PDA

View Full Version : Concealable/Slick Plate Carrier

Boy Scout
05-30-16, 18:02
Hello M4C brain trust,

I'm on the hunt for a decent concealable or slick plate carrier to wear for police PSD operations (bodyguard work). Intended specs and wear would be using 10x12 IIIA backers most of the time, with the occasional insertion of plates, under a button up shirt. So far, I've found a few but am looking for more input in case I've missed any options. Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this type of detail and their equipment or these PC's:

Warrior Assault Systems Covert Plate Carrier
Perroz Slick Plate Carrier
Ferro Designs Slickster
Beez Combat Systems SPT Carrier
Shellback Stealth Low Vis Plate Carrier

1. Has anyone used just backers in a plate carrier and what kind of play might I run into? The CPC and the Beez look like I might not get any extra play based on their design.

2. Would using size large backers take up some play if necessary?

3. I really like the feature on the CPC and Slickster with the sewn in pouches on the elastic cumberbun.

4. I'd prefer mesh on the inside (but not a deal breaker), 500 denier nylon, in a lighter color like coyote, grey, or even white.

5. I'd like Velcro on the front for a LE patch, but again not a deal breaker.

Thanks for taking the time to look and I appreciate any help in advance!

Wake27
05-30-16, 18:36
Did you look at Velocity's option? I forget the name of the top of my head, maybe Light Weight Plate Carrier (LWPC). Velocity/Mayflower are the only ones I have but can't recommend them enough. My spare PC (APC) has only soft inserts at the moment which isn't an issue with the keeper strap within the plate pocket. It's about the most scalable option too. You can go from soft armor and no shoulder strap padding to full plates, shoulder pads, and a full chest rig in only a few minutes. Only downside is limited colors. Take a look at OP Tactical's website. I have their MBAV-APC (Mayflower/OPT collaboration) and the regular Mayflower APC and love both like I said. Velocity and Mayflower are sister companies and all of my armor is Velocity. You could even reach out to them and see if they'll do a run in grey, I'd buy one. They're pretty responsive to customers from what I hear.

ETA - I switched from the APC to the MBAV-APC because of the improved fit of 10x12 plates in the BALCS carrier.

GTF425
05-30-16, 18:50
Check out "The Slick" from First Spear. You'll forget you're wearing it.

Avoid Warrior Assault Systems. Airsoft quality crap.

GTF425
05-30-16, 19:11
If you'll ever need full BALCS coverage, the Mayflower LPAC is a great choice.

Jellybean
05-30-16, 21:42
Hello M4C brain trust,

I'm on the hunt for a decent concealable or slick plate carrier to wear for police PSD operations (bodyguard work). Intended specs and wear would be using 10x12 IIIA backers most of the time, with the occasional insertion of plates, under a button up shirt. So far, I've found a few but am looking for more input in case I've missed any options. Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this type of detail and their equipment or these PC's:

Warrior Assault Systems Covert Plate Carrier
Perroz Slick Plate Carrier
Ferro Designs Slickster
Beez Combat Systems SPT Carrier
Shellback Stealth Low Vis Plate Carrier

1. Has anyone used just backers in a plate carrier and what kind of play might I run into? The CPC and the Beez look like I might not get any extra play based on their design.

Generally, the plate bag will be a little "baggy" with just the soft backer- how much so, generally seems to depend on how tight the tolerances are sewn with the size of the plate bag, which varies between companies and designs....
Since you won't be bolting all sorts of pouches to the outside, any "slick" carrier like the Slickster/Perroz Velocity LWPC, etc, probably won't be to bad with just a IIIA backer.
Check with Velocity, but if their LWPC has an internal riser strap like the Scarab and APC do (I'm pretty sure it does), that may be the one to start with if you're worried about just a backer flopping around in the thing, and it's cheap so if you hate it, you're not out to much figuring out what you like.

2. Would using size large backers take up some play if necessary?
Not likely, unless you have a PC with bags sewn to extremely loose tolerances....

3. I really like the feature on the CPC and Slickster with the sewn in pouches on the elastic cumberbun.

4. I'd prefer mesh on the inside (but not a deal breaker), 500 denier nylon, in a lighter color like coyote, grey, or even white.

5. I'd like Velcro on the front for a LE patch, but again not a deal breaker.

Sounds like either a Slickster or LWPC is in your future.... :)

Thanks for taking the time to look and I appreciate any help in advance!

It's not out yet, but just so you don't feel like you're perpetually stuck with a IIIA backer in a vest built for plates....if you're reasonably sure you're just going to be needing IIIA most of the time, maybe give Crye Precision a holler about their new upcoming LVS system. Probably the slickest dedicated IIIA armor vest design I've seen in a while.
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/01/23/shot-show-crye-precision-lvs/

Wake27
05-30-16, 21:49
Double

Caeser25
06-01-16, 21:48
I have a Velocity LWPC, I think you can do better for a your use.

Boy Scout
06-02-16, 01:38
I may have found a pretty good solution, and from another M4C member! Working on a Velocity ULV system...I think the addition of a pouched elastic cumberbun will give me the storage I'm looking for. Soft armor with a hair more protection than just the 10x12 backer under a button up shirt should be barely noticeable. I'll post some pics after I get it up and running.