PDA

View Full Version : LMT 16" & DD 7.0 lite rail. Will it work?

sewvacman
08-27-08, 18:22
Ok so I have an LMT 16" basic M4 and I had every intention of putting a 14-1/2" Noveske barrel on it but things ($$) have changed. I already have a DD 7.0 lite rail and a LaRue gas block drilled for taper pins. What I want to know is will the 7.0 rail cover enough of the gas tube so that it is not a liability, or should I sell it and go with the 9.0? I have torn rotator cuffs so every ounce I can save in the front of the rifle makes a huge difference all the way around but this is my SHTF gun as well and want/need it to be ultra reliable. Thanks in advance.

skyugo
08-27-08, 18:42
the LMT is a carbine length gas system right?

should be fine i would think. 9.0 rail is for a mid length gas system. as far as i know LMT does not currently produce a middy.

you are using a standard fixed front sight block?

edit-larue low pro block? hmm.. try it and see. i would think that only the gas block would be exposed. may look kind of weird.

sewvacman
08-27-08, 19:03
As far as I know it's a carbine length system, the gas block is lo-pro, no FSB. I will be using troy battle sights fr/rear. I really don't care if the gas block is the only thing exposed or what people think of how it looks as long as it keeps the weight down and is going to cover the gas tube. They don't look real sturdy.
I assume the 9.0 would completely cover the gas block, but with it pinned I don't think it will really matter if I had to throw it down.
I'm more concerned about the gas tube being exposed.

spamsammich
08-27-08, 21:13
Just go with the light 9 and shave weight elsewhere. I would not shorten the sight radius of my BUIS just to save weight, even if they are just for backup. Maybe just go without a VFG to save weight?

Solid
08-28-08, 00:37
Only the 9.0 will cover the gas block.

sewvacman
08-29-08, 17:53
I got an e-mail today from Joe Marler at Daniel Defense and he said it would be a nice setup and only about .125" of the gas tube would be exposed. Still debating it. It sure would make assembly easier though. Seems like a lot of hassle to cover up 1/8" of gas tube, but knowing me I'll probably go ahead and do it for my SHTF gun.
Does anyone know which rail would be easier to assemble with a pin on lo-pro gas block, LaRue or DD? Or no real difference?

sewvacman
08-29-08, 18:00
Maybe just go without a VFG to save weight?

Sometimes the VFG is the only way I can hold it up for an extended length of time, sometimes just the handgaurd works and the VFG is too weighty. I got a Quick release lever ergo so that I can change my can hold when I need to and lose weight quickly if necessary.