PDA

View Full Version : I'm on the fence between two uppers.

AppalachianThunder
05-26-16, 18:06
Im new to M4C, but have been searching the forums for about a year now doing research. I've been eyeing two complete uppers lately for for my first AR. A DD 16" carbine length with a 12" MFR rail, and a BCM BFH 16" mid length with KMR alpha. They're both within my budget, but I'm stuck on the decision of which to go with.

I know what specs to look for in AR parts from searching around the forum for quite a while, and with that being said I know both BCM and DD are respectable companies, but i do have several questions.

Between the two, which barrel will be the most consistent/accurate?

Is the BCM BCG of higher quality over the DD BCG?

Which rail will hold up to more hard use? The 12" MFR is heavier, but it looks tougher than the KMR Alpha.

The DD is cheaper than the BCM by about $100, but if the BCM is of better quality(I'm mostly concerned with the BCG and barrel), I'd rather spend the hundred and get the better parts. This will most likely be my only AR and I want it done right on the first go round.

Thank you in advance for any advice and knowledge given. And I apologize if these are repeat questions, but i searched around and didn't find the exact answers i was looking for so i figured it better ask. Links to each upper below.

DD: https://www.westernsport.com/product/daniel-defense-complete-ar15-upper/#tab-additional_information|parentVerticalTab1

BCM: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID-16-BFH-KMR-A-13

Stickman
05-26-16, 18:18
Both are very high quality, you are safe with either decision.

boombotz401
05-26-16, 18:21
Quality will pretty much be a wash between the 2, both uppers will be high quality and couldn't go wrong with either. Accuracy will probably be about the same also.

As for durability, run over either one with a truck and continue shooting. They'll both take a beating

Having said that I'd take the BCM

Lighter than the DD
prefer keymod system
Much prefer mid over carbine on a 16 barrel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AppalachianThunder
05-26-16, 18:43
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the reassurance.

twm134
05-26-16, 18:45
Both are quality uppers. Both should be equally capable. The only major difference between the two is the rail. Choose between the two based on which rail you prefer. Keymod has more after market support while the DD is proprietary.

Wake27
05-26-16, 18:50
Ha. Only AR. Good one. Personally, I'd take the BCM. As others have said, both are great but I think BCM offers more for the money and their parts (Gunfighter line) have more thought and experience put into them. The DD rail may be stronger (no personal experience) but the KMR Alpha is not a weak rail. It also has a MUCH more heavily supported mounting system. I wouldn't buy any rail now that isn't Keymod or MLOK, unless it was old school quad rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightstalker865
05-26-16, 19:24
The MFR rail from DD is about the only part they have made that I would tell people to stay away from. It also doesn't share the time tested typical DD mounting system.

With either company, I would choose a mid-length gas system. For DD rails I would look for either the SLiM or DDM4 rail. Both are excellent and use the same mounting system.

You can't go wrong choosing either BCM or DD. Both are outstanding companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AppalachianThunder
05-26-16, 19:31
Ha. Only AR. Good one. Personally, I'd take the BCM.

Well, only AR I have planned at this time. I like my bolt guns and M14's, but my boss in the dakotas had me shooting prarie dogs and coyotes with his AR and now I need one of my own.

AppalachianThunder
05-26-16, 19:39
The MFR rail from DD is about the only part they have made that I would tell people to stay away from. It also doesn't share the time tested typical DD mounting system.

Any other reason you'd stay away from the MFR besides the mounting system and weight?

I'm leaning toward the mid length gas. It's the only gas system I've ever shot before and i liked it. Plus I already have an H2 buffer and that seems to be a preferred buffer weight for mid length shooters.

Jwknutson17
05-26-16, 19:46
Between those 2... the BCM. Mid gas on a 16 is a must and will run that H2 buffer like a champ. Jump on that BCM and don't look back.

PatrioticDisorder
05-26-16, 19:52
DD pins all their gas blocks, make their own barrels & most other parts in house. If the DD is $100 cheaper it's a no brainer in my mind, DD all day.

AppalachianThunder
05-26-16, 20:28
I like the DD, but I just watched a video of how the hand guard is mounted and it kind of turned me off from that upper. There's other DD's on Western Sport for the same price but the Lite Rail 2 looks huge and uncomfortable. Looks like it's gonna be the BCM for the win.

Swstock
05-26-16, 20:42
I hate that DD rail and I love my BCM rifle.

I'd take the BCM personally. Everything is equal imo but I love that BCM rail.

Rogue556
05-26-16, 21:33
As others have said, both are great choices and are going to be reliable and accurate. I've got a DD RIS II rail on one of my carbine length guns and it's built like a tank but heavy. My BCM midlength with a KMR Alpha is much lighter and I prefer it to anything else. With it being your first AR I'd skip 14.5" barrels and go with a KMR Alpha 13" or 15" rail on a 16" barrel. That way you can change out muzzle devices if you decide you don't like what's on it, or just want to change things up. I'd even look into the light weight and enhanced light weight barrels to save some unneeded weight.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

SavageBrew84
05-27-16, 02:02
My first rifle was a DDM4V7 with the MFR. Needless to say, I changed out the rail for a Geissele after a very short time of owning it. I don't know what it was about the hand guard but handling it in the store and actually shooting it, made me realize it wasn't what i was looking for, not to mention that each rail section is a pretty heavy addition. That being said, everything else about that rifle is top notch and you aren't going to find many people bitching about their QC. Like I said, the rest of the rifle is badass, personally, I just didn't end up caring that rail set up, and it didn't take long to realize it. I do also have a KMR and it's been great so far. Both of those options are excellent and either should serve you well for a long time to come.

Something else to think about though is that, that particular DD upper does come complete with BC and CH. Whereas the BCM you would have to buy those for an additional $120 add on. That's still a good price, but you could also buy the DD, sell the MFR and get a KMR-A for it and you should come out ahead a little bit to get some BUIS.

AppalachianThunder
05-27-16, 02:36
My first rifle was a DDM4V7 with the MFR. Needless to say, I changed out the rail for a Geissele after a very short time of owning it.

Was the MFR mounted well? I like it and I'd only have one rail section on there for a light. My only concern is the mounting system. Watched a video of how it goes on and it looked kind of cheesy to me.

MegademiC
05-27-16, 08:12
I would say no wrong answer. One friend has a dd v7, the other the bcm your looking at. I would go bcm for weight. For my uses, the dd is added weight with no benefit. Reports of dd are that they are slightly over gassed, I don't think it's a reliability issue, but the midlength offers quicker followups in my experience. The mfr is going to be even heavier when you add stuff since you have to add rail sections.

That said, either will be reliable and accurate.

VIP3R 237
05-27-16, 09:22
I prefer the BCM package as the KMR is my favorite hand guard, however in my experience DD's barrels have consistently been a little more accurate than my BCM's.

SavageBrew84
05-27-16, 11:17
Was the MFR mounted well? I like it and I'd only have one rail section on there for a light. My only concern is the mounting system. Watched a video of how it goes on and it looked kind of cheesy to me.

That's exactly what it is. It looks really secure when you see all that hardware at the barrel nut and think it's being held together by all of it, but in reality the six larger screws are just holding together an outer retainer ring on the inside of the rail that slips over the front of the actual barrel nut and the rail is then only secured with those four tiny set screws. You don't have to worry about rotation though, as the rail is cut to fit around the receiver.

Like I said, you can't go wrong with either. Thinking about it, at the price point of the DD being complete upper with BCG and CH, it's a pretty good deal. And if you end up liking the MFR, keep it. If not, sell it and get what you want. I will point out that there isn't a lot of aftermarket support for the MFR rail. IWC being one of the few, if only, that makes direct mount anything for it. Keymod is definitely superior in that aspect and another reason why I dumped mine as well.