PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg Gets Trigger Happy

wilson1911
05-25-16, 02:31
I was at the range today and while we were talking about random stuff, someone mentioned that Mossberg is starting to sue multiple drop-in trigger makers. Seems they purchased the patent and are in the beginning phase of dragging company's to court.

Does anyone know how many company's make drop-ins ?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/05/foghorn/mossberg-starts-suing-drop-trigger-makers-patent-infringement/

Vandal
05-25-16, 10:03
It looks like they are going after the companies who aren't paying royalties for patent infringement. Pretty sure I saw it on Wilson Combat's Facebook page where they openly say they are paying for use of the CMC/ Mossberg patent design. Per this guns.com article, Mossberg sues 12 companies for patent infringement (http://www.guns.com/2016/05/23/mossberg-sues-12-companies-for-infringing-on-trigger-patent/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5744217304d3017dab938b08&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook), they are going after Rise Armament, Franklin Armory, Tactical Fire Control, Velocity Triggers, Patriot Ordinance Factory, KE Arms, Hogan Guns, Black Rain Ordinance, Elftmans Tactical, DOA Arms, Battle Tested Equipment and Trigger Tech out of Canada.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. There has likely already been a lot of legal work including C&D letters and other posturing that has lead to a court fight. Mossberg does have the right to defend what they own.

HeruMew
05-25-16, 10:21
And to think I wanted an ELF...

Darnit.

Oh well, Mossberg owns it, can't blame them. Some will survive, those who did it properly or will conform to legality. This will surely bankrupt a few, if not many.

AKDoug
05-25-16, 10:35
This happens all the time in the archery world. The guys that hold patents to the various parts of compound bows pay the guys with the patents. When they discover someone is not paying they sue. 9 times out of 10 a settlement is reached and life moves on with the offending party paying the fee required to use the patent.

Skyyr
05-25-16, 10:36
TOS posted this on their Facebook page. Surprisingly, most of their minion readers are attacking Mossberg for attempting to enforce their patent rights. It almost reads like The Other 98% ridiculing the rich for their privilege, only it's over the firearms industry instead.

GH41
05-25-16, 15:42
I have NO problem with Mossberg but I do have a problem with the patent being issued. In a nutshell Chip patented a method of installing a trigger assembly into the top of a receiver and using the existing receiver pins to secure it. It would be just as silly if years ago Greyhound was issued a patent for shipping something crosscountry in a cardboard box and charging UPS, Fedex and USPS royalties to do it.

Skyyr
05-25-16, 16:47
I have NO problem with Mossberg but I do have a problem with the patent being issued. In a nutshell Chip patented a method of installing a trigger assembly into the top of a receiver and using the existing receiver pins to secure it. It would be just as silly if years ago Greyhound was issued a patent for shipping something crosscountry in a cardboard box and charging UPS, Fedex and USPS royalties to do it.

To be fair, it's more than just a method of installation. It also allows a more consistent trigger pull across different lower receivers than a two-piece/mil-spec trigger would allow, due to the inevitable slight variations in machining traditional lower receiver trigger pin holes. Simply put, it has some quantifiable properties that make it worthwhile to patent.

Not trying to be an apologist for Mossberg (I don't even own anything from them), I just don't understand people being upset over this (not that you are).

Firefly
05-25-16, 18:50
Yeah, kinda siding with Mossberg.

If some people started pumping out 'Guy Zlee' triggers, I would expect Geissele to take action.

I toted a hogleg 590 for a spell and despite my shotgun brainwashing in my younger, more innocent days; it was pretty good. Even better with slugs we weren't allowed to use because feelings.

I don't really have much need for one but wouldn't rule out getting a personal one. Or doing up a "rank and file" 870.
More wall hanger than anything.

Iraqgunz
05-26-16, 03:19
When stuff like this happens. I always have to ask myself why now? This is obviously an ongoing event so why wait YEARS to decide to do something?

Outlander Systems
05-26-16, 08:03
Litigation is cheaper than innovation.

When stuff like this happens. I always have to ask myself why now? This is obviously an ongoing event so why wait YEARS to decide to do something?

djegators
05-26-16, 08:13

I am sure it has been going on, CMC has been paying their royalties for years. I am guessing now that their are like 30 triggers out there now, at least a few were in violation of the patent.