PDA

View Full Version : Removing LMT FSB *answered*.

Eurodriver
05-27-16, 14:35
I just grabbed an LMT 10.5" upper to go on my LMT SBR Lower. I bought it for no other reason than I wanted a 10.5" and a "complete" LMT.

I'd like to install a Centurion C4 rail, but I need to remove the handguard cap which requires removing the FSB which uses straight pins and it is not parkerized under the FSB.

Will the parkerizing after assembly cause issues removing the FSB once the pins are out? I searched an apparently it can be a PITA getting LMT FSBs off - to the point some folks ruin the sight tower.

Is there any special way to install the pins? I've never had to remove/install straight pins. Taper pins are easy. Bang them out one way, bang them back in the other way until they stop. How do you know if you've gone too far?

Does removing the FSB pins make it more likely the FSB will become loose in the future?

Lastly, is it possible to just remove the handguard cap without loosening the FSB?

TexasAggie2005
05-27-16, 15:08
Lastly, is it possible to just remove the handguard cap without loosening the FSB?

If you aren't concerned about ruining the cap, use a pair of tin snips to cut a wedge out as deep as you can go, then rip it with pliers.

Eurodriver
05-27-16, 15:13
If you aren't concerned about ruining the cap, use a pair of tin snips to cut a wedge out as deep as you can go, then rip it with pliers.

Not concerned about ruining the cap at all, just don't want to mar the barrel/FSB. I'll give that a shot.

TexasAggie2005
05-27-16, 15:17
Not concerned about ruining the cap at all, just don't want to mar the barrel/FSB. I'll give that a shot.

Use a few layers of blue painter's tape to cover any area near your cuts to prevent any scratching. It won't leave any residue behind.

VIP3R 237
05-27-16, 15:59

Exactly.

I have never struggled with FSB like I have with LMT's. They are a royal PITA.

BufordTJustice
05-27-16, 19:22
Exactly.

I have never struggled with FSB like I have with LMT's. They are a royal PITA.
Same. I've gone to crazy lengths on them. Soaking in kroil, soaking in ATF, liquid wrench, strap wrenches, vices. Ugh.

But, the gas seal is solid. [emoji16]

markm
05-27-16, 21:09
With the correct (concave) punch, any FSB pins can be driven out. Snipping of a hand guard cap is like waving the white flag. ;)

Chatterbox
05-27-16, 22:50
LMT might as well weld them on...a bitch and a half to remove.

Iraqgunz
05-28-16, 03:39
Do a Google search for the Centurion Arms C4 installation instructions. I wrote it with the pics supplied by Centurion and it's pretty straight forward. Straight pins can sometimes be a PITA. If you get them out, I would probably use some retaining compound on the pins when driving them back in should you decide to go that route.

Eurodriver
05-28-16, 04:10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've installed at least two C4 rails before, and that's why I keep buying them. They're simple to install and very rugged.

Iit appears I may very well wave the white flag and try to snip the handguard cap off without removing the FSB for the reasons mentioned in this thread. Especially since the general tone is snipping the handguard cap off in-place seems to be much easier than removing the FSB. If I can't get it, then I'm really no worse off and have to remove the FSB anyway.

Eurodriver
05-28-16, 05:42
moved to nfa