PDA

View Full Version : Law Tactical AR Folding Stock Adapter ... Cold Feet ... Reality Check

Schmalkald
06-04-16, 12:56
So, I have a SBR and bought the LAW AR folding stock device back in March...but .... I have no installed it. I got it out today and I literally have my lower in the vice ready to remove the buffer tube, but ... I'm suddenly not feeling the love for the product.

I'm looking at my 11.5" BCM upper and the stock pushed all the way in and thinking...

"What, exactly, is the problem I'm trying to solve with this thing?"

The SBR is pretty compact as it is, and as I consider going through all the motions required to install yet more moving parts on my AR, requiring me to remove a properly staked castle nut on the buffer, and then installing the frankly rather heavy mechanism that would give me a folding stock, I'm having major second thoughts.

The Law Tactical adapter is obviously extremely well made, I mean the thing is a tank, so no knocking the product here, but I think I'm getting cold feet about the whole idea of it after all, particularly since it is not recommended to fire the AR with the stock folded. You would only get off one shot anyway.

Anyone else running one? Anyone else considered one and had second thoughts?

SeriousStudent
06-04-16, 13:15
Yes, I have two.

They are on firearms that need the maximum concealability I can get, while still being quick to deploy. I can break down an AR into components to make it even more concealable. But I'm not interesting in juggling BCG's and charging handles by the side to the road, when I need a carbine right freaking now. It's all about your use case.

Mission drives the gear train, as someone much smarter than me said.

Schmalkald
06-04-16, 13:21
Yup, and I know that, but just thought it would be a natural way to make my SBR even more concealable and compact, but ... now I'm just unable realistically to envision a realistic scenario where I actually need the folding stock option rather than simply being able to grab the SBR and start shooting it right away.

Thanks for the cold splash of reality-water.

SeriousStudent
06-04-16, 13:28
No worries. I view it as useful for a "traveling gun". If you are not going to be taking the weapon on the road, you might not have as great a need. I would probably never put it on an HD gun, as it would be unneeded for my requirements.

Of course, there is always the CDI factor. If you just want to do it, it's your life and your money. I have a LOT of "fun" stuff. But I tend to keep defensive tools as simple and reliable as I can. I'm weird that way.

If I lived in an Airstream trailer and wandered the country, my HD gun would be different as well.

tinythief
06-04-16, 13:47
Yes, I have two.

They are on firearms that need the maximum concealability I can get, while still being quick to deploy. I can break down an AR into components to make it even more concealable. But I'm not interesting in juggling BCG's and charging handles by the side to the road, when I need a carbine right freaking now. It's all about your use case.

Pretty much this. I like the Dolos system idea but not idea for my usage. For the Law, it's pretty much pop the stock and pull the charging handle.

@seriousstudent, I have a question. How many rounds have you with yours? Any issues with the BCG extension getting loose?

Joe R.
06-04-16, 14:44
I had one. Ran it for about a month and took it off. My experience is a bit different than most (keep in mind sample size of exactly one) in that while the device worked fine there was accelerated wear on the edges of the face of the buffer. This came from the buffer hitting the buffer retainer pin. It got to the point where the edges looked like they got chewed on by a small rodent. Took it off and haven't looked back.

While to ability to fold the stock to reduce size is nice, it wasn't worth the downside in my opinion.

feraldog
06-04-16, 14:57
thanks guys. i think you just saved me a couple hundred bucks...

fledge
06-04-16, 15:04
Deadfoot Arms will give you the folder that allows the action to cycle (if you don't like the Law Tactical compromise of one shot only when folded). Deadfoot doesn't fold as compact as the Law Tactical but still knocks off a lot of length. I don't have a Deadfoot but have researched it. It's not for me.

The Law Tactical would also work on an AR pistol if you want a non-NFA short gun. Plus it extends your buffer tube a little longer for those who need longer LOP at the cheek rest.

Benito
06-04-16, 17:54
OP, you don't really want that folding stock adapter anyways. I'll dispose of it for your I'll even cover shipping. I'll PM you my address.

GH41
06-04-16, 18:41
OP, you don't really want that folding stock adapter anyways. I'll dispose of it for your I'll even cover shipping. I'll PM you my address.

Let me know too. I might kick in more than shipping only.

JoshNC
06-04-16, 18:55
Deadfoot Arms will give you the folder that allows the action to cycle (if you don't like the Law Tactical compromise of one shot only when folded). Deadfoot doesn't fold as compact as the Law Tactical but still knocks off a lot of length. I don't have a Deadfoot but have researched it. It's not for me.

The Law Tactical would also work on an AR pistol if you want a non-NFA short gun. Plus it extends your buffer tube a little longer for those who need longer LOP at the cheek rest.

Deadfoot Arms receiver extension looks to be the same length as the various short cqb stock options. I would personally prefer to use one of those.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but if I need a very compact folding stock 5.56 SBR I will pick my SIG 552 or 553.

Or the AUG if I don't want the hassle of a title-2 firearm. With barrel removed it is 22".

MistWolf
06-04-16, 19:12
If I lived in an Airstream trailer and wandered the country, my HD gun would be different as well.

I lived in a 32 foot motorhome for a year and a half and never found a need or even a strong desire for a folding stock AR. However, I did build a pistol AR with a Sig brace which quickly became one of my favorite ARs to shoot

26 Inf
06-04-16, 23:28
Currently waiting on my stamp. I have about 500 rounds through mine on a pistol, like I said waiting on a stamp.

I was a little concerned because I'm left handed and run a two point sling with the back QD attachment on a Thordsen buffer tube cover. I was worried the way I used the sling to shoot the pistol would pull on the latch and cause problems.

None so far. I like having an assembled AR in a back pack.

Did I REALLY need it? No. Do I regret the purchase? No.

CPM
06-04-16, 23:46
OP, I'm with you. I'm at the point now where I am trimming all of my rifles down. With Sbr stamps taking 90 days, and considering you already have one, I don't see the benefit of the added weight and removing the castle but, etc...

Stickman
06-05-16, 02:59
I've got one, and it does what it needs to do, which is fit into smaller spaces. I don't have one on every weapon, but it gives me added flexibility. I feel bad for anyone who only has one AR, but since most people here have multiples, there isn't a downside.

Regarding folding a weapon while it is collapsed, I'm not a third world conscript, I don't see a lot of need for that personally.

ABNAK
06-05-16, 08:26
Yes, I have two.

^ What he said. Mine will fit into a backpack without having to be re-assembled to deploy it, just pull it out and flip the stock closed. Viola!

Schmalkald
06-05-16, 08:44
Just sold it yesterday on another forum. So, no harm, no foul.

Microadventure
06-05-16, 10:26
I drive a baja bug. just no room for anything. anything you carry prevents you from carrying something else. I want a folding stock for that.

I drive an F150. plenty of room, but when you carry cameras, computers, camping gear - not an excess of space. you want to keep things out of sight and display nothing of interest. if a passerby can't tell the bag of pots and pans and camp stove from the firearms, he can't do a quick smash and grab. I want a folding stock for that.

TheChunkNorris
06-05-16, 10:41
Deadfoot Arms receiver extension looks to be the same length as the various short cqb stock options. I would personally prefer to use one of those.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but if I need a very compact folding stock 5.56 SBR I will pick my SIG 552 or 553.

Or the AUG if I don't want the hassle of a title-2 firearm. With barrel removed it is 22".

Only thing that "sucks" about the Deadfoot is you need to trim your existing bolt or buy their bolt. My buddy has one and it's built like a tank.

Sqr
06-06-16, 13:10
I returned mine and sold the project SBR to purchase this folding stocked rifle. Having the capability to fire while folded sold me on the concept.

https://youtu.be/4Iwr6qJr6b8

Joe R.
06-06-16, 13:19
I also went with the Sig MCX for my needs for a smaller footprint package and am pleased so far.

Koshinn
06-06-16, 13:47
It makes ARs shorter when stored.

It makes ARs heavier.

It makes ARs more expensive.

It looks cool.

I have one, but I also don't only have one AR.

RetroRevolver77
06-06-16, 15:22
So, I have a SBR and bought the LAW AR folding stock device back in March...but .... I have no installed it. I got it out today and I literally have my lower in the vice ready to remove the buffer tube, but ... I'm suddenly not feeling the love for the product.

I'm looking at my 11.5" BCM upper and the stock pushed all the way in and thinking...

"What, exactly, is the problem I'm trying to solve with this thing?"

The SBR is pretty compact as it is, and as I consider going through all the motions required to install yet more moving parts on my AR, requiring me to remove a properly staked castle nut on the buffer, and then installing the frankly rather heavy mechanism that would give me a folding stock, I'm having major second thoughts.

The Law Tactical adapter is obviously extremely well made, I mean the thing is a tank, so no knocking the product here, but I think I'm getting cold feet about the whole idea of it after all, particularly since it is not recommended to fire the AR with the stock folded. You would only get off one shot anyway.

Anyone else running one? Anyone else considered one and had second thoughts?

Get an AK with a folding stock. It will be just as compact if not more depending on model plus you can actually fire it with the stock folded. I wouldn't have a useless feature on a serious defense weapon.

26 Inf
06-06-16, 15:46
I'm not too awfully concerned about the fact it is a one shot deal when folded. My mindset has always been if the rifle isn't in my hand the quickest solution is a pistol. I am certainly not going to be carrying it on my person with the stock folded.

BTW - mine is currently residing in the saddle bag of my Street Glide, handy little gadget.