PDA

View Full Version : DLC (Diamond like carbide) Coated Bcg

TheNegativeOne
05-30-16, 08:41
Does anyone have any experience with this coating? Ive had one for about 2yrs and I can tell you with all this stuff about np3 and nickel boron, it absolutley smokes them both as far as wear and slickness. Its the slickest bolt ive ever handled. It kinda feels like its always oiled and you expect to get some your hands when you put it down but its bone dry. I forget the rockwell hardness but if anyone is interested, look it up. All i can say is that it makes nickel boron feel like a sand paper coating.

Eurodriver
05-30-16, 09:07
What benefit does it provide over a milspec coating?

jurassic
05-30-16, 09:46
Probably none if you perform proper maintenance on your rifle, but I wish I had held on to the BCM version I got my hands on a few years ago. There is another thread regarding a recent version, but I can't find it. This time it's a different color and not available.

http://bravocompanymfg.com/rifles/sam.php

TheNegativeOne
05-30-16, 15:13
What benefit does it provide over a milspec coating?

I clean it just like i would any bolt but it can be cleaned with just a rag. Nothing sticks to it. It makes nickel boron feel like sand paper.

Here is the article I read about it.
http://gatdaily.com/diamond-like-carbon-the-dlc-solution/

Iraqgunz
05-30-16, 15:54
I have a barrel with DLC treatment as well as a BCG and some other components. Unfortunately it is difficult to find legit places to have the work done, etc...

TheNegativeOne
05-30-16, 16:12
I have a barrel with DLC treatment as well as a BCG and some other components. Unfortunately it is difficult to find legit places to have the work done, etc...
I had an email exchange with the guy who did mine. He told me it cost him 10's of thousands of dollars to develop his process. Thats why you dont hear a lot about the coating. The base bolt i have is a young manufacturing coated by perfarms. DLC is the coating that is used on the bits that are used for drilling for oil. Which is his main buisiness.

Iraqgunz
05-30-16, 16:16
I am very familiar with them and the process.

I had an email exchange with the guy who did mine. He told me it cost him 10's of thousands of dollars to develop his process. Thats why you dont hear a lot about the coating. The base bolt i have is a young manufacturing coated by perfarms. DLC is the coating that is used on the bits that are used for drilling for oil. Which is his main buisiness.

Cokie
05-30-16, 16:46
Does anyone have any experience with this coating? Ive had one for about 2yrs and I can tell you with all this stuff about np3 and nickel boron, it absolutley smokes them both as far as wear and slickness. Its the slickest bolt ive ever handled. It kinda feels like its always oiled and you expect to get some your hands when you put it down but its bone dry. I forget the rockwell hardness but if anyone is interested, look it up. All i can say is that it makes nickel boron feel like a sand paper coating.

Sounds like you have enough experience for the both of us :)
I like my BCM BCG

kirkland
05-30-16, 17:31
I've seen people on these forums say that they can just wipe the bolt clean with a dry rag because they use, NiB BCG's, NP3 BCG's, hard chrome BCG's, fireclean, froglube, piston rifles, and now this new coating. I don't believe any of it, and I'll stick with my standard BCG.

Iraqgunz
05-30-16, 17:40
You are generalizing and lumping things together. DLC has very unique properties and uses. DLC isn't new per se and has been used in the oil and gas industry for several years.

I've seen people on these forums say that they can just wipe the bolt clean with a dry rag because they use, NiB BCG's, NP3 BCG's, hard chrome BCG's, fireclean, froglube, piston rifles, and now this new coating. I don't believe any of it, and I'll stick with my standard BCG.

Iraqgunz
05-30-16, 17:43
Also, just a point of clarification. The process is called DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon, not carbide).

TheNegativeOne
05-30-16, 17:54
Sounds like you have enough experience for the both of us :)
I like my BCM BCG

I like mine too. If i could get it coated in dlc, I'd like it a lot more. I guess you really have to handle one to get it.

JC5188
05-30-16, 19:37
Not a BCG, but I have a knife that has a DLC coated blade. I had to stop carrying my keys in the same pocket because the knife was wearing flat spots on them. I could literally use the keys to write on the blade like chalk on a chalkboard, and then wipe it off with no evidence it was ever there. Amazing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeanCarbine
05-30-16, 19:50
Not a BCG, but I have a knife that has a DLC coated blade. I had to stop carrying my keys in the same pocket because the knife was wearing flat spots on them. I could literally use the keys to write on the blade like chalk on a chalkboard, and then wipe it off with no evidence it was ever there. Amazing stuff.

Wonder if there is any extra wear on the receiver with this hard coating?

556BlackRifle
05-31-16, 08:54

Wonder if there is any extra wear on the receiver with this hard coating?

My thoughts exactly. Sound like a pretty nice coating as long as it doesn't abrade the BCG channel or barrel extension lugs.

TheNegativeOne
05-31-16, 10:19
My thoughts exactly. Sound like a pretty nice coating as long as it doesn't abrade the BCG channel or barrel extension lugs.
I havent checked but i will tonight and let you know. I doubt it though, its slick as snot.

MeanCarbine
05-31-16, 12:44
I havent checked but i will tonight and let you know. I doubt it though, its slick as snot.

Well that's the idea but when the previous post mentioned that his DLC knife wore flat spots on his keys it made me wonder.

JC5188
05-31-16, 12:52
It was the spine of the knife, so not like it was two flat surfaces rubbing together. However, I can in fact write on the DLC using the keys like a piece of chalk. If I remember later I'll post a pic.

HeruMew
05-31-16, 13:04
Wait, this topic isn't about Down Loadable Content?

In all reality, sounds super practical, and a good enough application.

I will have to look into this when it comes down to getting a new carrier for another build.

I can only imagine the price if it costs that much to develop the process alone.

ABNAK
05-31-16, 18:33

You've got to remember that what someone means by "wipes clean" (clean being the key word there) may be different from someone else's description of clean. ;)

FWIW, to me the bolt tail is the litmus test of a finish or solvent's ability to shun carbon buildup. I have yet to see one just "wipe clean" (to my standards which is NO carbon) and not require some elbow grease to be carbon-free. Some finishes and solvents are better than others but that carbon on the bolt tail has been BAKED on there!

TheNegativeOne
05-31-16, 20:22

I just looked at it with a flashlight, theres almost no wear at all in the upper or on the bcg.

556BlackRifle
06-01-16, 09:30
I just looked at it with a flashlight, theres almost no wear at all in the upper or on the bcg.

Interesting. Not sold on it yet but thanks for data point.

TheNegativeOne
06-01-16, 09:52
Interesting. Not sold on it yet but thanks for data point.

Im not even sure you could get one if you wanted it. I checked the site i bought it off of and they seem to be not taking orders.

EzGoingKev
06-01-16, 14:29
I do not have any experience with DLC in regards to firearms but have used DLC coated parts on motorcycles such as wrist pins, piston rings, and suspension parts.

It works good to reduce friction.