that, then switched to ELD-M and shot 48 rounds. I'm pretty happy with the ELD-M. But it was seriously windy. The target was actually bouncing around in the wind and I had to time my shots appropriately.

I only had time to chrono the ELD-M

Wind: Gusts up to 14 MPH
Altitude: 184 ft.
Density Alt: 2450
Temp: 88.4 F
Humidity: 20.8%
Baro: 29.6
Station Pr.: 29.61

Average Velocity: 2834 fps
SD: 14.4
ES: 57

The SD and ES are pretty big. And the average velocity seems a bit low for a 26" barrel. But maybe someone can chime in. Seems like the ammo is just really inconsistent.

I also couldn't get a perfect zero. Sometimes the shots would land dead center. But most of the time the groups were all over the place. They were grouping, but the groups were not consistently placed. I think the wind had something to do with it.

The very first five rounds:

http://orig11.deviantart.net/9395/f/2016/149/e/1/amax3_by_haftelm-da4a1gr.jpg

Other best groups with AMAX:

http://orig00.deviantart.net/d20d/f/2016/149/9/3/amax5_by_haftelm-da4a1gi.jpg
http://orig13.deviantart.net/546d/f/2016/149/8/b/amax2_by_haftelm-da4a1hf.jpg
http://orig05.deviantart.net/0361/f/2016/149/b/c/amax1_by_haftelm-da4a1hm.jpg

Groups with ELD-M (much better):

http://orig12.deviantart.net/93e5/f/2016/149/c/5/eldm1_by_haftelm-da4a1hs.jpg
http://orig15.deviantart.net/8bb7/f/2016/149/2/5/eldm2_by_haftelm-da4a1h9.jpg
http://orig03.deviantart.net/3b66/f/2016/149/d/6/eldm3_by_haftelm-da4a1h5.jpg
http://orig11.deviantart.net/1d76/f/2016/149/7/2/eldm4_by_haftelm-da4a1gx.jpg

Koshinn
05-28-16, 22:48
My goal with this rifle was to be able to use factory-loaded ammo, because I don't hand load yet. I don't really have the time, nor the space to load my own. So I have a few different factory loads to work with. But for now, I'll stick with Hornady 140 A-Max or the new ELD-M. But I have some other stuff from Copper Creek loaded with Berger Hybrids, 139 Lapua Scenar, and I think something else I can't remember.

I've had the scope for about 8-10 months. And I mounted it to a friend's rifle for a while, which I was using. So I have a bit of time behind the glass. It's pretty awesome, frankly. Much better than other comparable scopes I've tried (S&B, Kahles, Nightgforce, USO, etc.). Optical quality is outstanding. Turrets feel great. Parallax works as it should and is easy to get your target in focus. Illumination is the only weak point I can see. It's not very bright, even at dusk. But whatever, most people don't use it I guess. If you have night vision, it probably works great. But I'm not a soldier. In any event, I'm quite happy with it. The reticle could use some work though. the Gen 2 XR isn't my favorite. I would love if it had 0.2 Mil hash marks on the windage instead of 0.5 Mil. Because I hold for wind; I don't dial. The Kahles SKMR reticle is my favorite.

The new Hornady ELD-X has been about 0.5 MOA out of the box for me in 6.5 Creedmoor. Every time I go to the store, I have to weigh the price savings and minimal precision increase with handloads vs just buying ELD-X and not worrying about it.

Never used ELD-M before, but that looks like a winner!

FourT6and2
05-29-16, 00:34
The new Hornady ELD-X has been about 0.5 MOA out of the box for me in 6.5 Creedmoor. Every time I go to the store, I have to weigh the price savings and minimal precision increase with handloads vs just buying ELD-X and not worrying about it.

Never used ELD-M before, but that looks like a winner!

Yeah, seems to shoot ok! I might try the ELD-X at some point.

Rekkr870
05-29-16, 03:04
Your rifle is awesome.

The velocity for the ELD-M looks about right, mine is 2,744 FPS out of a 24" barrel.

Personally, if my rifle shot .2's and .3's with factory ammunition I would not spend a dime on reloading equipment lol.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Auto-X Fil
05-29-16, 07:24
SD of 14 is excellent for any factory ammo.

Velocity looks pretty strong to me - I think they advertise 2750 out of a 24" tube, right?

FourT6and2
05-29-16, 10:28
Oh ok, I guess I was going by typical reports for hand loads then. Yeah, sub-1/4 MOA is about all I can ask for haha!

Jwknutson17
05-30-16, 07:13
Your rifle is awesome.

The velocity for the ELD-M looks about right, mine is 2,744 FPS out of a 24" barrel.

Personally, if my rifle shot .2's and .3's with factory ammunition I would not spend a dime on reloading equipment lol.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

This times a million. If I saw .2 and .3 moa groups, I would be buying that ammo in bulk and picking up a new hobby with all the time saved on not reloading. What a tack driver and excellent shooting.

FourT6and2
05-30-16, 08:21
This times a million. If I saw .2 and .3 moa groups, I would be buying that ammo in bulk and picking up a new hobby with all the time saved on not reloading. What a tack driver and excellent shooting.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm trying to buy a shit-ton of ELD-M now. The problem with factory ammo, even if it shoots well, is I can't chase the lands as the throat erodes. Let's say the barrel has like... I dunno... a few thousand rounds of life. But that's if you load your own and can keep up with erosion. So I'm guessing I probably have half the normal barrel life with factory ammo unless I can switch to a new brand that has a longer seating depth down the line.

Also, I can't seem to find a place with reasonable prices that will ship to me (I'm in California). A lot of stores have really insane policies where they won't ship here, even though it's totally legal. The place I've been buying from just informed me they will no longer ship to my location... For NO REASON.

FourT6and2
06-12-16, 20:18
I shot a High Power 3x600 today and had a great time! Right out of the gate I put 8 shots in a row in the three-inch X-Ring @ 600 yards. I don't think I'll be able to ever repeat that. But wow... I'm happy. And that's with factory ammo. Shot a 563-13X overall. No complaints with this rifle. I wanted something accurate with factory ammo and I got it. :D

http://orig15.deviantart.net/2ad5/f/2016/164/7/2/scorecard_by_haftelm-da65fdv.jpg

jethroUSMC
06-13-16, 14:26
Jon builds a fantastic rifle. Also if you sign up for a match and he's shooting in it, probably the best you'll place is 2nd.

jbjh
06-17-16, 11:27
This is my first bolt-action rifle and it's been about 12-15 months in the making.

I ordered all the parts last spring. The action took about 5 months, barrel was in stock at BugHoles, the stock took about 4 months (the first time), but arrived with the wrong color. So that took another 3.5 months to get a new one. Sent it all off to Jon Beanland and he did his thing.

It arrived today. I've been running the bolt and dry firing and whatnot and everything seems great. I have a bunch of dummy rounds and it feeds smoothly.

I don't have a cleaning rod quite long enough yet, so I can't get to the range to break it in until I get a longer one and clean this thing.

But I'm psyched! I'll be up at Sac Valley on the 1,000-yard range in June to put this thing to the test during a long-range competition clinic :)

Specs:

Defiance Deviant Tactical, 20 MOA rail, blind bolt release, longer side port
Bartlein M24/M40, 26", 4-groove, 1:8 twist
Kampfeld Customs brake
Surgeon DBM
McMillan A5-Adjustable in 50% black, 25% medium grey, 25% light grey
KMW Loggerhead cheekpiece hardware
Jewell trigger @ 1.5lbs (I also have a Timney Calvin Elite)
Seekins rings
Tangent Theta 5-25 scope

I'll post an update once I get some rounds down range! Hopefully this weekend.

http://orig02.deviantart.net/5d78/f/2016/145/7/6/darkknight_by_haftelm-da3t6z0.jpg

Ooohhh! I've wanted a Beanland since I first heard of him. This is more fuel for the fire.

Congrats on the rifle - it's definitely a shooter!

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy