PDA

View Full Version : Canik TP9 SF (Desert)

Slater
05-27-16, 13:47
Picked this up at the local Sportsman's today. New TP9SF ("Special Forces"?). Not exactly a SIG or HK, but should be a fun range gun and they seem to get glowing reviews. I have one of those tan Glock field knives that I was going to put into the picture to, you know, project an aura of fearsome tactical competence but I figured that was a bit much.

Me: I think I'll take that tan TP9SF

Counter Guy: Well, we're only supposed to sell those Desert "SF" versions to actual GreenBeretPararescueSEALRangerCommandos. Do you have any documentation in that regard?

Me: I've seen "Commando", "The Green Berets", and "Predator" multiple times.

Counter Guy: Sold!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/HPIM1656_zpsbong1vdn.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/HPIM1656_zpsbong1vdn.jpg.html)

WickedWillis
05-27-16, 15:40
Picked this up at the local Sportsman's today. New TP9SF ("Special Forces"?). Not exactly a SIG or HK, but should be a fun range gun and they seem to get glowing reviews. I have one of those tan Glock field knives that I was going to put into the picture to, you know, project an aura of fearsome tactical competence but I figured that was a bit much.

Counter Guy: Well, we're only supposed to sell those Desert "SF" versions to actual GreenBeretPararescueSEALRangerCommandos. Do you have any documentation in that regard?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/HPIM1656_zpsbong1vdn.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/HPIM1656_zpsbong1vdn.jpg.html)

I have heard nothing but positive things about them. And they come in at an insane price point. Even the new competition model that is coming out, optic ready, is sub $450 from my understanding. Decent capacity also.

9mm_shooter
05-27-16, 17:18
That looks cool. As if an HK, a CZ and a Glock got drunk one night together and out popped this Canik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAZ
05-27-16, 17:34

Put some rounds down range and tell us how she shoots. Did the counter guys really say what you wrote? LOL if he did.

tacticaldesire
05-27-16, 17:54
Looking forward to your thoughts after you send some rounds down range. Great guns for the price.

Slater
05-27-16, 18:46
The conversation was just a feeble attempt at a joke. Counter Guys aren't that dumb :D

pinzgauer
05-27-16, 19:13
That looks cool. As if an HK, a CZ and a Glock got drunk one night together and out popped this Canik.

So you do know its basically a Turkish knockoff of a Walther P99AS /PPQ?

This newest version is apparently a single action only variant with the decocker deleted. (Think more PPQ than P99)

I'm kind of wishing I bought one when they were in the $350 range

Talon167
05-27-16, 19:19
You had me at Commando!

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast."

Hank6046
05-27-16, 22:20
Put some rounds down range and tell us how she shoots. Did the counter guys really say what you wrote? LOL if he did.

Yeah, I'd also be really interested in this handgun if you put some rds down range and give your opinion. For the price I'd pick one up just for fun.

Slater
05-27-16, 22:32

This newest version is apparently a single action only variant with the decocker deleted. (Think more PPQ than P99)

I'm kind of wishing I bought one when they were in the $350 range

Bud's still has them for $350 shipped.

dwhitehorne
05-30-16, 18:07
I've had a tan SA version about a year and just picked up a black SF version for 350. They are fun range guns. I have probably 900 through the tan one. Shoots fine. Hopefully they will hold up since I don't see getting spare parts from Century. David

Mrgunsngear
05-30-16, 20:23
I've had a tan SA version about a year and just picked up a black SF version for 350. They are fun range guns. I have probably 900 through the tan one. Shoots fine. Hopefully they will hold up since I don't see getting spare parts from Century. David

Why not?

KalashniKEV
05-31-16, 08:58

Everything is a knockoff of whatever came before it.

I'm interested in these...

HeruMew
05-31-16, 10:08

It may look similar, but it is quite different.

They've done some indepth youtube comparisons. Does it use modern semi-auto technology that almost all semi-autos use in current manufacturing? Absolutely.

Is it close enough to any particular handgun to be a clone? No, probably not. (This is taking into effect not just Aesthetics, but internals as well)

On that topic, I picked up one of the first batch TP9v1 from JandG Sales. Dolphin model with night sights. 299 shipped and well worth every penny.

My only "issue" with them is that holster, and spare parts for all models, availability for TP9v1 is not very clear (apparently alien gear's Glock 17 holsters will work for the v1 while the v2/SF/SA are receiving popularity to the point of making holsters for the model. YMMV, not tested by me).

I use a general Mike's IWB for it, from time to time, or stick with a generic OWB with retention strap. Just not much a serpa guy, but I used that paddle-serpa comfortably in a "home" non-conceal-carry role for the first half-year of ownership.

I would have wanted desert colored grip adjustments as well, but thing still looks mint. For the $299 it sold for, I've never contemplated any regret. And even, worst case scenario, some large failure occurs, I have put enough rounds through that pistol to not feel too hurt if I had to forcefully retire it. I don't see that happening though.

dwhitehorne
05-31-16, 16:14
I've called a couple of times about getting another TP9SA rear sight with no luck. Over the past 15 years or so when I've had a Cetme or WASR10 single stack or an Arcus 98 and Century never offered much more than AK parts kits. The Canik could turn into something like the HS2000 to the XD but I'm not sure Century will capitalize on it like Springfield did.

Why not?

railroader
06-01-16, 00:49
I had the tp9sf for awhile. I tried to buy a spare recoil spring from century and they told me no. They said their parts are only for warranty work.

Slater
06-01-16, 05:32
The TP9 variants are like steak knives. Collect the set :D

scooter22
06-01-16, 06:50
How does the trigger compare to the PPQ?

pinzgauer
06-01-16, 07:42
Everything is a knockoff of whatever came before it.

I'm interested in these...

I was mainly responding to this:

The resemblance, and in some cases, direct copying of the P99 is pretty obvious.

It may look similar, but it is quite different.

They've done some indepth youtube comparisons. Does it use modern semi-auto technology that almost all semi-autos use in current manufacturing? Absolutely.

Is it close enough to any particular handgun to be a clone? No, probably not. (This is taking into effect not just Aesthetics, but internals as well)

Except it's widely acknowledged as a copy of the P99 and later variants, the PPQ. I said it was a knock off, not a licensed clone with parts interchange. But it's more than a passing external resemblance. It's also been reported multiple times that Canik licensed the Walther P99 and PPQ patents.

This has been discussed in depth in the Walther forums, with side by side photo's. And also magazine and blog articles. It's very clearly a close copy of the design, far more than any design similarity to HK/CZ/Glock, etc. And far closer to the P99 than "any modern striker pistol design".

This is not a bad thing, and for the price still looks interesting. If you guys want to pretend it's a wonderful new design, then do so. Just realize you will look a bit silly. (But then again, there are dolphin rollmarks, so it starts out silly. Like Ninja in "Chappie")

Close copies & clones are also Canik's "thing" in many cases... their other copies are considered pretty good, though some are licensed clones. (CZ75, etc). There is also another Turkish licensed clone of the P99 by another Turkish Mfg. And a Polish one, 2 US ones, etc.

Slater
06-01-16, 07:51
Canik copied a successful design and had successful sales.

Mrgunsngear
06-01-16, 22:20
I've called a couple of times about getting another TP9SA rear sight with no luck. Over the past 15 years or so when I've had a Cetme or WASR10 single stack or an Arcus 98 and Century never offered much more than AK parts kits. The Canik could turn into something like the HS2000 to the XD but I'm not sure Century will capitalize on it like Springfield did.

Interesting. I was told they'd have a steady supply of replacement parts for these pistols. Thanks.

HeruMew
06-02-16, 07:34
Except it's widely acknowledged as a copy of the P99 and later variants, the PPQ. I said it was a knock off, not a licensed clone with parts interchange. But it's more than a passing external resemblance. It's also been reported multiple times that Canik licensed the Walther P99 and PPQ patents.

Apologies if this came off rude, now that I look back and reread it, it very well could have come off that way. I did take your Knock Off verbage as "Clone" and, while you shouldn't have had to explain, your logic is sound.

I know it's acknowledged as a copy, and it does look very similar, including the internals, but a lot of the dimensions had been changed in many places externally and internally. Hence my comments in regards to being a clone. My opinion, and I know it's the minority in regards to all types of clones/copies/similarities, is that we are quick to label something as a clone/copy, if it is similar to another, for comparisons sake.

A lot of those titles are valid, as you mentioned some of the other licensed clones, for many models, are spot on with very minor tweaks, if any.

Nonetheless, I hope it didn't come off as attacking, that certainly wasn't my attempt in the matter.

Interesting. I was told they'd have a steady supply of replacement parts for these pistols. Thanks.
I really wish they did. I have been wanting to stock up on some for awhile, my response from Century was the same in regards to warranty repair. :(

Slater
06-02-16, 07:52
I'm curious as to how the Turkish Cerakote holds up over the long term.

HeruMew
06-02-16, 08:03
I'm curious as to how the Turkish Cerakote holds up over the long term.

I dunno exactly what types of finishes they use, for the Standard Black model, or the colored models, however I will say it has handled very well.

I will try to get some updated pictures, but through the countless drawing and reholsters, in the plastic serpa holster, kydex (wasn't a exact match, but worked), and nylon/cloth.

I may have a wear mark here or there, but it's held up very nicely. While holstered, I have banged it against some stuff, been under a car, fallen (woops, clumsy me), and it's lasted very well.

As mentioned in other threads, my "long term" is limited to a few years and a few thousand rounds.

But, I can only speak for the 1st model.

pinzgauer
06-02-16, 08:57
Apologies if this came off rude, now that I look back and reread it, it very well could have come off that way. I did take your Knock Off verbage as "Clone" and, while you shouldn't have had to explain, your logic is sound.

No worries, and I was just pointing out that while it's not a clone, it still copies/leverages many aspects of the P99. And according to some, even licensed some of the walther patents. It's more than external resemblance.

But in other areas they varied, primarily in dimensional stuff. And later flavors vary more on the lockwork.

I do not view this as a bad thing, and some view the Canik as addressing a gap in the walther lineup as its a full sized service pistol vs the midsized & compact P99 flavors.

I see this like Japan and the FJ40 Landcruiser: they took the best aspects of the Jeep, land Rover, and a GM inline six and made a knockoff that compared very well with its predecessors. Some of us would say is better than the models it borrowed from.

That seems to be Turkey's thing of late.

Hank6046
04-27-20, 08:31
Bumping this thread.
How are the these holding up over the years. My LGS has them for less than $300 currently

railroader
04-27-20, 08:46
Bumping this thread.
How are the these holding up over the years. My LGS has them for less than $300 currently

My TP9SFX has held up fine. It has some finish wear but nothing has worn out or broken. About a year ago I got a TP9SF that only come with one mag and no holster. That gun is really nice with iron sights. Normally it seems like guns I get don't always shoot exactly to point of aim, this TP9SF does. I installed freedomsmith triggers in both guns which is a great upgrade. Caniks are a bargain for what you get.

everready73
04-27-20, 10:28
+1

I have a TP9SFX i picked up to try a RDS on a gun. Runs great and accurate. Stock Trigger is really good as well for a striker gun, but there is a pretty cheap aftermarket "Freedomsmith" trigger mentioned above is good from what i hear. I really can say anything bad about the gun other than holster availability, but there are multiple people making them now like Smokey Mountain Concealment and Redx. A safariland 578GLS works great for my set up as well

Henderson Defense is a big range out in Vegas. They have a thread going on TOS in the handgun forum and said these things just run and dont break. They gave high praise and that is pretty good considering the volume of abuse their guns get.

The only thing to pay attention to is the configuration of what you buy. The now have the "one" series which are cheaper (sub 300) but only come with one mag. You can find the regular version for really good prices as well at places like grabagun usually

Hank6046
04-27-20, 12:42
Interesting, I just wanted to know, I carry a P10c and a Shield depending but, just thought about a Pistol I can leave in the Truck or just having something simple, and for under $300 I didn't think that was a bad deal.

Formergrunt94
05-11-20, 17:01
Bumping this thread.

I've had mine for about 3 years now. I've used it in 6 or 7 USPSA competitions, and have done high dozens to low hundreds

of presentations during dry fire etc.. So far the finish has held up very well, in my opinion. The worst wear is at the front

edges of the slide, but nothing glaring.

Itsahak
05-11-20, 18:28
One of my shooting partners has the one with the threaded barrel and RMR. He loves it. I have shot it and it shoots like a dream.