PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Build My SBR and My SBS

Sean Price
05-25-16, 15:31
Hello all,

I obtained a trust a week ago, signed and notarized.. so that part is done.

I want to have or build or whatever an AR-15 SBR and a Pump 12ga SBS

I have search the google for hours and hours and haven't found standard process or DIY guide for building a SBR/SBS. With so much info out there I think I have actually confused myself even more..

Some of you already have built SBR's and SBS's so perhaps you fellas can offer insight on some....

THIS IS HOW I WOULD BUILD MY SBR/SBS NOW THAT I'VE DONE IT A FEW TIMES....

Also since I want to do it right and I only want to do it once.. I was thinkin:

Colt 6920 for the SBR
Rem 870 for the SBS

thoughts?

Have at it gents..

Regards,

Sean P

P.S. Reading the SBR by Scottyran as we speak..

CPM
05-25-16, 15:41
Just pick a lower and efile it. PSA has blem complete lowers for $139 shipped right now. Pick the upper up later on.

Personally, I don't support the Freedom Group, so I wouldn't buy a Remington, but it's fine either way.

Sean Price
05-25-16, 16:13
the lower is what you file the Form 1 with, correct?

Does quality on a lower matter? i.e. colt 6920 lower v/s PSA blem lower?

Also to avoid the new requirements under 41F i just have to efile or mail before July 12'th right?

BigWaylon
05-25-16, 16:14
870 is simple. File the form. Once it's approved, cut the barrel or buy a short one.

You can get down to ~12.5" for factory config, or 14" with a +1 tube extension.

Since the Mossberg 500 series has a 5-shell tube, ~14" is as short as you can go without altering anything else.

Joelski
05-25-16, 16:38
the lower is what you file the Form 1 with, correct?

Does quality on a lower matter? i.e. colt 6920 lower v/s PSA blem lower?

Also to avoid the new requirements under 41F i just have to efile or mail before July 12'th right?

It absolutely does! Do more reading and decide if you want forged or billet, but for God's sake, this is where you want to put a few extra bucks (along with the BCG, trigger and barrel). I'm not saying the PSA lower is not decent, but there are better ones out there and that's for you to decide, based on your research and stock you put in opinions from other people, here and elsewhere.

Based on that, billet has some benefits for first time builders. A lot (Not all) of them offer ambi controls. You have to decide if that's important to you but generally, having them doesn't come with a trade-off, so I'd get an ambi lower. Billet receivers also use fewer tools such as the *whisper* bolt catch pin, safety detent, forward assist and takedown and pivot pin detents are all allen head machine screws instead of roll pins. Such talk gets the purists bowels in an uproar, but this translates to an easier assembly and less chance of garring the finish d/t a slipped punch!

CPM
05-25-16, 16:51
You can pay extra for a billet lower if that's what you prefer. My standard one worked fine for me in Iraq for 12 months of dismounted movements.

My PSA blem lower is one of my SBR's, along with a 6920. They both have geissele triggers in them and I can't tell them apart, except for the receipts.

If it were me, which it isn't, or you asked my opinion, which you didn't, I'd buy a PSA blem lower, efile it, and put a BCM upper on it.

Whatever your game is, just do it. It takes 90 days for your stamp to come back, start now.

nml
05-25-16, 17:02
Fewer tools is not any reason to select a lower.

punkey71
05-25-16, 17:21
If I was getting a lower specifically for an SBR I'd grab a Sionics lower with the A5 buffer.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/sionics-a5-lower-receiver-assembly/72-patrol-rifle-zero.html

E-File it for an 11.5" barrel and work out the rest after that.

Zim
05-25-16, 19:03
Pick a lower with a roll mark you like, because it'll be with you for life. Make sure it functions. Then SBR it.

VelveteenMole
05-26-16, 04:22
If you value ambidextrous control, there's nothing that can touch an ADM billet lower. Everything is fenced and the right side bolt catch (read, not just a release) is brilliantly natural and debris resistant.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160734/86670.JPG

Joelski
05-26-16, 05:12
Bowels are roaring, buy a Colt!

Sean Price
05-26-16, 14:24
Bowels are roaring, buy a Colt!

so buy a Colt 6920, send it out for engraving, efile Form1 with that serial, once stamp gets back, just swap out the SHORTER barrel?

DONE! that easy ay?

What do the rest of you gents say?

reading up on the forged v/s billeted lowers but if you had to build an SBR today, what LOWER would you go with and why?

Thanks in advance!

Phabeon

Jwknutson17
05-26-16, 22:47
Go buy a factory KAC SBR. Or.. Get a KAC complete lower. Then buy a 11.5 KAC CQB upper. If those are out of price range and budget , get a LMT, DD , or BCM complete lower. And upper of your choice. I no longer SBR any lowers that aren't the 4 brands listed above. If I'm stuck with them forever, I don't bother with lesser quality brands...

SteyrAUG
05-27-16, 00:18
So why not just buy a Colt 6933 and a Remington 870 Entry gun?

nml
05-27-16, 00:23
Colt used to sell factory Commandos (semi) at a good price point but I am not seeing them anymore? Most cost effective may be to buy 6920 like you said. Then send the upper out to cut the barrel to 10.3" and open up the gas port (to run unsuppressed). I would shave gas block and have them install your rail of choice at same time.

As far as fancier lowers I like the old Noveske's http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/300BLK-LO-PRO-NSR.jpg . They are pretty straightforward nothing to surprise you when going back and forth between standard lowers, just better tolerances and magwell. But I am behind the times and surely others know the latest hotness better.

SteyrAUG
05-27-16, 03:27
Colt used to sell factory Commandos (semi) at a good price point but I am not seeing them anymore? Most cost effective may be to buy 6920 like you said. Then send the upper out to cut the barrel to 10.3" and open up the gas port (to run unsuppressed). I would shave gas block and have them install your rail of choice at same time.

As far as fancier lowers I like the old Noveske's http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/300BLK-LO-PRO-NSR.jpg . They are pretty straightforward nothing to surprise you when going back and forth between standard lowers, just better tolerances and magwell. But I am behind the times and surely others know the latest hotness better.

Here you go. That's about what I paid for mine as a FFL/SOT.

http://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M4-Commando-Semi-Auto-11-5-Barrel-Rifle-p/le6933.htm

nml
05-27-16, 10:16
Nice find Steyr!

OP if you are planning on shooting a lot the 11.5 has some benefits. In my case I run a longer 10" handguard and it also less abusive on suppressors' blast baffles since it is my money.

Sean Price
05-31-16, 12:25
Here you go. That's about what I paid for mine as a FFL/SOT.

http://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M4-Commando-Semi-Auto-11-5-Barrel-Rifle-p/le6933.htm

Unless I can find one locally its too late to get this thru PRE-41F guidelines....

but man, this would have been perfect!!

suggestions on a good HQ lower?

research on the google keeps pointin me to Palmetto State... and/or Aero Precision?

so apparently(per the google and forums) all lowers are made by a like 3-5 manufacturers and they just stamp em with desired company logo..

so with that in mind..

Aero Precision v/s Palmetto State for the lower?

thoughts?

acjones20
06-03-16, 04:38
I love my 590A1 SBS...it's lightweight, ambidextrous and still holds a box +1 of shells. I'd efile a lower of your choice and top it with a colt 11.5 inch upper from G&R. Easy day.

domestique
06-03-16, 22:09
I love my 590A1 SBS...it's lightweight, ambidextrous and still holds a box +1 of shells. I'd efile a lower of your choice and top it with a colt 11.5 inch upper from G&R. Easy day.

This isn't helping me. I have a 20" 590A1 and have always debated about SBSing it. I've always talked myself out of it (I have a 300blk SBR I would grab first in a HD situation), but have always lusted after a 14" 590A1. My only rationale would be taking it backpacking in Brown bear country. Just not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze.

OP, I second Jwknutson17. Get a KAC, LMT, Colt, or BCM lower and SBR it. Then buy a KAC, Colt, LMT or BCM upper. I personally feel a SBR is a lot more versatile and practical in a HD situation than a SBS..... Easier to shoot, more ammo etc.

You could go the factory Colt SBR route (nice find Steyr).... but you have to wait the entire time until you get to shoot it. If you build a pistol lower, you can play with your upper on the pistol lower until your tax stamp comes back.

ETA: I am in the process of SBRing a billet CMT Tactical ambi lower. This is my first non forged KAC, BCM lower I've SBR'd. So far I am really impressed with the quality. I ventured off the reservation this time, because they were actually in stock and the price was right.

acjones20
06-03-16, 22:35
This isn't helping me. I have a 20" 590A1 and have always debated about SBSing it. I've always talked myself out of it (I have a 300blk SBR I would grab first in a HD situation), but have always lusted after a 14" 590A1. My only rationale would be taking it backpacking in Brown bear country. Just not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I turned muy 18 inch Magpul 590A1 into a Magpul copy of the 14" breaching gun". it has a bead sight an a Surefire forend. It a well-balanched kiling machine w/ flght control "OO" buck. I sold the other peices in TOS EE an that helped. it's definitely handy.

SteyrAUG
06-03-16, 22:44
Unless I can find one locally its too late to get this thru PRE-41F guidelines....

but man, this would have been perfect!!

Why would 41F prevent you from getting this?

domestique
06-03-16, 23:00
I turned muy 18 inch Magpul 590A1 into a Magpul copy of the 14" breaching gun". it has a bead sight an a Surefire forend. It a well-balanched kiling machine w/ flght control "OO" buck. I sold the other peices in TOS EE an that helped. it's definitely handy.

pm sent

eodinert
06-04-16, 15:32
On an 870, the magazine tube is silver soldered to the receiver. On a Mossberg 500 (or 590), the magazine tube is threaded into the receiver. This means with the Mossberg, you can go from a two shot tube, to an eight shot tube (and the barrels that go with them), just by swapping parts out. You can't really do that with an 870.

If you're looking for a reason to SBS a Mossberg, that's it.