PDA

View Full Version : AR-556 Optics search

jrd
05-30-16, 12:27
Ok, here goes. I have a Ruger AR-556 that I purchased recently and I am looking for optics for it. I currently have a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm mounted on a Rock River Arms Hi-Rise Cantilever 1” Scope Mount. The problem is that the scope it is rather large and I would prefer something more in the 1-4 variable power range (but any 1-? would be considered). One of my criteria is a very clear 1 power setting and it should be an actual 1 power setting. A lot of what I’ve seen are real world 1.25 or 1.5 or something close to 1 power). Obviously an AR-15 level of eye relief is needed. I do prefer a variable power as the eyes are not as young as the old days. I would like something suitable for an AR-15ish setup (the Leupold is a little large). Thanks for the help.

mattpittinger
05-30-16, 14:03
1st and foremost question would be, what is your budget? There are a lot of optics that fit that bill, but the price range varies wildly. Also if the 2x7 Leupold is too large most of the good ones in the 1-4/1-6 range are equally large, being they are 30mm tube or larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrd
05-30-16, 14:29
As of now there is no "fixed" budget but seeing that the AR-556 is more of an "entry level" AR-15 I would like to keep it with that in mind. 1" or 30mm tube makes no difference to me but any larger would probably be too much. Thanks.

GH41
05-30-16, 14:30
^^^^ What Matt said. Low budget and true 1X ain't gonna happen. True 1's for the most part are heavy if weight is a concern. Also... Do you want illuminated reticle? Ranging reticle? Exposed Turrets?

mattpittinger
05-30-16, 14:36
For budget, look at primary arms, swafa, and Burris

jrd
05-30-16, 15:04
Reticle would probably be reasonably standard - nothing to fancy. Illuminated is not an issue either way. Not looking for long range work - mostly closer in - anything over 4x is not necessary but if it has it OK.

signal4l
05-30-16, 17:16
Take a look at the Vortex 1-4 offerings. Vortex makes decent stuff. Excellent customer service as well.

Caeser25
06-01-16, 21:42
Vortex PST 1-4, Trijicon Accupoint. Options are endless depending on price and the farthest distance you want to be able to make hits at.

samuse
06-01-16, 23:58
Good 1-4s are big and heavy.

I ended up back with a ACOG and am more happy with it than I ever was with the LPVs I've used.

diving dave
06-02-16, 10:31
I picked up a Leatherwood CMR 1-4 for my SBR 6.8 build. For a budget scope, the glass is pretty good. I compared it side by side with my Nightforce 1-4 and give a slight edge to the NF, but only just so. Reticle is a little "busy", but its held zero just fine..Decent scope for the money.

mattpittinger
06-02-16, 11:37
I've had a couple of the primary arms scopes, tried like hell to break them and haven't had any luck yet, glass isn't as good as some of my higher end scopes, but they definitely get the job done.

VIP3R 237
06-02-16, 11:44
I've had a couple of the primary arms scopes, tried like hell to break them and haven't had any luck yet, glass isn't as good as some of my higher end scopes, but they definitely get the job done.

Same here, I tried like hell to break one of their Compact 4X sights and after an honest 10K rounds it kept on working like new. Im trying to break their 1-6x right now and so far so good.

sneakypete
06-02-16, 18:18
what di dyou end up going with?

jrd
06-06-16, 15:24
Right now I am leaning towards the Leupold VX-HOG 1-4x20. It really has a clear view at 1X (although it seemed a little over 1X but not much). I was in the store over the weekend and they had one on display. It was pretty light and extremely clear on all settings especially 1X. I kind of like the "Hog" reticle - heavy on both sides and heavy at the bottom with a thin top and a circle in the middle. It was really easy to pick up on something and it was pretty light. With a price point of $229 I was impressed. I will keep looking for now as I am not getting the jitters yet.

mattpittinger
06-06-16, 18:45
Right now I am leaning towards the Leupold VX-HOG 1-4x20. It really has a clear view at 1X (although it seemed a little over 1X but not much). I was in the store over the weekend and they had one on display. It was pretty light and extremely clear on all settings especially 1X. I kind of like the "Hog" reticle - heavy on both sides and heavy at the bottom with a thin top and a circle in the middle. It was really easy to pick up on something and it was pretty light. With a price point of $229 I was impressed. I will keep looking for now as I am not getting the jitters yet.

True 1x in a hunting situations is over rated, most of the time I leave my optic at 3x to 6x. Magnification is very important. It helps with target ID on targets that are neutral to dark in color, hogs, deer, and even in the real world shooting.... Two legged and such. Most things don't stick out like orange white targets most people shoot. I've done a lot of testing and training shooting on camo targets in the woods/pasture 50yds and out. If you shoot both eyes up close with a little mag, it's almost as fast, and at distance it's wayyyyyyyyy faster.

I also have a couple of the older plain duplex leupolds in 1-4 and 1.5-5. Damn fine scopes for the money. Used to run one on my FAL. For the money you won't get better glass. Amazon has them at the $200 mark. Being 1" you won't get the adjustment / light gathering of a 30 mil, but for under 300 shooting it's hard to beat on a budget.

Hochsitz
06-07-16, 12:09
Being 1" you won't get the adjustment / light gathering of a 30 mil, but for under 300 shooting it's hard to beat on a budget.

Not trying to be a stickler but we need to kill this rumor that tube size has anything to do with light gathering or image brightness. It ONLY affects adjustment travel. For the last three decades various scope companies (the latest being Vortex) have tried to use this misinformation as a way to sell their scopes at the gun store because the customer can see the size difference and it seems probable in a mechanical world. Well this is light passing through glass not water through a hose and photons don't behave anything like water molecules.

Pilot1
06-07-16, 12:50
I have a SWFA SS 1-4x24 on my Colt LE6920, and really like it. Look for used ones or when they go on sale. I think they are $399 now, full price.

scooter22
06-08-16, 03:37
Anyone try the new Burris XTR II 1-8x?

clarkz71
06-10-16, 16:05
I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X24 coming from ***** @ ***
I'll post a report after testing.

Straight Shooter
06-11-16, 17:31
I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X24 coming from Grant @ G&R

I'll post a report after testing.

Please do...Im looking at this scope now myself.

clarkz71
06-11-16, 17:39
Please do...Im looking at this scope now myself.

Tracking says Wednesday, pretty quick since I ordered it noon yesterday.

Grant got it shipped out same day and has the best price.