PDA

View Full Version : Fu$% Ya! :)

WillBrink
06-03-16, 07:43
The findings of this study come as no surprise to me. :sarcastic:

People who curse a lot have better vocabularies than those who don't, study finds

If someone’s ever accused you of sounding less intelligent because you swear too much, don't worry - science has got your back. A new study has found that those who have a healthy repertoire of curse words at their disposal are more likely to have a richer vocabulary than those who don’t.

This challenges the long-held stereotype that people swear because they can’t find more intelligent words with which to express themselves. As Stephen Fry once said, "The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just f*cking lunatic."

Psychologists Kristin Jay and Timothy Jay of Marist College and the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (not clear if related) came up with the hypothesis that people who are well-versed in curse words are more likely to have greater overall language fluency too.

For the first experiment, they gathered 43 participants (30 women) aged between 18 and 22 years, and first asked them to rattle off as many swear or taboo words as they could in 60 seconds. Next, they had to recite as many animal names as they could in 60 seconds. The researchers used animal names as an indication of a person's overall vocabulary and interest in language.

As any intelligible American English taboo word or phrase was considered fair game, the participants ended up generating a total of 533 taboo words, including the rather obscure "cum dumpster" and "ass pirate". The participants also submitted to so-called FAS tasks, which are standardised verbal fluency tests.

In a second experiment, another 49 participants (34 women) aged between 18 and 22 were asked to perform a similar task - this time they were asked to write down as many curse words and animal names starting with the letter "a" as they could. They also completed FAS tasks to assess their overall language fluency.

Cont:

http://www.sciencealert.com/people-who-curse-a-lot-have-better-vocabularies-than-those-who-don-t-study-finds

Source:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S038800011400151X

T2C
06-03-16, 07:49
What steps did they take to ensure the study participants were never fleet Sailors or Marines? Both species know more curse words than most other forms of life on the planet, but that does not necessarily mean they have a vast vocabulary.

Profanity does come in handy at times.

Alex V
06-03-16, 07:50
As cool as this is, who is paying for this research?

WillBrink
06-03-16, 07:58
What steps did they take to ensure the study participants were never fleet Sailors or Marines? Both species know more curse words than most other forms of life on the planet, but that does not necessarily mean they have a vast vocabulary.

“Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.“ - Mark Twain

Outlander Systems
06-03-16, 08:09
This.

I work with a retired sonar tech, and dude has woven profanity into an artistic masterpiece.

skijunkie55
06-03-16, 09:29
Yeah this study is a steaming pile of excrement. I can go to my local redneck bar and produce 2 dozen people within a matter of 15 minutes that would use the same expletive word for a noun, verb, and adjective in the same sentence. "This f____er was so f____ing s___ faced last night that he drove his f____ing truck into the back of his girlfriend's car in the driveway... He f___ that s___ up man..."

These are the same individuals who got their GED at 22 years old... Listing animal names and curse words / phrases = better vocabulary?? Next we'll find out that morbidly obese people are actually more athletic because they lift their fat arms to their face many times during the day and therefore burn more calories than a power lifter who can squat 600 lbs or a runner who can complete a 100 mile race in under 24 hours!

I sincerely hope no government funds were used in this test....

Skyyr
06-03-16, 10:02
This study is about as brainlessly obvious as it gets.

Re-worded:

"We found that people who know lots of curse words also tend to know lots of other words, because expletives are simply words and someone who knows lots of words will likely know lots of curse words too. We also found that people who knew less curse words knew less other words, because they're simply words and people who know less words tend to be less educated."

Well no sh*t sherlock.

JC5188
06-03-16, 10:54
I guess that makes me the okie fvcking Shakespeare...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
06-03-16, 13:01
I heard swearing improves longevity and therefore

I AM IMMORTAL

TAZ
06-03-16, 13:11
As cool as this is, who is paying for this research?

Probably the same lot who funded the who's fatter? Lesbians, gay guys or heterosexuals.

ggammell
06-03-16, 13:50
Somewhere in the heavens George Carlin is saying "no shit."

Bulletdog
06-03-16, 23:32
Somewhere in the heavens George Carlin is saying "no shit."

And Sam Kinison is right next to him nodding in agreement and going, "F___ an A man…"

Rekkr870
06-04-16, 00:21
I heard swearing improves longevity and therefore

I AM IMMORTAL
For some unknown reason, I read that in Freddie Mercury's voice. What the f***?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

cbx
06-04-16, 12:03
Nice.

I personally find that people that don't swear tend to be little on the slow side.

The ones that don't drink and don't swear usually try to eff you the hardest in life.

jpmuscle
06-04-16, 17:11
Nice.

I personally find that people that don't swear tend to be little on the slow side.

The ones that don't drink and don't swear usually try to eff you the hardest in life.
There's a reason why generally you never trust a man who doesn't swear and drinks a little bit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Big A
06-04-16, 17:32
There's a reason why generally you never trust a man who doesn't swear and drinks a little bit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I read that in your avatars voice...

Firefly
06-04-16, 17:40
The best compliment I ever got in life was "You curse like a Frenchman, you have the charm of a German, the libido of an Italian, and the hair of a Mexican. Go to Hell, you rotten bastard."

I mean...dear lord woman, you sold the car stop trying to butter me up

TomMcC
06-04-16, 19:42
deleted