PDA

View Full Version : I am officially old now

Hammered_Pair
06-02-16, 21:45
I realized I am seeing A2 builds in retro forums more now, I am old.

June 6th is 27 years ago I reported for Basic and qualified there with the M16A1 which is also what I was issued until mid 1991 when we switched over to A2's, when I got out we were issued M4's.

I sat down with my latest project and realized that in the last 10 years even that the AR platform has seen so much evolution that some are barely recognizable as AR15's anymore.

Good time to be a gun owner.

556BlackRifle
06-03-16, 00:54
You're not old. Neither am I and I went through Basic WAY before you did. :cool:

Duffy
06-03-16, 08:23
So light and nimble, and sporting the classic good looks nobody can ignore :dirol:

Compared to the AR I shoot all the time, and a test bed for prototypes, though this A1 retro is long, it handles better by virtue of its light weight.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/001_zpsiks3lerq.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/001_zpsiks3lerq.jpg.html)

austinN4
06-03-16, 08:52
June 6th is 27 years ago I reported for Basic and qualified there with the M16A1 which is also what I was issued until mid 1991 when we switched over to A2's, when I got out we were issued M4's.

LOL! I did Army basic with a M14, that's how old I am!

New Centurion
06-03-16, 08:57
Since we're reminiscing: I was one month into Basic exactly 30yrs ago, we still had some Nam era A1's with 3-prong flash hiders issued from the armory. A few of us thought that was cool and wished we had them.

The real deal old timers* won't be impressed by this, but with changes looming on the horizon at that time my claim to fame has always been that I got my pistol badge with a .45, did he vehicle course in a Jeep, and shaved out of a steel pot. All gone by the wayside, along with Ft. McClellan.

*Edited to add: real deal old timers like austinN4!

wingspar
06-03-16, 15:15
It was 51 years ago that the Army tried to draft me. I flunked my physical. Deaf in one ear. I could not even voluntarily join, but 51 years ago. Now That’s a couple of years ago, but I’ll bet there are some on this forum that would like to be my age of 70 again. I know I’d like to go back to 60.

LoboTBL
06-03-16, 15:38
Very nice. It was 32 years ago that I reported to basic and trained with an M16A1. I was issued one when I got to Ft. Campbell, KY. It was made by the Hydramatic Div of GM (sn 3202286) and I still have my old weapon card. I didn't handle an A2 until I was issued one in W. Germany in 1987.

I'm thinking of building an A2 clone now also. So far I've got an upper, an original stock, and some original A2 handguards.

dusterdude
06-03-16, 17:43
36 years ago come august for me

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
06-03-16, 17:58
You guys are old.

.46caliber
06-03-16, 18:13
You guys are old.

No kidding. They start discussing AARs of prostate exams or the merits of fiber supplements, I'm out.

3 AE
06-03-16, 18:19
You guys are old.

No, they're just "Well Seasoned"! ;)

If somebody here chimes in that they trained with the "M1 Garand" or "M1903 Springfield" during basic training, now that's OLD! That's damn near prehistoric, but very, very cool! :cool:

Renegade04
06-03-16, 19:01
I received my first M16A1 in 1978, compliments of the United States Marine Corps. It was not until 1995 that I got to shoot the M16A2 (when I went into the Air Force Reserve). The A2s are, according to most retro guys, not a "true" retro yet. Anything retro typically refers to any M16 up to the M16A1. It also includes most of the carbines, including the Model 727. In the commercial world, a retro can include an AR with a slickside upper, A1 upper, C7 (A1E1) upper, and, in some cases, an A2 upper (as in the Colt AR15 A2 Sporter II). They can have either an A1 profile slabside, partial fence, or full-fence lower and , in some cases, an A2 lower. I have a multitude of retro ARs that I built and a few commercial ones. The A2s are a retro of sort, but many hardcore retro AR guys are yet to receive them as such. Here are just a few of my retro ARs.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Retro%20AR%20Family/002_zps53eseyyk.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/Retro%20ARs/Retro%20AR%20Family/002_zps53eseyyk.jpg.html)

SeriousStudent
06-03-16, 19:21
You guys are old.

Never regret growing old, it is a privilege denied to many.

And I loves me some Garand. Every time I hear that enbloc clip eject with a ping, my Grinch heart grows three sizes.

Renegade04
06-03-16, 19:30

And I loves me some Garand. Every time I hear that enbloc clip eject with a ping, my Grinch heart grows three sizes.

I can relate to that. I love my 1943 SA M1 Garand.

SeriousStudent
06-03-16, 20:34
I have a barely contained urge some days to hop into the vehicle, and drive to Anniston and peruse the racks at the CMP.

steyrman13
06-03-16, 21:00
I have a barely contained urge some days to hop into the vehicle, and drive to Anniston and peruse the racks at the CMP.

The prices on them aren't what they used to be unfortunately. You could make a day of it and look, maybe buy and then shoot at the new whiz bang range they have! It is really nice! I could bring some toys to the table if you wanted to.

Five5six
06-04-16, 00:23
I always loved the look of an A1. Classic.

wildcard600
06-04-16, 00:59
No, they're just "Well Seasoned"! ;)

If somebody here chimes in that they trained with the "M1 Garand" or "M1903 Springfield" during basici training, now that's OLD! That's damn near prehistoric, but very, very cool! :cool:

A buddy of mine, now since passed used tell me stories his Navy service back in his day. They were issued 03's in basic and never even saw a garand until being deployed (this was shortly before Korea).

He was stationed in the gulf and spent alot of time around and about the bahamas/cuba. The stories he told of cheap rum and havana women were priceless.

We are surely at a loss when old soldiers and sailors like himself pass on.

SkipD
06-04-16, 06:38
LOL! I did Army basic with a M14, that's how old I am!I also did Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood with an M14. That was in 1964. I don't think I even saw an M-16 up close until well after I was out of the Army and I became a civilian again in 1968.

austinN4
06-04-16, 06:39
I also did Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood with an M14. That was in 1964.

I was at Jackson in '66.

Alnamvet68
06-04-16, 08:11
Didn't see an M16 until well after I arrived in country. It was at that time we were given rudimentary training with the 16, and then issued CAR-15's which were easier to stow on our Huey's.

Caduceus
06-04-16, 08:25
No kidding. They start discussing AARs of prostate exams or the merits of fiber supplements, I'm out.

Lol. I had a car salesman start talking about that during a test drive once he asked my job.

I asked if I'd get a discount off sticker price for doing one.

R6436
06-04-16, 08:33
I knew I was old and it was time to retire when:

- the current version of our rifles hit model A4. In basic we had straight M-16's, no "A" attatched.

- our semi's were on model "A5". In AIT we had straight M915's.

- I was the last RTO in the unit who could operate analog radios.

- only 6 of us in the unit knew who the majority of the people in our stories were.

- new troops either didn't drink coffee or always added so much creamer, sugar, and ice that it wasn't identifiable as coffee any longer.

- I had more time on my re-enlistment contract that most LT's had on their initial enlistments.

- my best mechanic joined the darkside, then made colonel. We went to Basic together.

- I started licensing troops that weren't even born until my second enlistment.

- At unit functions where family attended, I was getting hit on by some of my troops' mothers.

- Our E5 Supply Sergeant that drove me to processing when I very first enlisted made State Sergeant Major.

- PT standards were low enuff I could pass the 2 mile run time... while walking.

Hammered_Pair
06-04-16, 09:11
I guess I am experienced, not old, lol.

Some of you enlisted about the time my Dad did (mid 1960's).

But that crazy old man stayed 36 years, and was the biggest influence on me as I moved up and became an NCO, true lead by example guy, I had the privilege of serving with my Dad and learning to be a leader during my first enlistment.

I made every board first time up because I listened. We still had quite a few Vietnam vets as NCO'S and Officer's at that time.

dusterdude
06-04-16, 10:04

My thingy grows

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
06-04-16, 13:22
The prices on them aren't what they used to be unfortunately. You could make a day of it and look, maybe buy and then shoot at the new whiz bang range they have! It is really nice! I could bring some toys to the table if you wanted to.

LOL - you are definitely not helping contain the urge. :cool:

I have a bunch of cash locked into NFA goodies at the moment. Maybe sometime this fall. I appreciate the offer, I'll take you up on it.

Dienekes
06-06-16, 21:43
Not going to reveal too much, but my father recalled doing the manual of arms with a 1903 Springfield in the Army prior to WWII. His discharge certificate had a section on it to indicate whether he was qualified for mounted duty.

As to the M16, I was introduced to the thing in '65. NINETEEN 65.

It gets worse. My 7 YO grandson, learning that I was a veteran, wanted to know if I fought for the North or the South...

SeriousStudent
06-06-16, 22:44
Not going to reveal too much, but my father recalled doing the manual of arms with a 1903 Springfield in the Army prior to WWII. His discharge certificate had a section on it to indicate whether he was qualified for mounted duty.

As to the M16, I was introduced to the thing in '65. NINETEEN 65.

It gets worse. My 7 YO grandson, learning that I was a veteran, wanted to know if I fought for the North or the South...

Okay, so which side were you on? :cool:

Det-Sog
06-07-16, 15:05
Not as old as some, but... Reported for duty in the early 80's and swore in under Reagan. Hooah!

Issued an A1 triangle hand-guard version as the A2 would not debut for a few more years. Some of the A1s still had the 3-prong flash suppressor. Most troops were still wearing fatigues, we were one of the first company's issued BDU's (yes we stood out - NOT GOOD). Drove around in Deuce-n-a-Halves, and wait for it... Jeeps. No cell phones, or digital comms.. All cotton or polyester clothing, with the cheap leather, tire tread boots. Gawd it would have been a game changer if moisture wicking clothing would have been available then. I feel like that is the biggest thing I missed out on. Sweated my arse off...

Hammered_Pair
06-07-16, 16:25
Not as old as some, but... Reported for duty in the early 80's and swore in under Reagan. Hooah!

Issued an A1 triangle hand-guard version as the A2 would not debut for a few more years. Some of the A1s still had the 3-prong flash suppressor. Most troops were still wearing fatigues, we were one of the first company's issued BDU's (yes we stood out - NOT GOOD). Drove around in Deuce-n-a-Halves, and wait for it... Jeeps. No cell phones, or digital comms.. All cotton or polyester clothing, with the cheap leather, tire tread boots. Gawd it would have been a game changer if moisture wicking clothing would have been available then. I feel like that is the biggest thing I missed out on. Sweated my arse off...

We had jeeps, A1's and 1911's still, didn't get Beretta's and Hummers until shortly after I enlisted.

Det-Sog
06-07-16, 19:45
We had jeeps, A1's and 1911's still, didn't get Beretta's and Hummers until shortly after I enlisted.

Oh yeah! Got to carry the 1911, and when I was assigned as air-crew, I was issued a Colt .38 revolver. Good times. Well, maybe...

I still wish they would have chosen the Sig over the Beretta. Those 1987 +/- W. German Sigs were an amazing piece of work. Nothing like the Sigs you see now days.

sevenhelmet
06-07-16, 19:51
OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with the Sigs you see now days?

Det-Sog
06-07-16, 19:58
OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with the Sigs you see now days?

My newest Sig is still almost 20 years old, so I'm not qualified to say that there is anything "wrong" with the new Sigs. IMHO, for the most part, the older ones with the German parts from 80's and early 90's seem to be made better. The new ones are still top tier. I just remember when they were THE top tier.

CAVDOC
06-08-16, 09:21
My first issue rifle an h&R a1 I still recall serial number 2216455! When I joined we had A1's and 1911's and M60's ( our tankers were driving m48's at the time!) heck our maintenance section was still issued M3 grease guns. I saw the transitions to the M9,240B M16A2 then A4 and finally M4 carbine.
Our tankers transitioned briefly to. M60's then M1's
I left for Iraq in 2004 with an M16A4 and when we went to Afghanistan in 08 were issued the M4

BuzzinSATX
06-08-16, 12:45
Almost 34 years for me. Heck, I retired from active duty 6 years ago as of 1 July after almost 28 years.

First time I felt "old' was when I got a new Airman who was born while I was on active duty.

Next time was when we got a LT who was born while I was active duty.

Take Care,

Buzz

PaulnPats M-4
06-09-16, 11:41
I feel your pain, I used an M-3 as a tank commander on a M-48 A3 in Vietnam, a long, long time ago