PDA

View Full Version : Civi Field Survival courses

WillBrink
05-26-16, 21:09
Any one take a civi Field Survival course or similar? Worth it? I see Randall’s Adventure has various. This one looks promising:

https://randallsadventure.com/product/field-survival/

Other groups recommended?

City Rat
05-29-16, 06:29
On the first link, before I would take a course like that I would know everything possible about the provider and the instructors. If it is run by competent experienced folks it might be ok, if it is just a bunch of yahoos, self proclaimed"experts". You are just signing up for abuse and misery. This is assuming you already had good skill development in each of the areas to be covered. Three days is pretty short to give you mastery of any one of those areas without the "survival scenario" stressors added on.

Can't open the other two links but from the title they seem more fitness, endurance oriented. I will say that I have read some hunting trip reports from the guides perspective on these once in a lifetime grizzly or mountain goat hunts. The common theme was how out of shape guys were after they paid thousands of dollars and traveled over a thousand miles. Guys, "flatlanders" they called them, would need more than a day or two to acclimate to basic walking activity. Once out on the trail they couldn't hike a mile without a breaks, profuse sweating, bad stalking no no, or just outright exhaustion. Once they did get guided to an animal, they were breathing so hard and arms shaking that they often couldn't get a decent shot off. That convinced me that there is a strong connection between fitness and outdoors skills. Not sure how much you'll get from a 3 day course in it though. Good luck.