PDA

View Full Version : Arc'teryx Khard 30 or 45, or Kifaru X-Ray?

w3453l
05-27-16, 20:46
I'm looking to buy a decent three day pack. It'll be used for anything from single day hikes to three day hikes. I'm not too concerned about the price, since this is something I plan to buy once and just stick with.

I've been reading whatever online reviews I can find on these, and I see that in some of the reviews the 30 was used as a three day pack, but I'm not sure if that's not too small.

I've found some Memorial Day weekend sales on these so I'd like to jump on one now if possible.

But: I would like to first try one on before making the move. I won't be able to do that any time soon. However, there is an REI nearby. So I was thinking about trying a non-LEAF equivalent of the Khard 30 or 45, if such a thing exists. Now my question is what is the non-LEAF version of the Khard 30 or 45?

I've also been strongly considering a Kifaru X-Ray.

Now all hiking will be done in the south west. I doubt any of it will be done in the winter.

A big detractor for many civi packs is the neon reflective colors. If anyone has any input I appreciate it.

Thanks

Jaysop
05-27-16, 21:00
Well as a former X-ray owner I can tell you its not the most comfortable bag for hiking. It's heavy, the straps slip, and the belt drops it to low on my back for a long hike. But it's built like a rock and has infinite possibilities for organization. I only got rid of it because it wasn't a great hiking bag and was a bit big for EDC and it was cumbersome for anything but range duty. I originally purchased the bag when I was on active duty and it performed excellent for that task. I replaced it with an Antero and it's the best all around pack I've ever owned.

The Khard bags are something I looked hard at as well. But thier lack of a real belt really killed it for me. Also they seem quite big.

My current day hike, overnight pack is an Osprey Manta 36 AG. Perfect for what's it's for. Tactical packs will last for ever but won't exactly be enjoyable.

The new Kifaru bag the "Tarryall" may be exactly what your looking for though. Buy one and tell me all about it because I love the looks of the way they built it.

BrigandTwoFour
05-27-16, 23:11
FWIW, another option I've been hearing positive things about is the Karrimor SF Predator 45 PLCE. It's a well-regarded Brit design that Grey Ghost started importing recently.

http://www.greyghostgear.com/product-p/m012.htm

The Sabre 45 is another good option.

http://www.greyghostgear.com/product-p/m040.htm

duece71
05-28-16, 07:52
Mystery ranch 3 day assault is a nice set up, not light by any means but nice. MR ASAP looks great for EDC, maybe a. Bit small though. TAD gear fast pack EDC may also be considered, very well built. LBT has made some dedicated inserts for the Arcteryx offerings to make internal organization very clean. Check out all of the MR offerings.....great stuff.

Jellybean
05-28-16, 10:06
Well, if you're not packing winter equipment, than you can probably get away with a smaller pack like the Xray.
That being said... in my limited pack experience, I got a High Ground Gear HG3D a while back, and while it's stated as 2500 Cu. In., it is definitely somewhat...limiting... in capacity, plus it has not external attachment areas (molle), which to *me* for a "do all" pack it a must. Seems comfortable though.

So I guess what I'm getting at here is, you can get away with a smaller pack if you have external "plus-up" options. If not, it may not be a bad idea to get one size up. Of course, I have no idea how much you're packing, so YMMV...

Have you seen the Kifaru Xing?
They're still going to be available for a while, and if you do some reading around they seem to be very well liked as a "do all" pack that's also not to huge.
That was going to be the pack I bought originally, but then I started to get sticker shock and question the justifiably of a pack that price... But if you're looking to buy once,.... I'd by that pack LONG before I'd buy an Xray....

Per the above mention of Osprey, if you're looking for a little less overt-military style pack, and/or could care less about user-end expandability, and still around the current budget you seem to have, they would be worth a look. They also come in non-eye-searing colors without all the reflective bullshit....
One of the Aether 60 [?] packs was on my short list a while back.

HardToHandle
05-29-16, 10:26
But: I would like to first try one on before making the move. I won't be able to do that any time soon. However, there is an REI nearby. So I was thinking about trying a non-LEAF equivalent of the Khard 30 or 45, if such a thing exists. Now my question is what is the non-LEAF version of the Khard 30 or 45?

Arc Miura 35. Patagonia has a rope-climbing bag with similar features I have tried on as well.