PDA

View Full Version : Odd ball 9mm case

Gingerkid
05-30-16, 18:51
I was reloading 9mm on the Dillon 550b this afternoon and the size/deprime operation binded up on me. I assumed it was a military headstamp crimped primer... But no, upon inspection the case had a thick wall at the base and then stepped down to normal thickness. I haven't been reloading very long but had never seen this before. Check it out. :confused:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GingerKidPhotos/Guns_and_Gear/83262D43-B3E6-4AA5-8977-9BE8299159AC_zpsvxmawuki.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GingerKidPhotos/Guns_and_Gear/EFA86802-BBB7-46E5-A7CA-31822F8F65F4_zpsrm9gjao0.jpg

boombotz401
05-30-16, 18:54
New one for me, never seen that before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam
05-30-16, 18:59
Top secret case developed for the secret special assault tier 0.01 unit.

.46caliber
05-30-16, 19:19
Sorry to link to outside source, but there is more info and pics here:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/288787-ammoload-headstamp-9x19-brass.html

ETA: some have gotten gnarly splits at that shoulder. I'd just junk the stuff.

LoboTBL
05-30-16, 19:25
I recently picked up a few of these at the range also. My best guess is that the design is to eliminate the issue of bullet setback. I'm going to start looking for this brass in .40S&W and .45ACP and see if it is present there also.

themonk
05-30-16, 19:26
I have seen this before on rounds that are designed to be subsonic / super quiet. I always assumed it was to take up case volume.

HackerF15E
05-30-16, 19:55
MAXXTECH 9mm has the same shelf, but in steel case.

Gingerkid
05-30-16, 20:38
Top secret case developed for the secret special assault tier 0.01 unit.

Trouble maker moderator. Secret Agent Man!

markm
05-30-16, 22:57
My best guess is that the design is to eliminate the issue of bullet setback.

Could be. When I was retarded and carried 1911 pistols... I though about this kind of case to prevent the 1911's horrible feed angle/setback.

SeriousStudent
05-30-16, 23:02
Could be. When I was retarded and carried 1911 pistols... I though about this kind of case to prevent the 1911's horrible feed angle/setback.

WHAT?!?!? Blasphemy! That is God's pistol, mister!

:jester:

I'm really new to the reloading game, so any time I see anything unusual, I put it to the side and stop. It's just not worth any kind of risk, in my very humble opinion.

I am going to look even closer at the brass coming out of the tumbler now. I do gather a lot of range pickup stuff. Thanks for the food for thought.

LoboTBL
05-31-16, 00:32
WHAT?!?!? Blasphemy! That is God's pistol, mister!

:jester:

That may be true but God can just miracle his gun into functioning perfectly when everything goes to shit. Hell, I've got a few 1911s and I enjoy shooting them but it isn't the best option available for EDC, LE duty, combat or HD.

rjacobs
05-31-16, 10:26
Ive had TONS of those. I trash em. When you buy 50k pieces of 9mm brass at a time and pay 1-2c a piece, you get what you get.

SUPPOSEDLY(and I think I got this from the Brian Enos forum) those cases are made for, guess what, an ammoload machine. Supposedly(again second or third hand from somebody on BEnos) the ammoload machine can seat until a known pressure(on the machine that is) and when the bullet bottoms on the ridge, the machine stops seating. Its for consistent seating depth on that particular machine. I dont know, but it makes sense.

Its NOT to prevent bullet setback(although it SHOULD work for that purpose). Bullet setback in pistols isnt really an "issue" anyway. Yes it happens, but were not talking crazy pressures here. Guys have done testing on set back and I think they set back 9, 40 and 45 rounds until the bullet meplate was inside the mouth of the case and nothing crazy happened. I believe they used factory SD ammo(gold dots or HST or the like). Let me see if I can find the article.

Beef15
05-31-16, 18:23
Case volume remains about the same as I understand it. Many fail to realize 9mm cases taper internally and externally and get quite thick towards the case head. These just have a step instead of a gradual taper, it does create a stress point but I haven't made one fail yet. It'd take a very long bullet or very deep seating to hit it.

The dangers of set back depend a whole lot on the powder used.

SeriousStudent
05-31-16, 20:11
That may be true but God can just miracle his gun into functioning perfectly when everything goes to shit. Hell, I've got a few 1911s and I enjoy shooting them but it isn't the best option available for EDC, LE duty, combat or HD.

That "jester" icon indicates sarcasm or humor. Like, a joke. markm and I have been sharing them for some time.

Back to the thread.

tcoz
06-03-16, 13:04
I've reloaded many of those mixed in with my regular brass. No problems and no split cases.

T2C
06-03-16, 14:57
What is the case wall thickness at the mouth?

TomMcC
06-04-16, 10:27
I've used these along with the rest, never had a prob. But then I rarely pick up the exact same brass. Most of the time I pick up brass at 3guns, sometimes just my own brass at a family desert shoot. I'll continue to use them.

AR10TFn
06-25-16, 22:41
I always cull these cases from my reloading brass, I shoot in the glock matches and have talked with people that had a problem with these cases separating right at the shoulder and where it thins out, then the pistol extracts/ejects the partial case but leaves the separate part in the chamber.