PDA

View Full Version : The Gun by C.J. Chivers...

SteyrAUG
05-27-16, 15:22
Just finished reading this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-C-J-Chivers/dp/0743271734/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464379903&sr=1-1&keywords=the+gun+chivers

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kmOSWgiTL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I probably have a couple hundred firearms books in my library but it's been a long time since I bought one and even longer since one truly impressed me. This isn't really a "specs and tech" book on firearms but a historical overview of rapid fire weapons beginning with the Gatling and concluding with the AK-47 and M-16. And it is told in a way that focuses on people, time and place.

Includes a lot of history that didn't seem to make it into other books devoted to the subject and it addresses many contradictions in the official "AK-47 Story" and the information provided to the west by the USSR in the mid 1980s.

This is also one of the most enjoyable books on firearms development that I've read in a long time. Reads more like a Stephen Ambrose book on the subject of WWII than a Collectors Grade Publications book on firearms.

Ernst
05-27-16, 15:31
I got one in "very good condition" for .41 cents plus $4 shipping.

It's a very enjoyable book indeed.

MountainRaven
05-27-16, 22:38
This and AK-47: The Grim Reaper constitute the definitive books on the AK, IMHO.

I got one in "very good condition" for .41 cents plus $4 shipping.

It's a very enjoyable book indeed.

I bought a hardback copy from the local Borders about a week after they got it. Gave it to my dad for his birthday some years ago and recently replaced it with a paperback copy.

But yes, historical and entertaining.

Korgs130
05-27-16, 23:36
I'm not an AK guy at all, but I agree that it's a fantastic book.

Moose-Knuckle
05-28-16, 03:12
This book has been sitting in my Amazon wishlist for six years, ever since Templar started a thread about an interview in Popular Mechanics and on NPR by the author. One of these days I'll add to my cart finally.

eodinert
05-28-16, 09:34
A lot of the 'overly enthusiastic AK fans' didn't like that book... While the historical significance of the rifle cannot be overstated, the 'story' was a product of a propaganda machine designed to make heroes. Make a hero, it did.

26 Inf
05-28-16, 09:46
This book has been sitting in my Amazon wishlist for six years, ever since Templar started a thread about an interview in Popular Mechanics and on NPR by the author. One of these days I'll add to my cart finally.

I hate SteyrAUG and Amazon 1 Click. On the way.

SteyrAUG
05-28-16, 14:37

You can buy a copy for a $1 plus shipping. Get it done, I just ordered Remember because of you.

SteyrAUG
05-28-16, 14:39
A lot of the 'overly enthusiastic AK fans' didn't like that book... While the historical significance of the rifle cannot be overstated, the 'story' was a product of a propaganda machine designed to make heroes. Make a hero, it did.

I'm a huge AK fan who has both books by Ezell, hard copies even, but I love the truth more.

El Pistolero
05-28-16, 23:26
I've read it, been a few years but I should order a copy and read it again.

Moose-Knuckle
05-29-16, 03:58
I hate SteyrAUG and Amazon 1 Click. On the way.

Amazon makes spending money way to damn easy that is for sure, it doesn't help that they pretty much have the lowest price on everything not to mention the fact that you can find just about anything on there.

You can buy a copy for a $1 plus shipping. Get it done, I just ordered Remember because of you.

LOL, you'll enjoy it. Next Amazon order I'll pick up a copy of the book.