PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Sig SP2022 (9mm)?

Kdubya
05-31-16, 19:08
Anyone have experience with these? Looks to be about Glock 19ish size. I saw what appeared to be a good deal today and am considering a purchase. I'm a .45 guy, so this would currently be my only 9mm. I had a M&P 9c and sold it in favor of a Glock 30s. I don't necessarily miss the M&P, but do wish I still had a 9 for the range, especially for the wife; although she shoots the 30s fine. Price is $400 and it says it comes with Night Sights. Brand new from a reputable dealer. So, yay or nay, and why? TIA!

jstalford
05-31-16, 19:10
Retro SIG - the SP 2022

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Em4carbine%2Enet%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D180395&share_tid=180395&share_fid=11029&share_type=t

Grab it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kain
05-31-16, 19:12
Have shot them, and general concentious is that they are good guns. I know I liked the one that I shot and wished I had grabbed one when they were cheaper, says the guy who looked at one and ended up with my USP, or was it the P7, I can't recall.
Only downside that I can think of for the gun is that the mags are a bit more than other guns, and holsters are pretty much nonexistent. If it is only going to be a range shooter though then neither issue may be of concern for you.

MJLman
05-31-16, 19:36
I have the 2009. Essentially the same gun as the 2022. Great gun for the price. It ain't glock 19 sized in my opinion. Like most Sigs it is kind of large in grip (go hold a 2x4) and of course the height over bore issue is what would separate it from the glocks the most. As long as your good with size of it and it's intended purpose is as a range beater..... Go for it.
I personally should've waited till they got rid of the stupid propiatary rail in favor of the 1913 rail they all have now.

samuse
05-31-16, 20:03
They're bomb-proof and have super good triggers. I say they're more of a full size gun. They're bigger than a P229.

Kdubya
05-31-16, 20:27
Seems to be a pretty positive consensus. Thanks for the comments on the size. I was basing the G19 size comparison off of the capacity. Figured it had to be close. As a range gun the slightly large size wouldn't bother me so much. Thanks!

okie john
05-31-16, 22:48
Seems to be a pretty positive consensus. Thanks for the comments on the size. I was basing the G19 size comparison off of the capacity. Figured it had to be close. As a range gun the slightly large size wouldn't bother me so much. Thanks!

I had one for a while. Typical of SIG's best in pretty much every respect (accuracy, reliability, trigger pull, etc.) except for price and aftermarket support, but TDA is not my cup of tea so I sold it.

Okie John

tacticaldesire
05-31-16, 22:55
Solid guns. $400 looks like a decent price. You usually see the 9mm model run for about $500 new depending on where you look.

Holsters shouldn't be a problem. Blade Tech, 5.11, Galco, DeSantis, Black Hawk and others all make holsters. No, they aren't as common as other Sigs, Glocks, 1911's etc. but it's not like searching for a unicorn either. Selection isn't great but you should be able to find one to fit your needs should you desire a holster.

okie john
05-31-16, 23:08
Solid guns. $400 looks like a decent price. You usually see the 9mm model run for about $500 new depending on where you look.

Keep an eye peeled. Sometimes you can find them for $350-375 if you're patient.

Okie John

tacticaldesire
05-31-16, 23:40

Okie John

NIB w/Night Sights? Pretty impressive.

Kdubya
05-31-16, 23:43

Holsters shouldn't be a problem. Blade Tech, 5.11, Galco, DeSantis, Black Hawk and others all make holsters. No, they aren't as common as other Sigs, Glocks, 1911's etc. but it's not like searching for a unicorn either. Selection isn't great but you should be able to find one to fit your needs should you desire a holster.

I currently alternate between an AG Cloak 3.0 and an AG OWB. For the money they may be the best holsters out there. I got both for about $70 shipped in about a week. They make shells for about every firearm ever conceived. A quick look at their site and they make one for both the square and rounded trigger guard. I don't know if I'd actually carry it, but it's nice to know my current choice of holster brand has the 2022 covered.

Okie John

Will do. Again, it's not like I've been dying to have this particular handgun, but it's now on my radar. If I don't pull the trigger on this particular sale, I'll be sure to check in on the going rate from time to time. The fact that this one comes with night sights really impresses me for that price. I take MSRP with a grain of salt, but Sig lists the Night Sight model just shy of $600.

My most recent interest, prior to seeing the 2022 today, has been the CZ-P07. That one seems like it might be a more viable carry gun (due to the size), but both seem to have their merit as solid choices. Price is essentially a wash.

I kind of just hijacked my own thread by throwing the P07 in the mix, so I'd be okay with someone who wants to share an opinion of which they'd take over the other.

ritepath
06-01-16, 06:11
The CZ p-07 is closer to being 19 sized.

The 2022 is a nice gun, I've put plenty of rounds down the 2022 and 2040...great pistols for those that love SA/DA.

okie john
06-01-16, 09:35
NIB w/Night Sights? Pretty impressive.

Gunwatcher.com is your friend.

Okie John

m4brian
06-01-16, 17:20
Today PSA has the 2022 for $400. That's a go!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-p2022-9mm-with-night-sights.html?utm_source=Back%20in%20Stock&utm_medium=email

Yes it is a tad larger than the P07, but the trigger is better period. The P07 will need polishing or a bunch of breakin before it will get anywhere as good as the SP. don't get me wrong, it's s great gun, but not quite on the trigger. Also, SIG sights are better and more options. I do like the placement and function of the 07 decocker. It's only a tad smaller and the slide is plenty thick. I like the 2022 grip a little better as it fills the hand a little more without being too thick. No gun has as good a stippling job OTB as the 2022.

okie john
06-01-16, 17:54
Today PSA has the 2022 for $400. That's a go!

Yep.

Okie John

Kdubya
06-01-16, 20:19
That's exactly where I saw it. Didn't convince myself to go through with it though. Great deal. Which I'm sure they'll run again. They've been doing the Shield M&P 9mm for $329 every couple of weeks. I imagine the 2022 will be on a similar rotation. I love PSA. Their prices are consistently so good that it's hard to have a sense of urgency, lol.

operator81
06-01-16, 21:50
Flat basepads make it better. These are in stock now, they don't come around often: http://www.rocosystem.com/Sigsauersp2022baseplate/

m4brian
06-02-16, 07:24
Thanks!

brickboy240
06-02-16, 10:05
I borrowed my cousin's Sig Pro 9mm a few times. It is a good shooter that is reliable and pretty accurate. Larger than my usual carry G19, but smaller than a P226 or other full size "service" 9mm.

He paid around 375-400 at Academy for the thing and for 400 bucks, I think you'd be hard pressed to get a nicer full sized 9mm that is GTG right out of the box.

I already have two W. German SIGs, a P220 and P228 so my d/a-s/a SIG pistol fix is done...otherwise...yeah...I'd consider buying one. The thing had a decent trigger and put the bullets where I wanted them. Totally reliable, too.

okie john
06-02-16, 10:27
SNIP...think you'd be hard pressed to get a nicer full sized 9mm that is GTG right out of the box.

To me, this is the most important thing about the 2022--you can load it, confirm the zero, holster it, and move out. No need to fiddle with sights, stippling, springs, etc. It really is GTG out of the box. The only other semi-auto I've seen like that is the H&K VP series which is $2-300 more expensive. If you favor TDA, the 2022 is a screaming deal.

Okie John

m4brian
06-04-16, 08:03
To me, this is the most important thing about the 2022--you can load it, confirm the zero, holster it, and move out. No need to fiddle with sights, stippling, springs, etc. It really is GTG out of the box. The only other semi-auto I've seen like that is the H&K VP series which is $2-300 more expensive. If you favor TDA, the 2022 is a screaming deal.

Okie John

Very well said sir!

Angry Driver
06-04-16, 10:55
I have been kind of considering a 2022 myself for awhile, even though it would only be a range toy for me. I saw it listed on PSA the other day and have been thinking about it since. Even though PSA took it off the daily deal, it's still available at the same price. Not that I'm trying to tempt you, just letting you know. I'm debating if I should hold off and see if it gets any cheaper, or free shipping or anything.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-p2022-9mm-with-night-sights.html

Kdubya
06-04-16, 12:01
That's where I saw it as well; in one of the Daily Deal emails. It actually doesn't surprise me that it's still on sale. They've had Speer GD 55gr and 62gr on sale for $9.99 for a couple of months. They tend to let the Daily Deals go on for much longer than advertised. I'm still considering it. But, there's an outside chance the 9mm I purchase could become my Wife's carry gun. So, I'm still giving some other options a look that would be better for that purpose. I'll continue to keep the 2022 on the radar. Still seems like a lot of gun for the money.

GregP220
06-04-16, 14:13
I would certainly own an SP 2022 if they only shared magazines with either the 229 or 226. I already own a couple 226s and I don't feel like buying into a new setup.

Like the CZ P-07, it is sort of unknown and therefore available for a very good price. The 2 tone one is flat-out cool :cool:

Angry Driver
06-04-16, 14:46
That's where I saw it as well; in one of the Daily Deal emails. It actually doesn't surprise me that it's still on sale. They've had Speer GD 55gr and 62gr on sale for $9.99 for a couple of months. They tend to let the Daily Deals go on for much longer than advertised. I'm still considering it. But, there's an outside chance the 9mm I purchase could become my Wife's carry gun. So, I'm still giving some other options a look that would be better for that purpose. I'll continue to keep the 2022 on the radar. Still seems like a lot of gun for the money.
Definitely a lot of gun for the money. Would be $437 picked up from my FFL. I keep debating on it, and wondering if I should hold off and see if they go on sale anywhere in a month.

I would certainly own an SP 2022 if they only shared magazines with either the 229 or 226. I already own a couple 226s and I don't feel like buying into a new setup.

Like the CZ P-07, it is sort of unknown and therefore available for a very good price. The 2 tone one is flat-out cool :cool:

Understandable about the mags, and too bad they don't share. I don't own any Sigs and never have, so for me, I'd be starting fresh anyway.

However, I do have 3 CZ P-07s. Great guns! Yes, that 2-tone FDE is neat! Just picked up a 2-tone FDE P-07 like that!

m4brian
06-11-16, 11:39
Some say that the SP 2022 is a bit too chunky and/or heavy for carry. Take a look at a comparison with the Walther P99, widely held to be a good mid-size carry gun:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/d7b153dffc059162fe7d94b1738a359e5c1df97.JPG

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/5ee253cd3df0c04a9076c421becf9396822c70f.jpg

As you can see it is NOT thick. (Of course I have the small base plates). The thickest part is at the top of the grip, and that helps reduce felt recoil. Sure its a bit heavier than the P99, which is Glock-light, but a tad lighter than the P229, and thinner and without the hump.

And of course, it has the best OTB DA trigger of any gun I've felt, and the best grip texturing to boot.

If SIG marketed the SPC, I'd by a couple more.

As stated earlier (in other words), they are the best OTB gun available. Accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, perfect stippling, night sights (and plenty of choices), decent size, and now magazine availability is good.

I went full circle coming back to DA/SA. Looked at Beretta, but models drive you to $950, and still the size was a tad big. CZ was close with the P07, but the trigger is not quite as good, and the sights are just OK. I also like the slide on the SP2022 a tad better. Then SIG. There the SP shined because of the OTB trigger. Every time I'm in a shop the SP feels better than the P series. (Minus the Legion, but that is another game).

noonesshowmonkey
06-11-16, 12:34
For a Double Action / Single Action pistol, they are hard to beat at any price in that range. Great trigger, works perfectly out of the box, accurate as all hell. You can't get a TDA polymer pistol that is as good for that price, except maybe the P-07, and even then, the SP2022 is probably nicer straight out of the box. Get a Blade-tech holster and be done with it. Great buy. The SP2022, the P-07 and the Glock 19 are kind of the end of the story for polymer pistols in terms of value. Toss a Walther P99/PPQ in that list for a few dollars more, I guess.

For $400 with night sights, you can't go wrong.

As other users have noted, they are duty-ready out of the box. Hard to say that about anything else in that profile / price.

m4brian
06-11-16, 12:51
I am about to go with Alien Gear - anything wrong there?

Angry Driver
06-11-16, 13:30
Some say that the SP 2022 is a bit too chunky and/or heavy for carry. Take a look at a comparison with the Walther P99, widely held to be a good mid-size carry gun:

[img]

[img]

As you can see it is NOT thick. (Of course I have the small base plates). The thickest part is at the top of the grip, and that helps reduce felt recoil. Sure its a bit heavier than the P99, which is Glock-light, but a tad lighter than the P229, and thinner and without the hump.

And of course, it has the best OTB DA trigger of any gun I've felt, and the best grip texturing to boot.

If SIG marketed the SPC, I'd by a couple more.

As stated earlier (in other words), they are the best OTB gun available. Accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, perfect stippling, night sights (and plenty of choices), decent size, and now magazine availability is good.

I went full circle coming back to DA/SA. Looked at Beretta, but models drive you to $950, and still the size was a tad big. CZ was close with the P07, but the trigger is not quite as good, and the sights are just OK. I also like the slide on the P07 a tad better. Then SIG. There the SP shined because of the OTB trigger. Every time I'm in a shop the SP feels better than the P series. (Minus the Legion, but that is another game).
Thanks for the pics, and good points.

For a Double Action / Single Action pistol, they are hard to beat at any price in that range. Great trigger, works perfectly out of the box, accurate as all hell. You can't get a TDA polymer pistol that is as good for that price, except maybe the P-07, and even then, the SP2022 is probably nicer straight out of the box. Get a Blade-tech holster and be done with it. Great buy. The SP2022, the P-07 and the Glock 19 are kind of the end of the story for polymer pistols in terms of value. Toss a Walther P99/PPQ in that list for a few dollars more, I guess.

For $400 with night sights, you can't go wrong.

As other users have noted, they are duty-ready out of the box. Hard to say that about anything else in that profile / price.
Good points. I'm still thinking about one, just wondering if they will get any cheaper in the immediate future. July 4th, etc.

I have a few of the IWB 3.0's for various guns, I've been pretty happy with them.

Kdubya
06-11-16, 13:34

I have an AG for my G30s. I've been very pleased. Solid construction, adjustable retention, ride and cant, and a tremendous value. I think I got an IWB and OWB for under $70 shipped. Free shell swaps for life, lifetime warranty, 30 day money back guarantee, and quick turnaround time. Make sure to check that the screws are torqued properly when you get it, but that's advice if give for just about any holster. The Cloak 3.0 is very versatile and super comfortable. I highly recommend them.

Gary1911A1
06-12-16, 09:07
Darn it m4brian. Your pictures alone got me to sign up on Palmetto wait list for one. Hope the price stays the same. If not I did find this and it does look good in FDE.
https://grabagun.com/sig-e2022pfde-2022-9mm-dasa-fde.html

Evel Baldgui
06-12-16, 09:11
I have an associate whose been EDC the 2022 for several years, has put it to very good use and despite trying other pistols, always went back to the 2022, just works for him.

Angry Driver
06-12-16, 09:25
Darn it m4brian. Your pictures alone got me to sign up on Palmetto wait list for one. Hope the price stays the same. If not I did find this and it does look good in FDE.
https://grabagun.com/sig-e2022pfde-2022-9mm-dasa-fde.html

Oh wow, didn't know it had gone out of stock at PSA.

m4brian
06-12-16, 15:38
I got mine on a pretty good deal on GB. Came with 5 mags - a special deal that I don't think the dealer repeated. I can get LE price also, but not on an FDE. The slide is a shade darker on the FDE, almost a copper tone to it and nitrided - its not cerakote. I actually carried it in church today under a blazer in the el cheapo SIG paddle holster - worked fine. The thin mag bases do help.

I'd LIKE a P229 with SRT. However, when I compare the overall gun and function, I almost cannot justify the additional $400. Sure, the feel of the P series is more 'satisfying' but I cannot say more ergonomic. Also, unless you go with the Legion, the SP trigger in DA will be better OTB. Hard to argue for the P series to me. I had a P226 WG, but hastily got rid of it, because of the DA/SA and getting used to it. This gun is converting me, and of course the trigger is better. I also feel like the sight line up easier. WIth the P 226 I just felt like the gun was higher in the hand. Notice I said felt. I don't feel this way at all with the SP and I don't know exactly why. Bore axis and slide height is not that much different. I do know that if I was issued this for a duty weapon, I'd be very happy.

mag318
06-12-16, 19:40
Some people refer to the SP2022 as the stealth Sig, and that is because it has been constantly overshadowed by the rest of the Sig product line. I bought one a few years ago and like it so much I recently bought another. For the price point you have a Sig that shoots and handles just as well as it's more expensive siblings. IMO you can't go wrong with one of these.

m4brian
06-12-16, 20:30
But when will Mrgunsngear review this thing?

Five_Point_Five_Six
06-12-16, 22:37
I've owned two for about 5 years, both are 100% Exeter NH built guns. I can't say enough good things about them. Yeah it's bigger than a Glock 19 and holds the same amount of ammo blah blah blah. Both of mine have incredibly smooth triggers. Both are extremely accurate, and neither have given me any problems. Despite the higher bore axis, it's an extremely soft shooting pistol that seems to return back on target better than most other pistols. Yeah holster selection kinda sucks but it's waaaay better now than when I bought my first one. Tony Mayer of JM Custom Kydex makes holsters for them and his lineup has everything I'll ever need for holsters so it's no longer an issue. I take the pinky finger mag extension off with a belt sander, I refuse to buy the flat base pads when it takes about 15 seconds to grind them flat. They're slightly bigger than a P229, and slightly smaller than a P226. They aren't that light for a polymer framed gun, but with a belt made for daily carry the weight has never bothered me. The slide stop will give you fits not locking back on the last round until you get used to it. I roll my strong hand thumb over my weak hand thumb to eliminate that, and now I shoot all handguns like that. I have the Siglite night sights on mine, and I paint the front sight with neon orange paint and subdue the rear dots with a black sharpie. Poor man's Trijicon HD's if you will. If you're looking for solid performer DA/SA that won't break the bank, I don't think you'll do better than the SP2022.

w3453l
06-21-16, 18:06
Are there any SP2022's to avoid?

Location of manufacture? Or serial number range?

I've never had strong interest for Sigs; I've shot them and I do have an appreciation for them, but other brands at comparable prices worked better for me.

Someone I know was asking about a really good, but really cheap gun to buy. The SP 2022 is still for sale in CA, and seams like it would be something worth considering. I just want to know if there's something to pay attention to when grabbing one at a LGS.

The other plus of the SP 2022 in CA is that it's one of the few options for a non-CA neutered pistol.

m4brian
06-21-16, 18:26
Avoid: No. When I investigated them, I really couldn't find problems - even when SIG had issues a few years ago, they generally did not. Not long ago SIGs got slammed on this site - trust me. Some people think a German model is superior - not. They are all made in Exeter now, and have been running great. They share all the superb attributes of a good SIG AND they are a tad lighter, and VERY robust. They are really not a cheap version of a SIG. They are ready for combat OTB, and excellent fit and finish. Mine has several hundred rounds through it and the barrel looks new - no smile, just a tiny nick from a stray piece of brass. And, the barrel lockup is seriously tight, and likely the tightest I've seen. Superb fit/finish. The FDE model is the only SIG FDE model that uses a Nitride FDE. It was designed/made in the late 90s for Mil/LE when they wanted polymer, so they overbuilt it, and we get the bennies - hence the low price.

Not too many good videos out there. None from Mrgunsngear or MAC. Sootch00 has one that isn't bad. For no explained reason, the famous Nuttinfancy doesn't allow it to be a "go to war" pistol. BTW - the Tank Automotive Command didn't issue this to US Army Tank Divisions, LOL. (Although it would make a great service pistol). But it was fielded at a quarter of a million strong to the French National Police and 5,000 to TACOM. Not a bad start.

I DO wish that they sold the compact model (only seen in Europe) and that SIG sold the flat mag bases.

Buy with confidence.

w3453l
06-22-16, 19:07
Thanks that was helpful. I'll pass the info along. A few family members keep asking for help buying a good pistol, but everything I recommend is either too expensive, or they aren't fans of striker fired action.

I'm becoming more and more tempted to get one for myself even.

m4brian
06-22-16, 20:52
There ARE some good hammer fired options out there that are reliable, accurate, and affordable. But none have the same excellent DA pull. And you have to ask yourself, in a DA/SA gun what is the most important shot? Just sayin.