PDA

View Full Version : Very poor customer service experience with G-code (tacticalholsters.com)

gunf1ghter
05-31-16, 20:20
I just wanted to take a moment to share a recent experience with Tactical Holsters. I have five of their holsters along with other items (belts, magazine holsters, etc).

A few months ago I ordered a custom Incog IWB shadow holster for a Glock 19 MOS that has a Trijicon RDS on it. Back and forth communication email and pictures sent and after a month or so the holster shows up and is perfect, I love it.

I decide that I want one of their OWB holsters for the same weapon and send in a new order along with the same photos from the first build. They confirm receipt of photos and the weeks start ticking by (I get it, they are popular and backed up).

Holster shows up just before memorial day, around 8 weeks after I order it. The fit on this holster is "off" with the same Glock that fits the IWB fine. One of the first things I do is warm the holster up with a hair dryer and put the weapon in to see if it will loosen up and fit better. That doesn't fix it.

After some more trial and error I realize that the top of the holster is rubbing on the taller Trijicon suppressor height sights. On my IWB holster they built it tall to clear the suppressor sights, but on this sight they just built it for regular height sights. When the weapon is holstered it is hanging up a bit at the top and rubbing enough that when the weapon is pulled out there is some kydex dust on the front iron.

So I email Tactical Holsters about this and ask what can be done, I mention that I had tried to improve the fit by warming up the shell and in the response from them they indicate "you modified the holster by your own admission and your warranty is void, we can't make exceptions in this area, sorry".

I get it, they have a business to run and have a strict warranty policy, but I was a bit surprised about this, and it's a bit poor (IMO) considering I have spent something like $600 on their stuff in just the last 2 years alone.

Anyway, heads up for anyone else who does a custom order with them. I will meanwhile see if a local guy can salvage the holster shell and modify it to work with my weapon, otherwise $85 pissed away on this order.

HKGuns
05-31-16, 20:47
I get it is sort of custom, but I wouldn't have waited 8 weeks for a kydex holster, even if it were made of unicorn horn.

Custom leather yes, kydex, to me, are made seemingly by everyone.

I don't see a ton of differentiation between all of these Kydex makers.

gunf1ghter
05-31-16, 21:17
Well, I couldn't find anyone that would do an RDS + XC1 ... I tried to get blade tech to do it but they declined. Local guys all wanted well over $100. Lesson learned.

HKGuns
05-31-16, 23:38
Yep, I missed the RDS part, more custom than I thought. I will usually pay more for locals.

Uprange41
05-31-16, 23:57
Well, I couldn't find anyone that would do an RDS + XC1 ... I tried to get blade tech to do it but they declined. Local guys all wanted well over $100. Lesson learned.

http://trholsters.com

They do 19 holsters for RMR + XC1.

gunf1ghter
06-01-16, 08:18
Thanks for the info. I think that I will probably have to find someone local this time. It's a shame because I really like my g-code holsters.

gunf1ghter
06-03-16, 00:29
Local shop sorted the holster for me and concurred it was never going to fit the weapon properly the way it was set up. They cleared the channel for the forward sight and fixed a couple of other minor things that were causing it to hang up. Cost, $15, which is probably not much more than it would have cost to ship it to g-code and have them fart around with it for a month.

wahoo95
06-03-16, 06:35
You really expected them to refund or exchange your hokster after you modified it rather than allow them to deal with the issue???

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

gunf1ghter
06-03-16, 09:32
You really expected them to refund or exchange your hokster after you modified it rather than allow them to deal with the issue???

You really consider warming the holster up with a hair dryer to try to improve the fit to be modification? By that standard leaving it sitting on a car dash in the sun for an hour is also modification.

wahoo95
06-03-16, 09:43
You really consider warming the holster up with a hair dryer to try to improve the fit to be modification? By that standard leaving it sitting on a car dash in the sun for an hour is also modification.
Yes, considering they are heat molded. Anyone who's ever made one knows that a little heat applied improperly can change the holster which is why it's considered a modification and best left to the maker if you're wanting warranty service. You wouldn't do a little filing on your gun and expect the manufacturer to still warranty it would you?

Benito
06-03-16, 19:12
I love my G-Code stuff. I would have contacted them about the holster fit first before trying to do DIY mods. I sent them back a SOC bolster because the fit was off and they have me a new one - even though as it turned out it was not fitting because of the safety/cotter pin holding the battery compartment on my X300 (not necessary when mounted on a pistol since the trigger guard prevents it from opening).
My experience with their CS was fantastic.

There are other good options out there too, of course. Off The Grid Concepts is great. But either way
you'll be waiting close to 2-3 months for custom holsters.

ruchik
06-03-16, 20:42
Yes, that's a modification. If the holster melted into a pool of kydex when sitting on a car dash, that's a defect. If you tried to alter it in any way yourself, that's user modification.

G-Code states very clearly: "If there is a manufacturing defect, we will work with you to correct the problem in a timely manner." If you did not attempt to contact them to ask them to honor their warranty BEFORE you tried to fix the problem yourself, G-Code has no way of knowing if the issue existed before or after you received the product, only your word. I understand your frustration, but they have to stick by their policy. Otherwise, they'd have to make exceptions for everyone, to be fair.

Eurodriver
06-03-16, 23:29
Similar experiences with G code. "Oh you modified it", "We don't service that combination." I even offered to send them the light to make a mold and the guy said "We're too busy for that." I thought G code was the real deal from what I read on forums. Now I can't understand why anyone would give them any money under any circumstances.

I can't tell if they are just full of themselves or genuinely so busy they don't care about my business. Either way, they obviously wont miss my business.

I use OTGHEX for my complicated kydex holsters now. Dude can make anything and has it all. I have an RMR with an x400v and he has made me an OWB and IWB version.

PS **** G Code

Endur
06-04-16, 08:11
Check out OTG and Liion Defense. Excellent CS and quick lead times. I got a custom holster from OTG in about three weeks and a custom mag + light combo holster from Liion Defense in about three weeks as well even with sending my light to them.