PDA

View Full Version : I knew this was happening, Jewelry Stores Switching Diamonds.

Averageman
05-30-16, 16:17
http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/27/kay-jewelers-accused-of-switching-gems-with-inferior-replacement/21384646/?cps=gravity_4816_3878532813261593898

A major jewelry store is being accused of secretly switching the gems in their customers' rings with inferior replacements.
In fact, BuzzFeed News posted a story last month about a woman whose custom-designed engagement ring simply disappeared during a repair and another who had a diamond fall out of a replacement ring.

The company's Facebook page also contains numerous complaints about customers receiving lower-quality stones, stores trying to cover up lost rings, and poor workmanship in general.

My Ex had a very nice engagement ring, every time She would see the "Free Diamond Ring Cleaning" sign, She would stop and have it cleaned. I told her that I thought these guys would, if given the chance swap the stone on her.
Turns out it was happening.

_Stormin_
05-30-16, 16:23
I wouldn't have expected it from a major chain, but I'm not entirely shocked that there's a dishonest jeweler or two out there... It's not like everyone grabs the loupe and verifies the engraved serial number before leaving the store.

Averageman
05-30-16, 16:26
Well considering it might take 30 minutes worth of work and net you some serious cash, I'm surprised this is the first time I have seen it is actually being done.

.46caliber
05-30-16, 16:32
Particularly disgusting in light of the fact that engagement diamonds are often passed down across generations and are family heirlooms.

JoshNC
05-30-16, 17:07
A very high end jeweler in my home town was doing this for years to some wealthy high-profile clients. His luck eventually ran out and one of those clients hired a private detective and spared no expenses in making sure he was caught.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20130418,00.html

I know every aspect of my wife's engagement ring diamond. It's a gorgeous stone, does have a few minor flaws that are not visible to most but I know where they are. I inspect it with loupes every time it returns from cleaning, service, etc.

Moose-Knuckle
05-31-16, 02:08
My 97 year old grandfather has his father's gold pocket watch and has refused to ever take it in to service it for this very reason, hasn't run in decades but he doesn't trust any of them.