PDA

View Full Version : PTSD

T2C
05-27-16, 21:51
This issue needs to be revisited every so often.

If you see the signs of the onset of PTSD in yourself, a neighbor or someone you served with, there is no shame in seeking the help of clergy or a trained professional. It could happen 20 days after you separate from service or 20 years later. You don't have to post it on your Facebook page or tell the whole ****ing planet through any other means of communication. Discreetly seek help and don't forget your family during the process.

Strong men seek help from other strong men when the need arises.

P2000
05-28-16, 00:06
I've been lucky enough to not experience anything to cause serious PTSD. However once I was in a decent car accident which gave me some trouble for a couple weeks. During this time, being in a car doing only 40mph almost made me want to scream. It could have been a lot worse, but what I felt was real enough to make me understand that traumatic events can mess with you big time. This was just a 4 second long car accident...

When I took my initial CCW class, the instructor was a Navy Vietnam vet. I don't know his whole story, but he said he served on river boats and saw and experienced some bad things he struggled with. When he got home he was mad, and angry, and resorted to heavy drinking. It took him more than a decade of getting drunk to seek help. He says within a year of seeking help he was a new man, and he deeply regretted not getting help earlier. His message was that PTSD is real and that something can be done about it, do not delay getting help.

BoringGuy45
05-28-16, 02:15
I've so far not been in a life and death situation that has caused serious long term distress. However, I did have a particularly traumatic experience about 4 years ago that took me a good two years from which to recover. During that time, I had night terrors almost 3-4 times a week. I had some nights where I couldn't sleep because I was so amped up in a fight or flight mode. I had mood swings: extreme anger at anyone who criticized me, that in a few seconds I would then turn on myself. I would break down crying randomly. I didn't allow myself to make even little mistakes; if I tripped and spilled coffee on the floor, or forgot to get something at the store, I would go on a tirade about how this kind of carelessness showed how hopeless I was.

I ended up losing a job due the fact that I was unable to relax and was terrified of my experience happening again. I told my supervisor and asked for counseling and guidance, but she responded that it wasn't scientifically possible for them to give less of a shit about my whiny little bitch problem and to grow a sack or hit the bricks. I would have had more support from General Patton.

I did get some counseling finally, and it was agreed that I did have some PTSD. I still have feelings of guilt and self-hatred over what happened even though everyone tells me that it wasn't my fault. I've accomplished a few goals and been able to move on a bit, but it's still a struggle, especially during times of stress or whenever I feel like my life's in a rut.

Firefly
05-28-16, 12:26
BG, that is unfortunate to hear.

Everybody is a professional and a hardass.....until it happens to them. I've seen people lose it. Really lose it. Not a tantrum, not a loud display.

One girl tried to filet herself and was barely 17. Nobody found out why.

I know guys that have eaten a gun over issues that seem minor but were just the straw that broke the camel's back. It took years and going through divorces, getting screwed by depsrtments, just stopping caring, and eventually seeing absolutely no point anymore.

And people see that as a weakness and are all too quick to be smug and capitalize on it.

People can turn their pain inward or outward. It can be constructive or destructive, but it must go somewhere.

I tell people, if the fat hick sheriff had been nicer; Rambo would've been a very short film.

I would say "surround yourself with good people", but that isn't always easy

WillBrink
05-28-16, 13:07
To add only, I posted a fair amount of PTSD related info in the health/fitness section over the years worth a look for those diagnosed.

Benito
05-29-16, 02:12
Good point about the straw that apparently minor stuff that broke the camel's back analogy. Many people have either gone through something similar or seen it, whether they realize it or not. It doesn't help things when the system is set up to punish people for seeking help (e.g. Having 2A rights denied because one seeks help).
I also find it ironic/hypocritical when the same people clamour for not stigmatizing those who have mental health issues, but then aare the first in line to do so when someone comes forward to seek help.
It reminds me of open borders anti-gun types who live in gated communities , behind walls and with armed security.

Caduceus
05-29-16, 12:15
I've been lucky enough to not experience anything to cause serious PTSD. However once I was in a decent car accident which gave me some trouble for a couple weeks. During this time, being in a car doing only 40mph almost made me want to scream. It could have been a lot worse, but what I felt was real enough to make me understand that traumatic events can mess with you big time. This was just a 4 second long car accident...

When I took my initial CCW class, the instructor was a Navy Vietnam vet. I don't know his whole story, but he said he served on river boats and saw and experienced some bad things he struggled with. When he got home he was mad, and angry, and resorted to heavy drinking. It took him more than a decade of getting drunk to seek help. He says within a year of seeking help he was a new man, and he deeply regretted not getting help earlier. His message was that PTSD is real and that something can be done about it, do not delay getting help.

So there's a difference (well, it's a spectrum) between PTSD and coping with something - an acute stress reaction. I forget the technicalities, but usually it's like 30 days from the incident, with other symptoms (flashbacks, affecting behaviors, etc) that differentiate PTSD from a normal coping mechanism. Sounds like you had the latter, not full on PTSD.

Having worked in EMS and associating with a LOT of Fire guys over the years, it's ridiculously under diagnosed in this group. Lots of trauma to other people, lots of dealing with dead people, and who do you think removes a lot of smoldering bodies from burnt buildings? Sure, the "critical incident stress debriefing" is standard, but I think of a lot of PD/FD guys just don't get the help they need. Fortunately the military has made a big push to get it addressed, but the civilian world falls behind, IME.

Now, working on the military side, it's hit and miss. It's easy to have the conversation, and once a person admits to it, it's easy to get the ball rolling. The macho "I don't have it," or the dumb "it'll ruin my career" are the two big reasons I've dealt with for not getting treatment. And to be perfectly honest, not everyone gets the same results from treatments, and some just give up.

That being said, as T2C points out, go seek help. Pretty much every service organization has contacts, the VA obviously, the help line, your local MTF, clergy, etc. It's one of the few things that a person can walk up to the front desk that I'll literally drop everything to address. Not because it's usually life-and-death that moment, but because it may the ONE time a person seeks help for it. That can take a lot of courage, and a piss-poor response can shut down the desire to even try again.

Hell, PM me if you need to. I'm not active duty much longer, but I'll do what I can.

turnburglar
05-29-16, 12:47
I'd like to throw some advice out for any who need it:

If you go and seek help for the first time, and the experience isn't positive: don't stop seeking help. Just find it in other places. Try a different doctor or find a group of people that have been through similar shit. I got back from Afghanistan at the end of '13 and the first mental health professional I saw said to me: "have you tried doing cardio? Maybe if you where more physically exhausted before going to bed- you won't grind your teeth, scream at night, or have bloody stools". Needless to say that morbidly obese cow was cut from my team, and now I am making decent strides in my quality of life with better doctors. Just don't give up on yourself. It will get better if you work on it.

Shorts
05-30-16, 05:02
On this subject, particularly in the PD/FD/EMS sector, where can one turn to for resources on being a friend/supporter to someone who does experience PTSD brought on by work-related and personal traumas? Just as there's help for the individual there got to be help for the helper. Any guidance?

J-Dub
05-30-16, 06:21
On this subject, particularly in the PD/FD/EMS sector, where can one turn to for resources on being a friend/supporter to someone who does experience PTSD brought on by work-related and personal traumas? Just as there's help for the individual there got to be help for the helper. Any guidance?

Most P.D.s have a peer support group with individuals that are informed on resources available out there.

T2C
05-30-16, 15:34

Most Police Departments, Fire Departments and EMS have access to resources. After a couple of LEO death incidents in our area, a large debriefing was held with Police, Firemen, EMS and dispatchers in attendance. In each instance the Sheriff's Department arranged the debriefing and anyone who needed private counseling at a later date was accommodated.

I strongly caution LEO involved in a use of force incident in which the officer takes a life. If the LEO directly involved seeks assistance, they should seek it from a certified Counselor, Therapist, etc. who's case notes are not subject to discovery in a civil proceeding. Counseling conducted by an uncertified Therapist has caused LEO legal issues in the past.

daddyusmaximus
05-30-16, 21:42
The best PTSD remedy I have found has been my constant companion, Brandy my German Shepherd. We go to training once a week and she is my PTSD service dog. My father-in-law found a place that offers free PTSD dog training to veterans, and put me in contact with them. We have between 6 and 10 vets there at any given week up to a LTC in rank. They have been great people, even understanding that there are days I don't show up becausethe pain levels from my injuries vary from day to day. Also, I just don't feel like going out some days. She is always with me, even today as we laid wreaths at 3 different cemeteries to honor our fallen with the VFW. Our color guard is a combined unit with members of the Legion also involved, and today, with Brandy.

There is no other animal (and few people) on God's green earth with the loyalty and soul of a good dog. I had a dog as a child, I had one before I ever went to war, I found one in country, and I have one (well 3) now. I couldn't imagine going through tough times of any description without the companionship of man's best friend. A dog is also the best security/early warning system there is.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/daddyusmaximus/Family%20shots/001_zpsnr6na8vt.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/daddyusmaximus/media/Family%20shots/001_zpsnr6na8vt.jpg.html)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/daddyusmaximus/20151024_134714-2_zps1wgqtazi.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/daddyusmaximus/media/20151024_134714-2_zps1wgqtazi.jpg.html)

WillBrink
05-31-16, 08:53
The best PTSD remedy I have found has been my constant companion, Brandy my German Shepherd. We go to training once a week and she is my PTSD service dog. My father-in-law found a place that offers free PTSD dog training to veterans, and put me in contact with them. We have between 6 and 10 vets there at any given week up to a LTC in rank. They have been great people, even understanding that there are days I don't show up becausethe pain levels from my injuries vary from day to day. Also, I just don't feel like going out some days. She is always with me, even today as we laid wreaths at 3 different cemeteries to honor our fallen with the VFW. Our color guard is a combined unit with members of the Legion also involved, and today, with Brandy.

There is no other animal (and few people) on God's green earth with the loyalty and soul of a good dog. I had a dog as a child, I had one before I ever went to war, I found one in country, and I have one (well 3) now. I couldn't imagine going through tough times of any description without the companionship of man's best friend. A dog is also the best security/early warning system there is.

Seems like a lot of good programs out there for PTSD service dogs. Also, via PTSD: National Center for PTSD:

Dogs and PTSD

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/dogs_and_ptsd.asp

I'm partial to GHs because they are the chit, need you as much as you need them, and just wonderful dogs with very low key calm demeanor:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120409/article/120409603

My GH is not a PTSD service dog in terms of receiving formal training for it, but her inherent personalty calms me greatly.

Shorts
06-03-16, 01:25
Gentleman thanks for the reminder of the formal resources we have in place. At this time I'm supporting a friend on a personal matter and not line of duty related. I was hoping to dig through online resources to keep me along a steady path on 'how to be' in this. In this situation the roles are reversed. My officer is the immediate family of the victim and who made the discovery. It's been traumatic to put it lightly. With the magnitude of the situation this officer has already reached out to formal resources. I'm simply being the best friend I can as well as bridging the gap back into the work setting. I know if need be I can go in and see a resource. Right now I don't feel it's necessary for my role.

Endur
06-03-16, 02:05

I honestly do not think there is a better remedy for any form of mental/emotional/psychological stress than a dog. My lab is what keeps me sane next to my son.

daddyusmaximus
06-05-16, 10:12
Why do veterans miss war? This is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZMSmcuiXM

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-05-16, 22:22
I never lost a friend while active duty, but after leaving the service I've had two friends take their lives. I hope that if someone needs the help, they man up and get it.

Firefly
06-05-16, 22:31
love is a two way street.

If someone is lost, find them.
If someone is looking for you, don't hide.

CPM
06-05-16, 23:22
I never lost a friend while active duty, but after leaving the service I've had two friends take their lives. I hope that if someone needs the help, they man up and get it.

Same here, brother.