PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a pic of a new LMT BCG?

rob_s
10-10-06, 14:11
I hear that they are now "properly" staked and marked MPI. I need a spare and I'd like to see a picture of their markings and staking before I order.

thanks.

RyanB
10-11-06, 02:00
On the Colt bolt that LMT repaired for me under warranty (MRP gas tube connected with carrier key) I would characterize one of the stakes as proper, one as marginal and two as poor.

No matter what you get, you might have to put the MOACKS to it.

As a side note, the new LMT bolts I have seen are marked MPJ, and its a deep marking applied before the finish, unlike the handwritten MPI on a Colt bolt.

I wish I had a pic, but I do not at this time.

SuicideHz
10-11-06, 10:01
My M16 bolt carrier group and MP tested bolt from Grant has an "MPx" or "Mx" etched deep into the bolt before it was park'd (or whatever) and it also has the scratched in "MP" in silver...

C4IGrant
10-11-06, 10:42
My M16 bolt carrier group and MP tested bolt from Grant has an "MPx" or "Mx" etched deep into the bolt before it was park'd (or whatever) and it also has the scratched in "MP" in silver...

That is a CMT bolt that I rebuild.

C4

C4IGrant
10-11-06, 10:43
Here is a pic of the "new" LMT bolt with the "MP" stamped into it.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LMT/MP%20tested%20bolt.JPG

rob_s
10-11-06, 10:46
Here is a pic of the "new" LMT bolt with the "MP" stamped into it.
C4
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LMT/MP%20tested%20bolt.JPG
Any photo of the staking?

SuicideHz
10-11-06, 11:24
Grant- Why are the bolts etched (scribbled) with "MP" when they are already rollmarked(?) as such?

Yes, I forgot that the enhanced reliability carrier/bolt that my friend ordered for me was CMT .

C4IGrant
10-11-06, 11:33
Any photo of the staking?

No, but they do a good job (looks like the ones I do on CMT carriers). :D

C4

C4IGrant
10-11-06, 11:34
Grant- Why are the bolts etched (scribbled) with "MP" when they are already rollmarked(?) as such?

Yes, I forgot that the enhanced reliability carrier/bolt that my friend ordered for me was CMT .

CMT bolts are not MP stamped, but some do say CM on them. I am guessing that stands for Continental Machine?

C4

Stickman
10-11-06, 12:19
While not 100% on topic, at least some of the CMT MPI bolts are marked, though not via stamping....

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/1d016501efdf7d73c452889fec0644f6.jpg

Stickman
10-11-06, 12:45
I hear that they are now "properly" staked and marked MPI. I need a spare and I'd like to see a picture of their markings and staking before I order.

thanks.

Here is a picture that I just shot. I picked this one up about a week ago, and its unfired/ unoiled so excuse the lint on it. I had meant to get a picture of the new markings and staking earlier, so your post give me the kick in the rear to go get it done. This one will go into my secondary duty carbine once its got enough rounds through it.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7114/lmtcarrierstickev4.jpg

SuicideHz
10-11-06, 12:47
Yep, that's what my CMT looks like. It also appears Grant gave my key a good whack with the MOACKS tool as well!

Stickman
10-11-06, 12:56
Yep, that's what my CMT looks like. It also appears Grant gave my key a good whack with the MOACKS tool as well!

Good, its less to worry about when things are together correctly. A nicely staked carrier is pretty hard to have anything go wrong with it.

SuicideHz
10-11-06, 12:59
I did pay the extra $10 for the reliability package which must have included the bolt, the o-ring and MOACKS whack.

Yeah, after my last upper that came with a "matched WOA bolt" that didn't seem to be staked very well, I went "all out" when buying this carrier.

A long time ago I decided my next bolt and carrier would be chrome but I realized I'd be better suited to spend the money on quality and not bling.

rob_s
10-11-06, 14:35
Here is a picture that I just shot. I picked this one up about a week ago, and its unfired/ unoiled so excuse the lint on it. I had meant to get a picture of the new markings and staking earlier, so your post give me the kick in the rear to go get it done. This one will go into my secondary duty carbine once its got enough rounds through it.

Thank you very much. Now I know what to order.

C4IGrant
10-11-06, 14:59
I did pay the extra $10 for the reliability package which must have included the bolt, the o-ring and MOACKS whack.

Yeah, after my last upper that came with a "matched WOA bolt" that didn't seem to be staked very well, I went "all out" when buying this carrier.

A long time ago I decided my next bolt and carrier would be chrome but I realized I'd be better suited to spend the money on quality and not bling.

I also change out the blue insert for a black one and install a 5 coil spring in my bolts.

C4

roar
11-11-07, 16:44
I was just looking at my LMT bolt, and it has a vertical orientation of an MP stamping. It isn't a full M and P, but you can tell thats what it is supposed to be. Anyways, my post is to ask about an R that is stamped on the other side of the bolt. Does anyone know what this R means?

scottryan
11-11-07, 17:07
Why are the lugs on the LMT bolt undercut? Look behind the lugs compared to a USGI style bolt.

militarymoron
11-11-07, 17:50
...so excuse the lint on it.

we'll let that one slide this time. :p

nice photo as always.

SuicideHz
11-11-07, 19:14
I also change out the blue insert for a black one and install a 5 coil spring in my bolts.

C4

Well I can say it's worth the piece of mind and I haven't had any problems in several hundred rounds- not that you'd expect to see one in the first 500...

YukonGlocker
04-30-08, 17:50
Does LMT mark their bolt carriers?
Does LMT make their own bolt carriers?

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 08:16
Does LMT mark their bolt carriers?
Does LMT make their own bolt carriers?

Yes on the bolts. They will have "MP" stamped in them along with another letter.

LMT bolt carrier have a "tell" if you know where to look.

Yes on the carriers.

C4

austinN4
05-01-08, 08:21
LMT bolt carrier have a "tell" if you know where to look.
And what is the "tell"? Edited to add: And what about LMT BCGs sold to other manufaturers such as S&W for the M&P? Do they have the same markings and "tell"?

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 08:53
And what is the "tell"? Edited to add: And what about LMT BCGs sold to other manufaturers such as S&W for the M&P? Do they have the same markings and "tell"?

The "tell" is a secret. ;)

Just kidding, the screws that LMT uses to fasten their gas keys are like no other ones on the market as they have a distinct shape to them.

LMT does not change anything when they sell their BCG's to another company.

As an FYI, S&W is no longer buying BCG's from LMT.

C4

austinN4
05-01-08, 09:06
As an FYI, S&W is no longer buying BCG's from LMT.

Thanks. Do you know who S&W is getting their BCGs from?

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 09:12
Thanks. Do you know who S&W is getting their BCGs from?

Yes I do.

C4

eightmillimeter
05-01-08, 10:33
Yes I do.

C4

Sir, from whom would that be then Sir? I am only curious because S&W just destroyed all the rifles they originally shipped us and gave us new ones.

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 10:43
Sir, from whom would that be then Sir? I am only curious because S&W just destroyed all the rifles they originally shipped us and gave us new ones.

I doubt that you have ever heard of the company and they also do not sell to the public.

C4

austinN4
05-01-08, 11:18
I doubt that you have ever heard of the company........
The way to fix that is to tell us. Who is it and why so secretive?

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 11:20
The way to fix that is to tell us. Who is it and why so secretive?

The name of the company would not do you any good so it really does not matter.

Most manufacturers do not like where their parts are made broadcast around the errornet. S&W is no different.

C4

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 12:19
C4=TOOL

LOL, good one. Did you think of that yourself or did you get help?

Let me ask you a question, what benefit would you get from know who makes S&W BCG's?

C4

tinman44
05-01-08, 12:23
C4=TOOL

i hope you didnt mean that in a darogatory way.

YukonGlocker
05-01-08, 12:42
Thanks for the info Grant.
I knew about the bolts; but I didn't know how to tell on the carriers.

Hawk777th
05-01-08, 12:50
If you cant tell us who they source them from can you tell if they are on par with LMT's?

austinN4
05-01-08, 12:57

Most manufacturers do not like where their parts are made broadcast around the errornet. S&W is no different.C4
You didn't seem to have a problem with it when you posted this on another forum:
The S&W 15A (IMHO) is also an excellent value as it come with a LMT BCG and a Troy rear for around $835.C4

I am not trying to make a big deal about this, but it seems odd to me that you were willing to name LMT when it was, but not willing to name whomever when it wasn't.

It seems to me that talking about parts and their various manufactures is a large part of what goes on here. Again, no big deal.

Robb Jensen
05-01-08, 13:15
You didn't seem to have a problem with it when you posted this on another forum:
The S&W 15A (IMHO) is also an excellent value as it come with a LMT BCG and a Troy rear for around $835.C4

I am not trying to make a big deal about this, but it seems odd to me that you were willing to name LMT when it was, but not willing to name whomever when it wasn't.

It seems to me that talking about parts and their various manufactures is a large part of what goes on here. Again, no big deal.

It used to be a CMT BCG, then a LMT BCG, and now a completely different companies BCG.....

LMTs were great and the new one is great as well. The CMTs were good but not staked very well at all.

Rik
05-01-08, 13:18
I am only curious because S&W just destroyed all the rifles they originally shipped us and gave us new ones.

What about "S&W just destroyed all the rifles they originally shipped us" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is this SOP?

Lonestar.45
05-01-08, 13:25

Most manufacturers do not like where their parts are made broadcast around the errornet. S&W is no different.

C4

But when S&W used LMT bolts you had no problem letting everyone know... LOL. I've seen plenty of posts where you broadcast who makes certain parts for different AR' manufacturers.

DM-SC
05-01-08, 14:46
Let me ask you a question, what benefit would you get from know who makes S&W BCG's?

C4

I don't really care about the "who" (other than knowing is fun! ;) ) so much as I care about the quality. The LMT was a known good part. How about the new ones?

As for S&W switching from LMT to...um...who ever it is...any hint as to the S/N where that happened?

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 16:31
If you cant tell us who they source them from can you tell if they are on par with LMT's?

They are a pretty good quality so there is nothing to worry about.

C4

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 16:33

Yes, I did mention it in the past because the Stag BCG's were not a good deal and scared a lot of people off. When they switched to LMT, it was an important enough change that people needed to know.

Switching from LMT to the new company is not a big deal.

C4

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 16:39
The 5th grade I'm not telling you BS doesn't fly with me. If S&W specifically told you not to tell then thats one thing, if not then don't act like it's a big secret. Everyone will know sooner or later anyway. This industry is made and broken on the simple reputations of manufacturers that are talked about on places like this very board. Not trying to be a dick when I posted that but the way you answered my question was unprofessional at best.

Did someone make you the BS detector for the errornet?

All manufacturers try and keep where they get their parts from a secret. I work closely with S&W and a lot of the info I know is not for public dissemination (sorry).

Do you know where RRA, BM, OLY, etc, get their bolts and carriers? Most likely not.

The company that makes the BCG's would mean absolutely NOTHING to you and since they do not sell to the public you will never be able to find a running thread on the errornet about their quality.

So my answer was not unprofessional in the least, you just didn't like the answer. That is on you and not me. Calling someone a name also makes you look the immature kid, not me. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 16:42
But when S&W used LMT bolts you had no problem letting everyone know... LOL. I've seen plenty of posts where you broadcast who makes certain parts for different AR' manufacturers.

Right you are. When it is big upgrade, I do tell people. When there is a lateral change there is no need to tell.

Look at this way, if I wouldn't have said anything, you would still be in the dark. Now you at least know something more than the rest of the errornet.

C4

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 16:43
I don't really care about the "who" (other than knowing is fun! ;) ) so much as I care about the quality. The LMT was a known good part. How about the new ones?

As for S&W switching from LMT to...um...who ever it is...any hint as to the S/N where that happened?

Don't know serial numbers, but it happened about 1 month ago I think.

C4

DM-SC
05-01-08, 19:48
Don't know serial numbers, but it happened about 1 month ago I think.

C4

I just pulled my BCG and the bolt has the"MP" on one side a "V" on the other. From what's been written so far...this is a LMT BCG?

FYI on the S/N...my 15A is an early 66XXX.

C4IGrant
05-01-08, 21:56
I just pulled my BCG and the bolt has the"MP" on one side a "V" on the other. From what's been written so far...this is a LMT BCG?

FYI on the S/N...my 15A is an early 66XXX.

That is an LMT.

C4

Rik
05-01-08, 22:20
S&W just destroyed all the rifles they originally shipped us and gave us new ones.

Is this SOP?

eightmillimeter
05-01-08, 23:29
Did someone make you the BS detector for the errornet?

All manufacturers try and keep where they get their parts from a secret. I work closely with S&W and a lot of the info I know is not for public dissemination (sorry).

Do you know where RRA, BM, OLY, etc, get their bolts and carriers? Most likely not.

The company that makes the BCG's would mean absolutely NOTHING to you and since they do not sell to the public you will never be able to find a running thread on the errornet about their quality.

So my answer was not unprofessional in the least, you just didn't like the answer. That is on you and not me. Calling someone a name also makes you look the immature kid, not me. ;)

C4

Okay, I'll set the record straight. I thought my last post cleared up the fact that I wasn't name calling and meant no harm in my statement other than to express frustration. I work a job where I get lied to every day and when someone says they won't tell me something I expect a damn good reason...sorry...force of habbit. So if you took any offense I apologize. That said don't just not answer an honest question by saying no more to the effect of I'm not telling. For being in the industry that is unprofessional. I would have easily accepted and let go had you just said S&W does not want to release that information. My opinion won't change on that fact. Also, unlike a lot of people in this forum, my life depends on the quality of the M&P series handguns and now recently their rifles too. So it is fair to say that I have a legit interest in this particular subject matter.

To answer your questions: yes, no, and no, but I don't have to use those weapons so I don't care either.

Also, I tend to gather information from several sources, not just the "errornet" as you call it so eloquently. I wasn't looking to go out in search of a "Hows the quality of XXX's BCG's?" thread, like I said before I have a particular interest in this particular subject matter.

So hopefully no harm done and again I apologize if it was taken the wrong way. Everyone gets frustrated. But hopefully reading this whole thread has also shown you that I'm not the only one who wanted to know either.

eightmillimeter
05-01-08, 23:33
Is this SOP?

I have no idea. Their contract with us stated we had to give them one chance to rectify any problems before we re-opened the contract to new bids again. Their solution was to collect the entire batch of guns both issued and non-issued, destroy them, and then give us new ones. From what I've seen so far it worked so at least they got it figured out. It took way too long for us to get rifles so I didn't really want to wait around for another year of testing and bidding from the same manufacturers that tried last time.

C4IGrant
05-05-08, 13:03
Okay, I'll set the record straight. I thought my last post cleared up the fact that I wasn't name calling and meant no harm in my statement other than to express frustration. I work a job where I get lied to every day and when someone says they won't tell me something I expect a damn good reason...sorry...force of habbit. So if you took any offense I apologize. That said don't just not answer an honest question by saying no more to the effect of I'm not telling. For being in the industry that is unprofessional. I would have easily accepted and let go had you just said S&W does not want to release that information. My opinion won't change on that fact. Also, unlike a lot of people in this forum, my life depends on the quality of the M&P series handguns and now recently their rifles too. So it is fair to say that I have a legit interest in this particular subject matter.

To answer your questions: yes, no, and no, but I don't have to use those weapons so I don't care either.

Also, I tend to gather information from several sources, not just the "errornet" as you call it so eloquently. I wasn't looking to go out in search of a "Hows the quality of XXX's BCG's?" thread, like I said before I have a particular interest in this particular subject matter.

So hopefully no harm done and again I apologize if it was taken the wrong way. Everyone gets frustrated. But hopefully reading this whole thread has also shown you that I'm not the only one who wanted to know either.

I understand that your a Cop and I am fairly certain I even know whom you work for. Since you depend on your weapon, I fully get that you want to know if it is quality or not. My point to you is that if I gave you the name, you still wouldn't know as you would have never heard of the company.

If I felt the BCG being put out from S&W was junk, I would be the first one working to get it changed.

C4

TWR
05-05-08, 15:29
I have one with AA on the bottom of the bolt. What does that stand for?