PDA

View Full Version : Why does no one make an A1 handguard?

TheNegativeOne
05-26-16, 08:05
I looked for some on line and was only able to find original ones. I think they look cool so im putting them on rifle but would rather have some modern material. Also the place I found them doesnt send you any type of notification when they are shipped or any way to track the package.

mack7.62
05-26-16, 10:49
Lack of demand and market has not run out of M16A1 takeoffs.

TheNegativeOne
05-26-16, 17:44
They showed up today. Man, they are cool. To me.

Stickman
05-26-16, 18:20
I'm looking for another set for a build, where did you get yours from, and what sort of shape are they?

TheNegativeOne
05-26-16, 18:31
I'm looking for another set for a build, where did you get yours from, and what sort of shape are they?
They look excellent no cracks or scratches but they have a little rust on 2 of the pins holding the holding the plastic to the aluminum. Sherluck defense industries. Last time i checked they still had some.

TheNegativeOne
05-26-16, 18:36
Ok. I just looked, still in stock. Sherluck.com you wont get an email confirmation or tracking number but mine showed up in 4 days.

Dionysusigma
05-27-16, 16:46
How durable are A1 handguards? Also, how comfortable are they? Been thinking about a set of Ironwood furniture for a "New Vegas Service Rifle" clone, but I'm still iffy on the whole thing because I've never actually even seen an A1 set in person, much less held, much less used any...

T2C
05-27-16, 17:41
I've fired my share of A1's and I prefer the flat bottom profile on the A1 handguard to the round profile of the A2 style for shooting service rifle competition.

If someone made new reproductions, I would buy a set.

pezboy
05-28-16, 06:17
How durable are A1 handguards? Also, how comfortable are they? Been thinking about a set of Ironwood furniture for a "New Vegas Service Rifle" clone, but I'm still iffy on the whole thing because I've never actually even seen an A1 set in person, much less held, much less used any...

They aren't as durable as A2 hand guards. They stopped using them because they would break and a different left and right were needed. I've had many get the "teeth" broken off and crack.

I personally prefer a round profile but the triangle shape isn't bad.

Dionysusigma
05-28-16, 08:56
If a company brought back the design, but incorporated a bit of metal reinforcement (like Glock does with their magazines) and modern polymers, would that maybe solve the "broken teeth" issue?

Not intending to knock Magpul's MOE guards, but they just don't have that... look.

ABNAK
05-28-16, 10:38
I kinda like the feel of the A1 handguards. Might be a little biased though as that is what I cut my teeth on as an Army grunt.

PRI makes a triangle carbon fiber FF tube. They aren't cheap by any stretch but I've contemplated getting one for a build. Actually the best of both worlds: no doubt a helluva lot stronger than the original A1 handguards and it free-floats the barrel. They come in carbine, midlength, and rifle length sizes.

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186739&CAT=4209

eodinert
05-29-16, 02:10
They are not overly fragile, but it is possible to break them. I never broke a hand guard in four years of the infantry.

TheNegativeOne
05-29-16, 05:04
I kinda like the feel of the A1 handguards. Might be a little biased though as that is what I cut my teeth on as an Army grunt.

PRI makes a triangle carbon fiber FF tube. They aren't cheap by any stretch but I've contemplated getting one for a build. Actually the best of both worlds: no doubt a helluva lot stronger than the original A1 handguards and it free-floats the barrel. They come in carbine, midlength, and rifle length sizes.

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186739&CAT=4209
$340? Good lord, its cool but not that cool.

ABNAK
05-29-16, 07:00
$340? Good lord, its cool but not that cool.

Oh yeah, they're proud of their stuff, no doubt about it!