PDA

View Full Version : Magpul SL handguard experience

cfrock
06-03-16, 20:40
For those with experience with the midlength SL handguard I have a question. Does it fit securely on both round and triangle end caps?
Thanks in advance.

jstalford
06-03-16, 20:44
It only fits round end caps IIRC

bullseye
06-03-16, 21:13
I put a set on my LMT,, very difficult by myself-- had to get the wife for ''another set of hands''. Went right on then, they feel nice and I like them. They are sorta difficult to install, without a helping hand--- in MY case.

Iraqgunz
06-03-16, 21:30
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172086-Magpul-MOE-SL-Mid-length-handguard

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?171802-SHIPPING-NOW-Magpul-MOE-SL-Hand-Guard-Mid-Length

notorious_ar15
06-03-16, 22:13
Install requires the round handguard cap. Ordered a .625 handguard cap from Bravo Company (for use on light weight barrels with smaller diameter gas blocks, if required).

cfrock
06-03-16, 22:27
Round only, got it. Sucks but got it.
Thanks all.

Ratfink
06-03-16, 23:08
Tough to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
06-03-16, 23:11
There is a company in Tucson called SIONICS Weapon Systems and they use the round style cap on all their builds so they are compatible.

samuse
06-04-16, 07:11
There is a company in Tucson called SIONICS Weapon Systems and they use the round style cap on all their builds so they are compatible.

There's a guy in Texas who will build one with a round or triangle handguard cap.

ggammell
06-04-16, 07:40
Im not sure why the second bullet point on the Magpul site didn't answer your question sufficiently.

https://www.magpul.com/products/firearms-accessories/hand-guards/moe-sl-hand-guard-carbine-length

Alnamvet68
06-04-16, 08:03
You must also remove the front sling swivel if your rifle is so equipped.

Iraqgunz
06-04-16, 18:52
Sweet.

There's a guy in Texas who will build one with a round or triangle handguard cap.

samuse
06-04-16, 22:07
Sweet.

Duuuude. :D

Eurodriver
06-05-16, 17:28
What is the appeal of these handguards over the standard MOE? If I'm removing the FSB I'm installing a rail. That is ridiculous.

MountainRaven
06-05-16, 19:21
What is the appeal of these handguards over the standard MOE? If I'm removing the FSB I'm installing a rail. That is ridiculous.

I think you've misunderstood: You don't remove the FSB/gas block, you remove the sling swivel from the FSB/gas block.

Mrgunsngear
06-05-16, 19:30

I think around the 2:10 mark I show them together for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuJXsoRpd0

Mrgunsngear
06-05-16, 19:31
I think you've misunderstood: You don't remove the FSB/gas block, you remove the sling swivel from the FSB/gas block.

Correct. How to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6GlhgxkGQ

Eurodriver
06-05-16, 19:39

If your upper has a triangular cap you have to remove it and put a circular cap on it. People have done this.

I remove all of my swivels on every upper so I understand this is a non issue with a drill and 3 minutes of time.

wildcard600
06-05-16, 21:34

Thats basically my thoughts as well. I really like the idea of the SL, but all of my middys use the triangle cap so if I am going to that much trouble its just gonna get a rail instead.

samuse
06-05-16, 22:04
I don't think I've ever seen a carbine with a triangle cap.

Uprange41
06-05-16, 22:20

Slimmer and some more space to grab. It really does beat the shit out of using the old MOE's. But I agree, I'm not removing an FSB for polymer handguards.

The BCM drop-in should be a better product, IMO. It can work with either endcap, and they say it feels about like a KMR with the rail covers.

If only it existed, it'd probably be one sweet piece of hardware.

MountainRaven
06-06-16, 02:19
If your upper has a triangular cap you have to remove it and put a circular cap on it. People have done this.

I remove all of my swivels on every upper so I understand this is a non issue with a drill and 3 minutes of time.

Oh, hey, you're right. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Seems kinda short bus of Magpul, but whatever.

Iraqgunz
06-06-16, 02:59
Just curious. Why is it Magpul's fault?

Oh, hey, you're right. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Seems kinda short bus of Magpul, but whatever.

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 06:13
Just curious. Why is it Magpul's fault?

It's no one's fault, really. IIRC, Magpul had to design it around circular caps in order to make the slimline handguard "slim". The issue is that there is no standard for midlengths which are extremely common and many companies, including the staples like BCM, use triangular caps essentially requiring a free float rail level of installation difficulty for polymer drop in handguards.

Now I know you know all of this, so my post isn't really directed at you but to others who may be reading this wondering just what in the world transpired. I don't think it is really anyone's "fault", however the incompatibility of the two certainly makes BCM's eventual handguard release much more appealing.

ggammell
06-06-16, 09:02
My Colt has one. Which is why I had to go with the regular MOE model. It's about 12 years old.

clarkz71
06-06-16, 19:02
The SL hand guard "is" a tight fit, but not hard with the delta ring tool.

I had the Colt hand guard off & the SL installed in 5 minutes.

The increased length and "feel" is worth the $35

TexasAggie2005
06-06-16, 20:13
I started with the MOE, but it was too fat for my taste. So then I tried B5's KeyMod drop in, which was only "okay". I grabbed an SL as soon as it was available. I really like it.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160607/2304f1c5f6cba807fa491e43392f1493.jpg

user
06-09-16, 22:05
Man some moe sl are hard as hell to install

bullseye
06-10-16, 07:46
Man some moe sl are hard as hell to install

I tried several times, by myself, to install mine-- no go. Finally, I got the wife to help me with it. I put the top half right on, held the delta ring down with a BCM tool, twisted the bottom piece in position and held the top half with one hand while she pushed the bottom home-- installed!!

HeruMew
06-10-16, 08:51

Howdy Euro,

If you're like me, moderately foolish for having purchased piston for my first AR (Which I know you are not :P ), the Adam's Arms is very limited on handguard options (save for investing in the lowprofile piston kit) that are under 100.

The MOE SL is the only option, I am aware of, that will fit on the AA15 (Standard Carbine Model) without any modification and sub $100.

It is, however, an EXTREME PITA. The Piston/Gas Block is just the right distance away. The tolerances are tight due to that, and it takes a few hands to get it on. Even with a handguard removal tool, I needed a third hand.

I've since learned from that adventure, and will avoid proprietary from here on out. Also seems investing in those higher end handguards lead to some awesome builds.

Great sub $40 modification to change the standard carbine guards into M-LOK compatible, slim lined, guard.

I am sure you were aware of this, and your question may have been rhetoric, but this was my reasoning for investing in something like that. I can't speak for removing the Sling swivel from the FSB, as the AA15 was void of such.

ETA:
I will place this here:
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w499/HeruMew/Mobile%20Uploads/1462829599485-13799485_zpskvefz5xd.jpg

clarkz71
06-10-16, 08:55
As stated, FSB stays. Only sling swivel must go.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag472/Bob036/1568ead3-6c9b-469b-9d5e-a2795d3911cc_zps8a5vm7uc.jpg

BufordTJustice
06-10-16, 11:48
It's no one's fault, really. IIRC, Magpul had to design it around circular caps in order to make the slimline handguard "slim". The issue is that there is no standard for midlengths which are extremely common and many companies, including the staples like BCM, use triangular caps essentially requiring a free float rail level of installation difficulty for polymer drop in handguards.

Now I know you know all of this, so my post isn't really directed at you but to others who may be reading this wondering just what in the world transpired. I don't think it is really anyone's "fault", however the incompatibility of the two certainly makes BCM's eventual handguard release much more appealing.
Agreed. In fact, i half suspect that BCM wouldn't have gone to the trouble to make their own if magpul hadn't created a huge hole in the market by only accommodating circular end caps.

I'm of the same mind that, if I'm doing that level of disassembly, I'm going free float with a low pro gas block.

Iraqgunz
06-10-16, 20:04
My point was that when you claim "they went short bus" that's not an accurate statement. Unless I am missing something, there is no standard for a midlength handguard cap and several companies use them.

MountainRaven
06-10-16, 23:00
My point was that when you claim "they went short bus" that's not an accurate statement. Unless I am missing something, there is no standard for a midlength handguard cap and several companies use them.

Smith & Wesson, PSA, and...?

I guess that there isn't going to be a rifle-length MOE SL.

wildcard600
06-10-16, 23:41
Smith & Wesson, PSA, and...?

I guess that there isn't going to be a rifle-length MOE SL.

IG stated that Sionics uses a round cap.