PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angels crash in Smyrna Tn

C-grunt
06-02-16, 15:57
Just saw this on Facebook. No report of injuries yet.

http://wkrn.com/2016/06/02/lifeflight-responding-to-blue-angel-plane-crash-in-smyrna/

SMYRNA, Tenn. (WKRN) – A pilot was killed after a U.S. Navy Blue Angels jet crashed Thursday afternoon in Smyrna ahead of the Great Tennessee Airshow this weekend.

The F/A-18 Hornet crashed at 3 p.m. behind the Sam Davis Home, about 2 miles from the runway, while practicing for the now-cancelled demonstration. Authorities arrived within minutes.

The U.S. Navy confirmed the pilot died in the crash. While military officials have not identified the pilot, the Associated Press said it is Marine Capt. Jeff Kuss.

Alex V
06-02-16, 16:00
Looks like 1 person is dead. Not sure if pilot or not.

Firefly
06-02-16, 16:46
That's really sad and depressing.

WickedWillis
06-02-16, 16:47
Is it true this is after the Thunderbird reportedly crashed today?

SteyrAUG
06-02-16, 17:20
One Navy pilot dead.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/06/02/navy-blue-angel-jet-crashes-smyrna/85308972/

Damn.

TAZ
06-02-16, 17:30
Is it true this is after the Thunderbird reportedly crashed today?

Yes. No injuries reported for the TBird crash. Odd to say the least.

Vandal
06-02-16, 18:05
The T-Birds and Blue Angels are flying some old aircraft. Granted they are well maintained but occasionally things break. F-16s become a big lawn dart when the engine stops. If the engine(s) go out, as is currently being reported, on take off or landing it gets ugly fast. RIP to the Navy pilot, at least he went out living his dream.

HKGuns
06-02-16, 18:23
RIP to the Navy pilot, at least he went out living his dream.

Yes, RIP to the Navy pilot but going out living your dream is precious little comfort for what is likely a young family on the home front.

Firefly
06-02-16, 18:49
Yes, RIP to the Navy pilot but going out living your dream is precious little comfort for what is likely a young family on the home front.

This. If he was single, hell yeah go out with a bang living the dream, but I'm sure his kids would rather have their father

SteyrAUG
06-02-16, 22:35

Of course, I think that goes without saying. I think the sentiment was there are far worse ways to die, especially young. Let's take some of the worst disasters like Challenger and Columbia. As catastrophic as those were, I'd rather lose a loved one who "dared mighty things" than watch them die of cancer.

There is no good aspect of death, but there is less horrible.

Hank6046
06-02-16, 22:41
Marine Capt. Jeff Kuss

RIP and Semper Fidelis

Out of my 5+ years in the Corps, 80% of the time was in Aviation Safety, I was on the 13th MEU when we lost a Harrier (luckly Pilot ejected safely) but it was a gut wrenching feeling to know that your slip up might have cost a life. While never having dealt with the Blue Angels or F-18's I can tell you that the parts and people they pick to ensure proper maintenance and operation are second to none. I work with a former Power Plants (engines) guy whom was a Blue Angels mechanic for 6 yrs in the Navy, he is the currently the head of Hazard Analysis for the Engineering company I now work for and is top notch. The unfortunate thing is that when analyzing the incident you will find it is a 'Swiss Cheese effect" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_model, which is extremely hard to figure out after total loss of the Aircraft and Pilot. I wish the family of the Marine my condolences and only hope that the Pilots death will lead to a better understanding of potential failures and thus lead to a better under standing of a how to prevent this from future occurrences.

tb-av
06-02-16, 23:01
A Thunderbird crashed as well... he made it out though.

HKGuns
06-02-16, 23:14
Of course, I think that goes without saying. I think the sentiment was there are far worse ways to die, especially young. Let's take some of the worst disasters like Challenger and Columbia. As catastrophic as those were, I'd rather lose a loved one who "dared mighty things" than watch them die of cancer.

There is no good aspect of death, but there is less horrible.

For me it's personal, my father died, not long ago, in an accident, doing what he loved. When people said that to me it made matters worse.

But I get your point.

SteyrAUG
06-03-16, 00:25
For me it's personal, my father died, not long ago, in an accident, doing what he loved. When people said that to me it made matters worse.

But I get your point.

People never know what to say when somebody dies, and honestly there really isn't anything that can be said, certainly nothing that makes death acceptable let alone something we are supposed to feel better about.

It's like when religious people come around and say "It's Gods plan", "He's in a better place" or "He's hunting in heaven now." It makes them feel better to believe that, but they usually have no idea what you feel about it and sometimes what they say is actually insulting or offensive and you have to listen to it and then say "thanks" on top of it.

Even if I actually believed any of that stuff I'd still be compelled to say "If God's plan is to have my loved one suffer a lingering death, then that's a really shitty plan." But you can't say that so you pretend it gives you comfort and realize they have no real clue.

There is absolutely nothing that is going to make you feel better about your father dying, especially if you feel he got shorted on time. I'm right there with you, lost my Dad and it wasn't too long ago and I'm still not "ok" about it. Perhaps I'd be slightly better with it if he died in a deer stand on a beautiful day doing what he loved. But even if that happened, I'd probably just feel like he died alone and would probably feel horrible about that. Even if I was with him, then I'd probably blame myself for not being able to save him somehow.

There just isn't any good way to lose somebody you actually care about. No part of it is acceptable. But that is probably the reason people try and look for something positive, usually they mean well.

Moose-Knuckle
06-03-16, 01:58
Are the USN Blue Angles and the USAF Thunderbirds not getting the funds to maintain their planes, like the USMC F-18s?

I can't recall a time that both units lost birds in the same freaking day, weird for sure.

chuckman
06-03-16, 07:53
Fair winds and following seas, Captain.

Per his grandfather: "It's hard to put into words right now, but it's beautiful that a person can live and die engaged in their life's pursuits."

Two F-18s collided off NC last week, a Harrier went down off NC a week or so before that. Not a good stretch for military aviation.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-03-16, 08:11
I'm going to assume that since it sounds like it went down around houses that the pilot rode it in to prevent civilian deaths.

Skyyr
06-03-16, 10:07
I'm going to assume that since it sounds like it went down around houses that the pilot rode it in to prevent civilian deaths.

The crash happened about 10 minutes from my work. We saw them flying just minutes before the crash (even took video of it on our cell phones). Local witnesses say he was headed right at an apartment complex, and he banked to avoid it instead of ejecting.

HackerF15E
06-03-16, 23:30

Rarely, if ever, is this actually a consideration when fighters -- or any other aircraft -- crash.

Pilots try and fly the airplane to save it right up until the point of impact. The leading cause of failed ejections is "delayed decision to eject" -- e.g., they were so busy trying to solve the problem and were hesitant to pull the ejection handles because it means giving up on the possibility of saving the jet.

I know why people would love to believe the heroic act of saving innocent lives on the ground, but that's just not what is going through a pilot's mind in the seconds leading up to impact.

dwhitehorne
06-04-16, 06:10
I know why people would love to believe the heroic act of saving innocent lives on the ground, but that's just not what is going through a pilot's mind in the seconds leading up to impact.

This is probably true for many "Hero" type stories but it helps us feel better when dealing with a loss. In reality no one will ever know what was going through his head. It this point is it just sad that they are gone. David

Skyyr
06-07-16, 11:53
I was talking to one of the local pilots flying out of Smyrna who was coming in for a landing right after the crash. I'm a pilot and this guy is currently flying/training out of Smyrna, so we were discussing his training and he mentioned he basically flew over the impact area, as he was in the air when the crash happened and he landed shortly thereafter. When he landed, he talked to some of the flightline guys who were helping out with the preparation for the airshow.

Apparently, the plane was already having problems on the ground (supposedly hydraulic), but the flight went on anyway. They said the aircraft appeared to have an engine failure, and the pilot started maneuvering for an emergency landing. Additionally, they said Cpt. Kuss did eject, but the aircraft's orientation was too steep or the altitude was too low - in either case, he ejected but was killed from the impact.

I can't speak to the accuracy, but I know 100% this guy was flying in the immediate area when the crash happened.

Pilot1
06-07-16, 12:55
I was talking to one of the local pilots flying out of Smyrna who was coming in for a landing right after the crash. I'm a pilot and this guy is currently flying/training out of Smyrna, so we were discussing his training and he mentioned he basically flew over the impact area, as he was in the air when the crash happened and he landed shortly thereafter. When he landed, he talked to some of the flightline guys who were helping out with the preparation for the airshow.

Apparently, the plane was already having problems on the ground (supposedly hydraulic), but the flight went on anyway.

I can't speak to the accuracy, but I know 100% this guy was flying in the immediate area when the crash happened.

If that is true, which I highly doubt, then that is gross negligence on the part of the maintenance team. If that aircraft was having hydraulic problems, it is UNAIRWORTHY, and needs to be grounded until repaired and signed off. Don't the Blues have a back up plane? I know they having a two seater. If that plane were unairworthy they needed to sub or scrub.

Eurodriver
06-07-16, 13:34
If that is true, which I highly doubt, then that is gross negligence on the part of the maintenance team. If that aircraft was having hydraulic problems, it is UNAIRWORTHY, and needs to be grounded until repaired and signed off. Don't the Blues have a back up plane? I know they having a two seater. If that plane were unairworthy they needed to sub or scrub.

Probably have gotten away with it a million times.

Groupthink gets people killed - remember Challenger? They had launched near those temps before - even had recorded instances of O-ring blowby yet never had a failure so they went on as scheduled.

Ryno12
06-07-16, 14:56
I've seen in mentioned a few times in documentaries & in some articles that the demonstration planes are comprised of older jets that are no longer fit for combat & that they often built from cannibalized parts taken from other planes. Basically bottom of the barrel equipment that's painted nice. If true, I'm sure the maintenance guys have their hands full.

Moose-Knuckle
06-09-16, 02:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2wChD28w9U

chuckman
06-09-16, 07:28
I've seen in mentioned a few times in documentaries & in some articles that the demonstration planes are comprised of older jets that are no longer fit for combat & that they often built from cannibalized parts taken from other planes. Basically bottom of the barrel equipment that's painted nice. If true, I'm sure the maintenance guys have their hands full.

They are legacy planes, usually first or second generation. But the problem isn't something that wasn't around when they were flying A4s, F4s, or any other type...they got the oldest version while the newest ones went to the fleet, and did alright.

The issue with the F18s isn't the availability of parts per se, apparently the parts are out there (either at the manufacturer or at the boneyard), but that they are not budgeted, which makes it more of a travesty.