PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive BCG Staking - potential wear issues?

Skyyr
05-29-16, 10:14
I recently ordered a BCG from a good company who've I've dealt with a few times before. Everything was quality, as expected (I've ordered a few BCG's from them previously); however, this particular BCG has what I would call "aggressive" staking, where the staking tool appears to have slipped or went past the top of the key, contacting the bottom, outer edges of the gas key at all 4 points and pushing material very slightly off to the side.

I'd post a picture of it, but the photo would give away whose BCG this was. The closest photo I've found online is one from G&R.

This is NOT a photo of my BCG, mine simply looks similar. My BCG is NOT from G&R.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%20Custom%20Builds/Gas_Key_Staking.jpg

Notice the tiny divot (shiny area) on the left key bolt/screw. Mine is slightly more pronounced, and it's below each staking point. My concern is that it will contact and wear into the inside track of the upper receiver unevenly, as the steel is harder than aluminum. I could sand it down/off, but the BCG has a surface treatment and it would most definitely remove it in that area, and potentially cause flaking/chipping around it.

I'm checking here first because I don't want to bring it to the manufacturer's attention unless it could be a true issue.

Clint
05-29-16, 10:17
Its an issue.

The lower surface of the gas key is a bearing surface.

DreadPirateMoyer
05-29-16, 11:52
is the brand LMT? And does it look like this? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?183415-LMT-s-new-gas-key-staking-is-odd-What-are-your-thoughts

joeyjoe
05-29-16, 12:25
non issue, for sure. My Colt BCGs are much more aggressively staked than that. Never had an issue and they all have marks from the staking process leading down the side of the gas key. Is that what you are talking about or am i missing something?
EDIT: Perhaps i overstated things in my initial post. I just pulled a couple of my Colt BCGs and although a few of them have very slight markings on the side of the key, none of them have anything quite that pronounced and there are no burrs on the sides that would cause wear in the upper.
Nonetheless, as long as that little burr isn't too aggressive, i think that staking is good to go??

Skyyr
05-29-16, 12:44
is the brand LMT? And does it look like this? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?183415-LMT-s-new-gas-key-staking-is-odd-What-are-your-thoughts

It's not LMT, though seeing the LMT staking makes me believe that mine is a non-issue. My main concern was the "edge" of the key being deformed out of true and causing uneven wear, being steel.

kirkland
05-29-16, 13:03
I think it is a problem, if theres a steel burr hanging out it will gouge the aluminum receiver. I would just file or sand it down. I wouldn't worry about the finish too much, your bcg will likely have oil on it at all times so rust isn't really a concern and as far as I know parkerizing doesn't flake off.

Todd.K
05-29-16, 13:26
File or stone it flat or send it back. The staking should not deform below the step at the top of the key, that's why there is a step.

sig1473
05-29-16, 13:30
File or stone it flat or send it back. The staking should not deform below the step at the top of the key, that's why there is a step.

^This. Just take a flat diamond file to it and make a few swipes. It will be okay.

JC5188
05-29-16, 13:58
If the surface treatment is already broken as in the photo you provided, I don't see what harm filing/sanding will do.

However, if you can send it back, I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyyr
05-29-16, 16:45
If the surface treatment is already broken as in the photo you provided, I don't see what harm filing/sanding will do.

However, if you can send it back, I would.

It's a Nickel-based treatment, not a traditional parkerized finish. Sanding it would remove the finish in the area and, I would think, potentially allow for a place for the finish to flake/separate.

I found a photo that looks very similar to my BCG - mine is slightly more pronounced, but the staking is similar in that the bottom ledge is slightly deformed and a tiny bit more of material sticks out.

http://rs31.pbsrc.com/albums/c386/jay2984/DSC05396.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

JC5188
05-29-16, 20:02
Yeah, I'd wait for IG or somebody to chime in then. I don't know.

Or just send it back. That's what I'd do more than likely.

SilverBullet432
05-29-16, 21:01
Take a file to it?

556BlackRifle
05-29-16, 21:16
Skyyr, paint it with machinist's dye or similar and check the points of contact for wear by pulling the charging handle several times. If the dye remains intact, fire off a few rounds and check again. if it's still okay - you are GTG. (There's actually a small amount of clearance in that area right below where the bolt rides in the charging handle during recoil.) If it wears, clean it up and send it back.

Ned Christiansen
05-29-16, 21:39
The OP's staking job was for sure done with my tool, the MOACKS. It says in the instructions that if this happens, file it off and go, that's what I do. That's an "if" because when you look at the print, the major width of the carrier key is held pretty tight but those two cuts (one each side) along the top are not, actually they are pretty wide-open in terms of both width and height. Those cuts are there specifically to "absorb" any displaced metal and keep it from moving out beyond the widest part of the carrier key. But again, because that's all those cuts do, they're not held very tightly, so sometimes they don't do it.

I'm certain a lot of guys that use the MOACKS don't bother to file anything off. What'll happen then is that the overhanging metal will cut a groove in the upper to accommodate itself and that'll be that. One of those things where if you didn't know it, you'd never know it.

So, no "real" harm done, but hey, when it's a new rifle nobody wants that and I don't blame them. Shoulda been filed off and maybe cold blued on a new rifle.

The MOACKS was originally conceived and made for staking / restaking inadequately staked keys at the armorer level, on guns already in use. I use mine maybe 30-50 times a year and most of the time this is not an issue; when it is I file it off. This is typically in a class setting where I'm the armorer and we need to get the gun back on the line.

Not to say it can't be used for assembling new carriers, it can be and I know there must be several out there being used that way. In that use I'd say yeah, they should be darn sure to file off any displaced metal for the sake of workmanship. For people that are staking in large numbers though, like the hundreds, I make the MoMOACKS, which stakes from the top, and the staking punches stop short of the side cuts. This bench-top tool has a rate of close to 400 per hour. It's big and 'spensive so not for the hobbyist, smith, or department armorer.

Additional good news is that the MOACKS hand tool that was used to stake the OP's carrier has been improved with bigger screws and they now come in at an angle, reducing this issue to something between "shouldn't happen" and "at least I have not seen it yet".

user
05-31-16, 01:25
Ned, great info. My moacks rocks.