PDA

View Full Version : Buying and Owning NFA Items on Active Duty

kremtok
06-04-16, 15:22
Greetings,

Having recently moved back to a free state, I'm looking to add some NFA items, specifically suppressors a and short barrel rifles, to my collection. I haven't decided on creating a trust or buying as an individual yet.

I'll be on active duty for at least another 7 years, possibly longer. I'm concerned what will happen if I get transferred to a state where either or both of those are prohibited. For my last PCS I had to leave standard capacity magazines with a trusted friend, but I understand it's not quite that simple with NFA items.

Can anyone with insight or experience offer some advice, please?

Thanks for your time.

contax_shooter
06-04-16, 17:08
Probably not worth it depending on what kind of person you are. The last thing I want to worry about are personally owned firearms when an awsome assignment in Europe or Asia comes up. It was easy enough for me to leave my non-NFA gear at my folk's home while I was away in South Korea and Germany back-to-back.

BigWaylon
06-04-16, 19:01
You can register them as an entity and leave them with another member/trustee if you can't take them to the new state. Or, you can leave them locked in a safe deposit box. Or leave them locked up at somebody's house you trust. You leave them a copy of the paperwork and take the key/combo with you.

Eurodriver
06-05-16, 18:01
I got into NFA while stationed in Hawaii. I was a resident of a free state.

When I picked up my items home on leave I would put them in my bank safe deposit box. A lower without the RE and my suppressors fit excellently along with the stamps and other docs. I felt like Jason Bourne.

It's also cheap - $50 a year IIRC.

I would not leave my shit with anyone under any circumstances.

Wake27
06-05-16, 18:20
I've considered doing the same. Euro, did you just go on leave once your stamps came in and fly back to pick the stuff up? Timing that stuff has been one of my biggest hold ups. I know it's not an option for everybody but if I were to do it while in occupied territory, I'd put my dad's name on the trust and have him handle all of the pick up and storing, while I handle the additional paperwork and trust stuff from out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
06-05-16, 19:02
Unfortunately my family is full of criminals and dead beats so I had to do everything solo.

IIRC (this was like 5 years ago) I went home on leave before Christmas and got a trust, bought my cans from major malfunction in Jan and had them shipped to my dealer in Feb. by May or so they were ready but I wasn't able to pick them up til August. My dealer was ok with this.

In August on leave I flew home, picked them up shot them a few times and stored them in a box until I came home again. No drama whatsoever.

kremtok
06-06-16, 17:49
Safe deposit box is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks to each of you for sharing your thoughts.

BigWaylon
06-06-16, 18:34
Safe deposit box is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks to each of you for sharing your thoughts.

Safe deposit box is actually the first answer given by the ATF. Here (https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-individual-changing-his-or-her-state-residence-and-individuals-application-transport) you go.

Tejasmtb
06-06-16, 20:43
I left all of my items on a safe at my fathers house who was also listed as a trustee on my trust when I was in. The longest I went without cracking that puppy open was a little over a year, it felt like Christmas all over again. If you don't have a trusted family member in a free state then I'd definitely look into the safety deposit box idea.

GrahamKAC
06-06-16, 21:45
For those of you using safe deposit boxes as storage, have you checked your lease agreement?

My bank specifically mentions no explosives, guns, or intoxicating liquors.....

To be honest, I've had it for years, long before I was into NFA. Never bothered to look until now.

A little googling turns up a similar policy for US Bank and a couple other major institutions.

Just curious as if those doing so don't care considering the bank shouldn't know what's in there, or are specifically using institutions which don't disallow such practice.

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 22:09
For those of you using safe deposit boxes as storage, have you checked your lease agreement?

My bank specifically mentions no explosives, guns, or intoxicating liquors.....

To be honest, I've had it for years, long before I was into NFA. Never bothered to look until now.

A little googling turns up a similar policy for US Bank and a couple other major institutions.

Just curious as if those doing so don't care considering the bank shouldn't know what's in there, or are specifically using institutions which don't disallow such practice.

Yes, that was part of the agreement, but the nature of a bank deposit box is such that no one knows whats in it but you. You walk in with a backpack, get your box, go into the little room, fill it up/empty it, put it back in the vault, and leave. If anyone ever finds out whats in your box you're doing it wrong. Barring an extraordinary situation (like Hurricane Katrina) no one ever will.

BigWaylon
06-06-16, 22:30
Yes, that was part of the agreement, but the nature of a bank deposit box is such that no one knows whats in it but you. You walk in with a backpack, get your box, go into the little room, fill it up/empty it, put it back in the vault, and leave. If anyone ever finds out whats in your box you're doing it wrong. Barring an extraordinary situation (like Hurricane Katrina) no one ever will.
Exactly. I mean, look what Jason Bourne keeps in his. :)

Conrad101st
06-06-16, 22:43
Can you just keep them on post?
That's not in state is it if you are on a federal installation. ???????
Then can use them on the post.
We kept all kinds of personal weapons in the company arms rooms. But I got out when we still had cool things like officer clubs with kick ass Sunday brunches, BDUs with sleeves that rolled up, M60s, and the Traffic Light Lounge.

Wake27
06-06-16, 23:09
Can you just keep them on post?
That's not in state is it if you are on a federal installation. ???????
Then can use them on the post.
We kept all kinds of personal weapons in the company arms rooms. But I got out when we still had cool things like officer clubs with kick ass Sunday brunches, BDUs with sleeves that rolled up, M60s, and the Traffic Light Lounge.

Yeah I'd never do that, especially if I were enlisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conrad101st
06-06-16, 23:25
I will bite. Why not?

Conrad101st
06-06-16, 23:29
Heck, you may not even have to keep suppressors in the arms room, but might leave in your wall locker if the regs or post policy don't address it ???

Eurodriver
06-07-16, 10:05
Heck, you may not even have to keep suppressors in the arms room, but might leave in your wall locker if the regs or post policy don't address it ???

Suppressors in a wall locker? Are you crazy??

Ignoring the fact that you have to travel on a civilian aircraft and in civilian vehicles to get to the base (felony to bring a suppressor into HI) the wall locker in a barracks room for anyone below E5 is probably the LEAST SAFE place in the entire world.

Let your squad leader come into your room and find your roommate being a nasty pig. Then he takes both your shit out of your lockers and puts it in the shower - and turns the water on. I've seen it happen. When I rated I didn't deliberately damage anything, I just threw their shit into the common area and made them clean their room before they could bring it back in. But Guys still lost TVs, cameras, all sorts of things due to theft.

I don't think most guys are gonna know what a suppressor is and the ones that do aren't going to be inspecting your room but I would rather keep a suppressor buried in a plastic bag in a city park than ever keep it in a Lance Corporals wall locker.

Conrad101st
06-07-16, 10:38
Well, I see your point if wall lockers are that unsecured. :-)

Did not realize it was Hawaii and that aero plane was only option. Normally if you are in transit to another location, you can go through a state with forbidden stuff in car. Im sure that a federal post in the state may be pushing the definition of in transit, but that's the way I roll. :-)

I still would not be surprised if you could get a letter from your company commander authorizing you to keep it in the arms room, to only be used on post ranges or for hunting on post. Have it mailed from a FFL to your post address after you arrive.

Obviously, I'm saying that you should follow the law, but many times there are legal solutions if you dig.

GrahamKAC
06-08-16, 22:08

That what I assumed, and what I'd do if the need arose.

daddyusmaximus
06-08-16, 22:22
Having had to keep firearms in the arms room in the past I can vouch for what a big PITA it is. I can only imagine what most COs would say when you ask to stick a NFA item in "their" arms room. If your HOR or duty station is in a free state I'd do the safe deposit box. Otherwise, I'd wait til I retired. I wonder if you were in a commie state, and the bank on post has safe deposit boxes, that would be on federal land. You could always ask a JAG officer.

Eurodriver
06-09-16, 12:28
Having had to keep firearms in the arms room in the past I can vouch for what a big PITA it is. I can only imagine what most COs would say when you ask to stick a NFA item in "their" arms room. If your HOR or duty station is in a free state I'd do the safe deposit box. Otherwise, I'd wait til I retired. I wonder if you were in a commie state, and the bank on post has safe deposit boxes, that would be on federal land. You could always ask a JAG officer.

Additionally, don't forget that ALL firearms in the arms room must be accounted for monthly (in the USMC, anyway) and that means the armorer and the XO (usually delegated, but could be the CO) must physically touch and inspect and record the serial number every single month.

Yeah, no thanks.

sinister
06-09-16, 12:42
I PCSed a number of NFA items over the course of a 31-year career.

If you have orders PCSing you to a restricted state you can always keep them in a safe deposit box in a neighboring NFA-friendly state.

Most Army posts allow you to keep them in your on-post family quarters if you register them (just like any other firearms).

Your military status usually provides no exemption if assigned to a non-NFA state (NY, NJ, Hawaii, California, Mass, Illinois, etc.).

kremtok
06-09-16, 21:03
I PCSed a number of NFA items over the course of a 31-year career.

If you have orders PCSing you to a restricted state you can always keep them in a safe deposit box in a neighboring NFA-friendly state.

Most Army posts allow you to keep them in your on-post family quarters if you register them (just like any other firearms).

Your military status usually provides no exemption if assigned to a non-NFA state (NY, NJ, Hawaii, California, Mass, Illinois, etc.).

Thank you kindly for sharing your experience.

BlackWatch16
06-16-16, 21:22
Interesting comments/ideas about storage of NFA items in military quarters or arms room. I assure you that regardless of it being a federal installation, you absolutely must abide by the respective state laws. Usually military installations are even more strict regarding what they allow on post or require to be registered. You are more likely to find a military base in an NFA-free state that does not allow suppressors. Add me to the list of people who would never, under ANY circumstance, store such an item in a unit arms room.
As others have said, if you have a trust with a co-trustee in a free state who you actually TRUST, go with them. After all that's one of the perks of having a trust. Make sure this person has a good deal of stability/security and lives in a decently safe area. If not, safe deposit box I suppose.

BlackWatch16
06-16-16, 21:26

Question for those who have used the bank deposit box option...did you actually send a letter/notice to the bureau with the new address? No big deal if you don't wanna answer...not trying to figure out the legality of it...I ask because I'm not sure if this is required if they are staying in the same state but just changing address.

sinister
06-16-16, 22:14
You send a change of address card with the bank's address if it's a new state.

If you put it in a deposit box in the same state as your Form 4 or trust then you don't need to send in a change of address card (which would be a courtesy).

kremtok
07-05-16, 10:51
One more thing.

I've got my lower and I need to get it engraved. Can anyone confirm that I can just mail it myself without going through an FFL? I have searched and I think that's the right answer but I just want to make sure.

Thanks again!

_Stormin_
07-05-16, 19:25
I've got my lower and I need to get it engraved. Can anyone confirm that I can just mail it myself without going through an FFL? I have searched and I think that's the right answer but I just want to make sure.

For a lower that you already possess, shipping it to your engraver and then having them ship it back to you is kosher as of right now. For a lower you have purchased, but not yet taken possession of, it must be sent to an FFL after engraving for them to complete a 4473 and transfer the firearm to you.

kremtok
07-08-16, 10:30
For a lower that you already possess, shipping it to your engraver and then having them ship it back to you is kosher as of right now. For a lower you have purchased, but not yet taken possession of, it must be sent to an FFL after engraving for them to complete a 4473 and transfer the firearm to you.

Thank you for the reply.