PDA

View Full Version : 3 Dead 6 missing @ Fort Hood

Averageman
06-02-16, 18:54
http://www.aol.com/article/2016/06/02/three-soldiers-killed-after-army-truck-overturns-in-texas-creek/21388598/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D72008073_htmlws-sb-bb

Three soldiers were killed and six are missing after their U.S. Army truck overturned on Thursday while crossing a creek at Fort Hood, Texas, the Army said.
The bodies of the three soldiers have been recovered and a search for the six who are missing is ongoing, the Army said in a statement. Three soldiers were rescued from the water and are in stable condition at a hospital.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/03/us/3-fort-hood-soldiers-dead-and-6-missing-in-texas-floods.html?_r=0

Three soldiers were rescued and were in stable condition at Coryell Memorial Healthcare System in Gatesville.
Army aircraft, canine search teams, swift-water rescue watercraft and heavy trucks were being used in the search for the six missing soldiers. The Army did not release the names of the dead because it was still notifying relatives.
John Miller, a Fort Hood spokesman, said the low-water creek crossing was flooded by two days of heavy, intermittent rain when the truck, a Light Medium Tactical Vehicle, was washed off the road by the swiftly moving water.

Firefly
06-02-16, 19:19
Today is turning out bad.
Those poor guys.

We wake up everyday thinking "ho hum SSDD".
No. Once you leave your bed, anything can happen.

Averageman
06-02-16, 19:22
This was likely the Cowhouse Creek and it wasn't the first time this has happened.
That water goes from ankle deep to white water in fifteen minutes when we get a hard rain.
Ever seen water come in through the TC's hatch of a Bradley?

Sam
06-02-16, 19:42
Add a Thunderbird crash in Colorado and a Blue Angel crash in Tennessee, one dead pilot.

Bad day indeed.

sevenhelmet
06-02-16, 19:48
Somebody once told me bad things happen in threes... this is getting scary.

Prayers for all affected by the tragedies across the military today.

SeriousStudent
06-02-16, 19:56
Prayers sent for all the fallen warriors. What a terrible day. :(

Endur
06-03-16, 00:44
R.I.P. brothers.

That stuff happens at Hood quite a bit. I remember some years back when I was there a Bradley got washed away by a crossing. Some of those creeks get deep as h*ll there. One time we crossed one and the water was drivers hatch high going through it. I got soaked that day.

Moose-Knuckle
06-03-16, 02:00
Just FYI we are having devastating floods in TX, especially Central TX.

Averageman
06-03-16, 07:39
Just FYI we are having devastating floods in TX, especially Central TX.

In case you haven't seen Fort Hood, one of the major crossing points between North Fort and South Fort the low water crossing point which is normally used is twenty feet below the old bridge which to the best of my knowledge has never been capable of carrying the weight of even an up armored Humvee and which has been condemned for a number of years.
North Fort is where a great deal of the Artillery gunnery and maneuver training happens. The low water crossing point when flooded requires the decision to turn around and add about an hour and a half on to your trip by rerouting around the entire North Fort Training Area.

Moose-Knuckle
06-04-16, 00:24
In case you haven't seen Fort Hood, one of the major crossing points between North Fort and South Fort the low water crossing point which is normally used is twenty feet below the old bridge which to the best of my knowledge has never been capable of carrying the weight of even an up armored Humvee and which has been condemned for a number of years.
North Fort is where a great deal of the Artillery gunnery and maneuver training happens. The low water crossing point when flooded requires the decision to turn around and add about an hour and a half on to your trip by rerouting around the entire North Fort Training Area.

"Turn around don't drown" is a slogan running by the state down here because so many people are drowning after they thought they could drive through high water. Add an hour plus to your route or die. In the county I grew up in they arrested a guy yesterday for ignoring the signs and putting first responders in harms way.