PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle brakes and indoor ranges

zecropper
06-06-16, 00:19
So here in NC where I'm at, the closest range and the FFL I use is indoors and they obviously allow Rifles to be shot. I have a couple muzzle brakes coming (VG6 Gamma and a PWS FSC556) and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on using those inside. I do know they suck for people next to you but should I just not even bother going to that range to use it? Or just go and warn the people next to me, or just find an outdoor range here?

What's your guys take on it?

Edit. Probably the wrong section. Sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uprange41
06-06-16, 00:49
Eh, any carbine is going to get annoyed looks at an indoor range... if the range doesn't disallow it, you do you. Anytime I've shot a carbine at an indoor range, I asked for a lane as far away from others as possible.

What region of in NC are you in?

zecropper
06-06-16, 00:54
Eh, any carbine is going to get annoyed looks at an indoor range... if the range doesn't disallow it, you do you. Anytime I've shot a carbine at an indoor range, I asked for a lane as far away from others as possible.

What region of in NC are you in?

In the mooresville/Charlotte area

Uprange41
06-06-16, 01:04
In the mooresville/Charlotte area

If you haven't already, hit up Uwharrie. It's just east of you, and they have a great outdoor rifle range. No real rules on ROF or any nonsense like that, but they have a full time RSO, free targets/target stands, and generally nice folks.

Treehopr
06-06-16, 01:10
Go to an outdoor range, it's obnoxious and won't help your long term hearing.

The last time I was at an indoor range, the guy in the lane next to me decided to whip out his SBR with a 7.5" pistol upper, then proceeded to let anybody who was curious about it fire off 5-10 rounds each :mad:

zecropper
06-06-16, 01:13
If you haven't already, hit up Uwharrie. It's just east of you, and they have a great outdoor rifle range. No real rules on ROF or any nonsense like that, but they have a full time RSO, free targets/target stands, and generally nice folks.

I completely forgot about Uwharrie man. Thanks for reminding me. I'll check that out for sure.

Uprange41
06-06-16, 01:28
I completely forgot about Uwharrie man. Thanks for reminding me. I'll check that out for sure.

The re-design really upped the quality of the place. Just bring something that can handle mud :D

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 06:21
I got to talking guns with some people at work. We work in a high rise downtown, so indoors was our only option to hit up after work.

Shooting indoors sucks. You can only shoot to 25 yards, and the noise is the worst. I have the AAC 51.0 on an 11.5" and the first time I unloaded unsuppressed a lady literally ran out of the room holding her ears. It was loud.

I am a considerate gun owner and always shoot suppressed. Only dickheads don't. However, shooting suppressed was not an option as it was filthy and we didn't want oil all over our clothes. Where is your suppressor?

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_3269_zpshj2m1mgt.jpg

I say this in order to ascertain why you are shooting indoors. Are you going because you want to shoot and enjoy it? I would never. Are you trying to swing through with some females and have a good time? It might be worth it.

FWIW - she had ear plugs and ear muffs on and it was still almost too much.

Hmac
06-06-16, 06:37
In the winter especially, I shoot indoors at the local 50 yard indoor range. My rifles all have BattleComp brakes on them and they do tend to bark, especially the SBRs. I usually wear a pair of ear plugs under muffs if I'm shooting one of those. I've had other shooters on the line remark on how loud a particular rifle is but no one has complained, and the range is OK with it. I have to confess, I'm not particularly sympathetic to people complaining that my gun is too loud. Rather than me curtailing my shooting, maybe they ought to be the one that comes back later.

Suppressed? Yeah...not a bad idea and I might get one of those things some day now that they're legal in this state. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth the money and hassle for the shooting that I do. I'm kind of intrigued, but still mostly ambivalent.

boombotz401
06-06-16, 07:03
Surefire brakes are a bit annoying indoors, others not so much. All depends on the brake

I'm not gonna ruin someone else's fun though, just take a step back in my stance so I'm out of the blast path

dangrullon87
06-06-16, 07:18
Could also get a blast shield if your brake is compatible like the surefire warden, AAC blastout or Griffins shield. This will reduce the annoyance to anyone to the sides of you while keeping the recoil manageable.

Swstock
06-06-16, 07:38
If people can't take the noise of gunfire, they shouldn't go to the range.

You shouldn't need to remove your brake in consideration of others.

Mustang31
06-06-16, 08:06

This.

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 08:07

What a manly man you are.

"Hey you female liberal anti gun CPAs from Manhatten, I hope you had a great time at the gun range. It was going to be a great opportunity to educate you on safe firearms handling and maybe even bring you to our side politically, but the asshole next to us shooting a 7.5" 5.56mm AR pistol with a brake on it kind of ruined your experience and reinforced stereotypes of gun owners being reckless idiots compensating for small dicks."

Just Saturday I converted a woman from Chicago to buying a pistol for her apartment. I was able to do this because I was not surrounded by people like you at the range.

zecropper
06-06-16, 08:14
I got to talking guns with some people at work. We work in a high rise downtown, so indoors was our only option to hit up after work.

Shooting indoors sucks. You can only shoot to 25 yards, and the noise is the worst. I have the AAC 51.0 on an 11.5" and the first time I unloaded unsuppressed a lady literally ran out of the room holding her ears. It was loud.

I am a considerate gun owner and always shoot suppressed. Only dickheads don't. However, shooting suppressed was not an option as it was filthy and we didn't want oil all over our clothes. Where is your suppressor?

I say this in order to ascertain why you are shooting indoors. Are you going because you want to shoot and enjoy it? I would never. Are you trying to swing through with some females and have a good time? It might be worth it.

I don't have a suppressor cause 1, my AR is still en route to my FFL and 2. I don't feel like dropping another grand on the stamp and suppressor. Shooting unsuppressed doesn't make you a dickhead though lol.

daniel87
06-06-16, 08:24

"Hey you female liberal anti gun CPAs from Manhatten, I hope you had a great time at the gun range. It was going to be a great opportunity to educate you on safe firearms handling and maybe even bring you to our side politically, but the asshole next to us shooting a 7.5" 5.56mm AR pistol with a brake on it kind of ruined your experience and reinforced stereotypes of gun owners being reckless idiots compensating for small dicks."

Just Saturday I converted a woman from Chicago to buying a pistol for her apartment. I was able to do this because I was not surrounded by people like you at the range.

Rifles are loud, really loud, especially indoors.

How about introducing them to handguns on the pistol range instead. Then if they are comfortable with the handgun let them try the rifles next.

Most indoor ranges have pistol and rifle

A few of the pistol ranges will allow 22lr and sub 300 blk
Try introducing them to the ar platform using those calibers

I have more issue with the deer hunter that brings his 300 winmag and proceeds to sight it in on an indoor range. That is only 25 to 50 yards. They usually have no muzzle device. The ones that do have one use a break.

If an ashat is going bubba bump fire complain to the rso or owners

Im more intrested in showing the uninformed my ar is a tool. My ar maybe louder than a handgun but it is not scary or evil. Semi and bolt is just mechanics

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 08:27
Rifles are loud, really loud, especially indoors. How about introducing them to handguns on the pistol range instead. Then if they are comfortable with the handgun let them try the rifles next.

I've never been to a range that separated pistols and rifles - ever. Sure, they have a pistol side and a rifle side but it ends up being "I know you want to shoot rifles, but the pistol side has an opening. That cool?" so FAL dude or the "7.5" AR pistol" guy shows up right next to you.

P.S. Friends don't let friends shoot unsuppressed. AAC 556SD $615 w/ shipping, mount, and tax stamp.

TAZ
06-06-16, 08:31

You're right, one shouldn't have to remove or silence a brake. However, we also shouldn't be self centered fools either. How hard is it to ask for a lane away from others?

daniel87
06-06-16, 08:50
I've never been to a range that separated pistols and rifles - ever. Sure, they have a pistol side and a rifle side but it ends up being "I know you want to shoot rifles, but the pistol side has an opening. That cool?" so FAL dude or the "7.5" AR pistol" guy shows up right next to you.

P.S. Friends don't let friends shoot unsuppressed. AAC 556SD $615 w/ shipping, mount, and tax stamp.

Agreed on the suppressed

You cant win with indoor ranges is warm and dry and somewhat cleaner but way louder than oudoors

Indoors then 300 winmag fudd is worse than a 308 rifle

556BlackRifle
06-06-16, 09:15

I've had that exact scenario happen to me. After my father passed away I took my sons to the range so they could shoot his Colt Gold Cup in honor of his memory. Some asshole walked into our [wide open] range, parked his ass right next to us and started blasting away with his AK. Pelted my boys with hot brass and muzzle blast. I had to exercise extreme restraint. He moved but didn't like it. Our day was ruined.

nml
06-06-16, 10:16
I would find outdoor range. Even with lane dividers those muzzle devices are not designed to be shot indoors around others.

Rogue556
06-06-16, 15:01
Many of the manufacturers that offer brakes now have qd blast diffusers that are significantly less expensive than a can, if you're unwilling to go suppressed. Now, they don't reduce the noise obviously, but they do push it forward and not straight to the left and right. It's still loud but much less obnoxious. I have land so I typically don't have to worry about it. The range I went to this past week was the only indoor range I've seen that had separate areas for rifle and handgun (which was nice, but you paid for it). Rifle was 100 yards with cameras set up at 99 to see groups, and handgun was your standard 25 yards. We both had SF brakes and I had a blast diffuser. After a few rounds of that nonsense, my buddy decided to swap the defuser between our guns as we used them. He's now got a Warden on order for his. We were alone on the rifle range FWIW. Brakes indoors are horrible and anyone who says otherwise is arguing for the sake of argument.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

wildcard600
06-06-16, 15:48

As soon as supressors are available OTC, I will have some.

zecropper
06-06-16, 16:54

Yeeeeep

Hmac
06-06-16, 16:58

Agreed. I have them in my "nice to have" category, but not nice enough to rush right out for photographs/fingerprints/Sheriff's signature and play the NFA guessing game as to how they want their forms filled out this week.

Ryno12
06-06-16, 17:11
Gosh, I really take for granted having my own property to shoot on... and I still shoot 100% suppressed.

Agreed. I have them in my "nice to have" category, but not nice enough to rush right out for photographs/fingerprints/Sheriff's signature and play the NFA guessing game as to how they want their forms filled out this week.
All unnecessary with a trust & a purchase from Silencer Shop... for now anyway.
You have SBRs, so you're already playing the NFA game. Cans aren't any different, in fact, I find they're less hassle than an F1 SBR.

JC5188
06-06-16, 17:27
Rifles are loud, really loud, especially indoors.

How about introducing them to handguns on the pistol range instead. Then if they are comfortable with the handgun let them try the rifles next.

Most indoor ranges have pistol and rifle

A few of the pistol ranges will allow 22lr and sub 300 blk
Try introducing them to the ar platform using those calibers

I have more issue with the deer hunter that brings his 300 winmag and proceeds to sight it in on an indoor range. That is only 25 to 50 yards. They usually have no muzzle device. The ones that do have one use a break.

If an ashat is going bubba bump fire complain to the rso or owners

Im more intrested in showing the uninformed my ar is a tool. My ar maybe louder than a handgun but it is not scary or evil. Semi and bolt is just mechanics

Why would you have more issue with the deer rifle? Which is, quite literally a tool. He's getting on paper to go out and use the tool in the very fashion it was intended.

nml
06-06-16, 17:34
Wonder how far he is shooting his deer to want a 300WM...

Hmac
06-06-16, 17:34
You have SBRs, so you're already playing the NFA game. Cans aren't any different, in fact, I find they're less hassle than an F1 SBR.

I'd buy a suppressor tomorrow if I could just head over to Cabelas and pick one up over the counter. But I already played the NFA game and I'm just not that crazy about playing it again relative to my interest level. Likewise, not interested enough at this point to create a trust.

I'm not opposed to suppressors, nor playing the NFA game...I'll likely get one sometime if and when I finally feel the burning need.

zecropper
06-06-16, 17:35
Why would you have more issue with the deer rifle? Which is, quite literally a tool. He's getting on paper to go out and use the tool in the very fashion it was intended.

I think he is saying he doesn't care about shooting next to an AR with a brake as much as he does a high powered deer rifle.

daniel87
06-06-16, 17:38
I think he is saying he doesn't care about shooting next to an AR with a brake as much as he does a high powered deer rifle.

You got it.

HKGuns
06-06-16, 17:42

This reflects my thoughts on the subject although I do find brakes annoying, mostly because they tend to make me flinch.

If I start flinching I will just wait until there is a lull in the action.

JC5188
06-06-16, 17:51

My local range keeps the two separate...no exceptions. And they are in separate rooms as well.

I agree with you about the brakes. They can damned sure discourage a newbie...especially a girly-girl like the one in your pic.

I don't understand why it's so difficult to be considerate of others. If I'm already there, shooting a shorty unsuppressed, well get in line. I'll be done soon enough. But if people are there enjoying themselves, I'm not gonna uncork and ruin their day because "fvck 'em"

JC5188
06-06-16, 17:56

Next to an AR with a brake indoors is far louder than a bolt rifle. In any caliber, in my experience.

TheNegativeOne
06-06-16, 18:01
I pay to shoot. Its $20.00 an hour. Put your muffs and plugs in. Im shooting as much as possible in my hour.

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 18:24
I pay to shoot. Its $20.00 an hour. Put your muffs and plugs in. Im shooting as much as possible in my hour.

Funny. When I saw you replied to this thread I knew you'd be that guy.

I've got a buddy with a FAL pistol with a brake on it. We bring it just to "Retaliate" against folks like you who think your ARs are loud. We also "trip" over your bags and sweep all the brass into your stall while you're focused on shooting.

It goes both ways bro.

zecropper
06-06-16, 18:41

I've got a buddy with a FAL pistol with a brake on it. We bring it just to "Retaliate" against folks like you who think your ARs are loud. We also "trip" over your bags and sweep all the brass into your stall while you're focused on shooting.

It goes both ways bro.

Sounds like you have a worse attitude about it than the guys running the brake at the range. Don't be such an ass about it.

zecropper
06-06-16, 18:44
Next to an AR with a brake indoors is far louder than a bolt rifle. In any caliber, in my experience.

They are definitely loud. I've been next to a couple. Just wanted to get the general consensus. Looks like I'll be leaving the birdcage on when I go to that indoor joint and toss the brake on when I head outdoors.

Hmac
06-06-16, 18:46
That's how we play this "loud rifle" game? We retaliate with high school crap?

jpmuscle
06-06-16, 18:49
Are you really surprised? Ha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 18:52

This thread is way off the rails, and for that I apologize (It is entirely my fault)

I should specify that my post was directed only toward TNO and of course if some dude is just MYOB shooting his obnoxiously braked pistol we aren't going to do anything. However, when I'm already at the range and someone shows up and unpacks a beast and I politely ask him to move a bench or two down (on an empty range, even offering to help move their stuff) so I can facilitate learning of an inexperienced shooter and they huff and puff and say "Blah blah Randy Savage blah blah free country blah blah $20 to shoot" then yeah, imma **** with his shit. I'd steal his girl too, but they never have one. I never mess with anyone's car though. That's crossing a line.

However, I'll just let this be and excuse myself from further discussions. OP doesn't seem to enjoy me much anyway :no:

Hmac
06-06-16, 19:10
Are you really surprised? Ha

Well, yeah...I am, kind of.

SeriousStudent
06-06-16, 19:24
Either help the OP or stop launching turds in his thread.

zecropper
06-06-16, 19:25
Either help the OP or stop launching turds in his thread.

No big deal man. I got my answers, if you feel the need to close the thread by all means fire it up. I don't want to facilitate a flame war.

Caribe
06-06-16, 19:37
I have had some rifles next to me with brakes . I dont mind it at all. I like the distractions and noises. They blast, i draw and blast my target. :cool:

Microadventure
06-06-16, 19:53
wow.

I lived in California before they came up with the 2 law system ( If you want to, you better not. If you don't want to you damn well better ) back then the Mojave Desert was a shooting range. just be sure you fired away from other folks and you were golden

Now I live in NM and it's still like that here. I just can't imagine having to go to a place that has rules and enforcers and lanes. the range is five minutes out of town in any direction.

zecropper
06-06-16, 22:03
wow.

I lived in California before they came up with the 2 law system ( If you want to, you better not. If you don't want to you damn well better ) back then the Mojave Desert was a shooting range. just be sure you fired away from other folks and you were golden

Now I live in NM and it's still like that here. I just can't imagine having to go to a place that has rules and enforcers and lanes. the range is five minutes out of town in any direction.

Not much of that freedom over here in NC haha.

FishTaco
06-06-16, 22:48
Go to an outdoor range, it's obnoxious and won't help your long term hearing.

This. I rarely do obnoxious things, particularly ones that can exacerbate a medical condition, because I think I can.

zecropper
06-06-16, 22:56
This. I rarely do obnoxious things, particularly ones that can exacerbate a medical condition, because I think I can.

Yeah there's a couple outdoor places within an hour. But when my rifle comes in I'm not gonna be able to wait to shoot it so I'll just shoot it at the indoor place with just the A2 hider it comes with haha.

Five5six
06-06-16, 23:46
While sometimes obnoxious, im not going to tell you what to do with the gun YOU payed for. Put a break or shoot supressed, as long as youre having fun.

TheChunkNorris
06-07-16, 04:00
I firmly believe that if you're not a 3 gun competitor or using a brake as a "sacrificial" baffle while shooting suppressed... then there's no need to shoot a brake on a 5.56. With that said, I purposely carry an extra set of foamies. I can put them in and use double hearing protection in the event someone else at the range decided to shoot something like that.

Swstock
06-07-16, 05:46

It's a gun range, not library. A brake is a part of a gun, you should expect guns to have gun parts and to have loud guns at gun ranges.

Its sad how disagreements have to turn personal instantly.

Plus, I don't see how liberals from Manhattan are shooting suppressed or SBRs. You can't have either here.

The OP doesn't mention it being an SBR. If it was, he would probably have mentioned it so I gave my opinion based on it being your average AR.

zecropper
06-07-16, 09:04
It's a gun range, not library. A brake is a part of a gun, you should expect guns to have gun parts and to have loud guns at gun ranges.

Its sad how disagreements have to turn personal instantly.

Plus, I don't see how liberals from Manhattan are shooting suppressed or SBRs. You can't have either here.

The OP doesn't mention it being an SBR. If it was, he would probably have mentioned it so I gave my opinion based on it being your average AR.

Yessir. Just a regular 16 inch barrel AR.

And for the post above yours. I do plan on getting into competition shooting at some point.

CPM
06-07-16, 09:25
I firmly believe that if you're not a 3 gun competitor or using a brake as a "sacrificial" baffle while shooting suppressed... then there's no need to shoot a brake on a 5.56. With that said, I purposely carry an extra set of foamies so I can put in and use double hearing protection in the event someone else at the range decided to shoot something like that.

This. And it's crazy annoying.

nml
06-07-16, 12:51
ChunkNorris speaks the truth.

OP just shoot w A2 until you are making your 3gun setup. Not that 5.56 is a big deal but brake won't be a crutch for training. And I'd rather shoot down a hallway/self defense w A2 on.

rero360
06-07-16, 20:13
I run a Surefire brake on my home defense gun due to the fact that here in CA in order to use 30 round mags and a normal magazine release you have to set the AR up to be featureless (no pistol grip, adjustable butt stock, and no flash hider) I have plenty of A2 flash hiders, a Surefire FH, and a BCM but they all are obviously flash hiders or have FHing capabilities and thus verboten on a featureless build. Eventually I'll get around to getting a Warden for the brake for when the gun is being used as the HD gun now that they are readily available. Probably should look into the stupid CA legalities of that as well.

TheNegativeOne
06-07-16, 20:18

It goes both ways bro.
I got a Saiga 308, with a brake. Guess what I did today, I shot my Palmetto state A2. It was awesome and flawless. Thanks for following me, I appreciate fans.

SeriousStudent
06-07-16, 20:52
Guess what? When a Mod or staff member says knock it off, we actually mean it.

Go figure.

zecropper
06-07-16, 21:04
So does the A2 just unscrew with a regular wrench from the barrel if it isn't pinned or welded?

Literally my first personal AR so sorry for stupid questions

Microadventure
06-07-16, 21:17
In Re silencers: thinking nice thoughts about retiring in November, except I can't afford health insurance. need a security clearance to remain employed until I pull the pin. too close to the finish line to trip over some silly thing like something bogus comes up during an NFA check. why take a chance that the piņata turns out to be a wasps nest 6 months away from retirement?

they should never have been made illegal.

twm134
06-07-16, 21:21
So does the A2 just unscrew with a regular wrench from the barrel if it isn't pinned or welded?

A 3/4" wrench will work just fine.

Swstock
06-07-16, 21:30

Get a Geissele reaction rod and a few dozen crush washers if youre planning on swapping muzzle devices for different ranges.

It beats removing and reinstalling optics.

Or since you're using a VG6 brake, get a VG6 Cage.

http://www.vg6precision.com/muzzle-devices/60-cage-device.html

Uprange41
06-07-16, 21:32

It's held on with a crush washer, which is a one-time use deal. If you don't have a vise block or reaction rod type tool, you're going to have issues removing it.

I won't say you do or don't need a brake, but if you're really want one for outdoors and a hider for inside, either look at one of the options out there with a QD shroud to keep things neighborly (Surefire Warden comes to mind), or maybe look at a combo device that errs on the side of a hider more than a comp/brake. Something like the BCM Mod 0 will be a great flash hider, give noticeable compensation, but not be overly concussive indoors.

Actually changing an entire muzzle device depending on the range you're going to go to is going to get tiresome.

zecropper
06-07-16, 21:36
It's held on with a crush washer, which is a one-time use deal. If you don't have a vise block or reaction rod type tool, you're going to have issues removing it.

I won't say you do or don't need a brake, but if you're really want one for outdoors and a hider for inside, either look at one of the options out there with a QD shroud to keep things neighborly (Surefire Warden comes to mind), or maybe look at a combo device that errs on the side of a hider more than a comp/brake. Something like the BCM Mod 0 will be a great flash hider, give noticeable compensation, but not be overly concussive indoors.

Actually changing an entire muzzle device depending on the range you're going to go to is going to get tiresome.

Well the VG6 gamma I have is a hybrid comp/brake and isn't really that loud from what I read. But the PWS one my buddy is sending me off his SCAR is apparently a brake/flash hider but he said its loud as hell haha.

I guess I'll see once I get everything in.

Uprange41
06-07-16, 22:00
Well the VG6 gamma I have is a hybrid comp/brake and isn't really that loud from what I read. But the PWS one my buddy is sending me off his SCAR is apparently a brake/flash hider but he said its loud as hell haha.

I guess I'll see once I get everything in.

The PWS FSC is a fairly concussive device. It's not bad, but it is noticeable compared to the newer designs (even outdoors, feels nasally to the shooter). I really like mine, but I wouldn't want it indoors just for myself, let alone others around.

All this talk makes me want to jump into a Warcomp/Warden setup...

bjxds
06-07-16, 22:08

Funny as shit, the pistol is suppressed. I can't remember the last time I shot indoors.

SeriousStudent
06-07-16, 22:41

Something that works really well is a tappet wrench. I picked an old Craftsman one on eBay for a few bucks. Robb Jensen, the armorer at VA Arms recommended that several years ago. It works like a champ.

OrbitalE
06-08-16, 01:03
The PWS FSC is a fairly concussive device. It's not bad, but it is noticeable compared to the newer designs (even outdoors, feels nasally to the shooter). I really like mine, but I wouldn't want it indoors just for myself, let alone others around.

All this talk makes me want to jump into a Warcomp/Warden setup...

Naked Warcomp indoors sucks.

Swstock
06-08-16, 06:21
Just want to make sure this doesn't go unnoticed.

The OP has a VG6 brake. They make a CAGE for it.

Hmac
06-08-16, 07:21

I use a Hammer tool, which has a cutout for a muzzle device. Otherwise, SS is correct that a tapper wrench works well because it's thinner. Seems like all my open-end wrenches are just a millimeter too wide to fit most of my muzzle devices without scarfing them up.

I always use a Reaction Rod and crush washers, both of which work great. You don't have to use a Reaction Rod...the torque needed for a crush washer is the same as what you would use torqueing down a MD using shims, so any kind of receiver block would be fine. Much easier to time the device using a crush washer though...literally a 3 minute install and easy to get timed without futzing.

zecropper
06-08-16, 07:52
Just want to make sure this doesn't go unnoticed.

The OP has a VG6 brake. They make a CAGE for it.

Dude this is clutch. Thank you!

JG007
06-08-16, 19:33
look like a damn professional and get a flash hider, sheesh!

joeyjoe
06-09-16, 03:44
Though there is some lateral muzzle movement (its not the flattest shooting comp), in my experience, the BCM comp produces only slightly more blast/concussion than the A2 flash hider.
Anyone else have a similar experience? Ive been fairly pleased with the BCM comps in the concussion and flash suppression categories. Ive used the BCM comp on indoor ranges and, while loud (duh), it doesn't seem to be awful.

zecropper
06-10-16, 10:13
look like a damn professional and get a flash hider, sheesh!

Don't worry I have one of those coming. My buddy sent me a bunch of AR parts he had laying around, some type of flash hider, a PWS brake off his 16S, gunfighter charging handle and a few other things.

VIP3R 237
06-10-16, 11:02
Hell any rifle is loud in an indoor range, even the A2 is loud as heck.

JG007
06-11-16, 21:31
yeah but they are very different

At a stall in an indoor range I was shooting a couple ARs , checking optics or something, and fired one and immediately thought 'wtf? did I pick up my 308, hot round, etc? It was a gamer brake I was given and a huge difference than the hybrid muz device I had fired prior.

And Ive worked with cops using SBR's with brakes that thought suppressors were novelty, surprised me because he had some good military experience, I told him id bet a dollar that if he fired that in a room, hallway, or vehicle that he and any other LE around him might have permanent hearing damage

bad aim
06-12-16, 08:56
I shot my 16" MRP with the PA AFAB at an indoor range and it wasn't bad at all-- I'm extremely pleased with the performance. Practically little to no muzzle rise and the gun felt great.

Now, the dudes next to me were shooting a SBR with a AAC brakeout, and that was an interesting experience.

Torquetard
06-30-16, 18:30
I like zeroing indoors because no wind. I try not to fire too fast as well, but if someone's pistol is launching brass all the way to the roof and bouncing it back off my head then my personal rule is to start double tapping

mark5pt56
07-01-16, 05:16
There is no reason why one couldn't go to the FFL and do a point of sale on a SBR or suppressor. Pay the 200, pass a check, who cares if you do the fingerprints and have a picture taken if a requirement. The end result is the same.
And I agree-be considerate to your fellow shooters.

fallenromeo
07-01-16, 14:05
I don't believe you should have to change your setup for the sake of others. I would not remove my muzzle device before going to the range just to possibly make someone else happy. That being said though, there is no reason to not be considerate to your fellow shooters. Don't take the "f*ck em" attitude. If you have the option to go to an outdoor range, do that. If you have the option, try to get a lane as far away from others when shooting indoors. As ChunkNorris said, he brings an extra pair of foamies in case so he can double up. Those things are ridiculously cheap. If you want to be considerate, bring a couple extra pairs of those to give to your fellow shooters. A little consideration can go a long ways

Ned Christiansen
07-31-16, 00:35
Well this is just my opinion. Not meaning to offend anyone.

Brakes are fine for competition or any kind of shooting where other people are not nearby. Anything else, they have no place on an AR15. No place at all.

I've been to classes where brakes were present. Most guys that had them did not appreciate the hazard to other shooters because the full negative effect is not apparent to the shooter. Other guys knew they were disturbing and disrupting, blowing out line mates, and either thought it was totally worth it / upped the cool factor, or actually thought it was funny. Sometimes, usually, the brakemeister gets enough scorn from other shooters that he starts to get it. It's not funny, it's not cool, and it's beyond impolite: using a brake in these situations puts other people at risk, most of all their hearing. "Well they should have better hearing protection" is not the right answer. That would be like showing up at the black tie dinner, farting up the room and telling everyone they shoulda brought clothespins.

I wear 29db plugs and good muffs and these damned guns are still too loud, even with a standard flash hider. When I'm on the line with 15-20 shooters on each side of me it is no auditory picnic. I'm certain I've suffered hearing damage even with doubled-up hearing protection just from the volume and proximity of it. And I do this a lot less than many people, the day-in, day-out training people whose entire living is gunfire. Those that I know, that I have discussed it with, also do not appreciate extra, unnecessary noise.

In the Patrol Rifle classes I'm part of, no brakes. If you have a brake, we will replace it with an A1 flash hider for the duration of the class or you can just buy it for $5 (thanks to M&A Parts). If you have an RRA comp or Mini-Y comp that is ban-era and pinned and welded, I have made collars that will set-screw over them for the duration of the class. But we're just not going to allow anyone to put other shooters at risk, or even inconvenience them, or put them at a disadvantage so a braked shooter can have a perceived advantage.

"Advantage"..... I fail to see how double the noise and great flashing balls of fire are an advantage in most applications that are M4C relevant. Again, for competition, maybe prairie dog shooting yeah. But "tactical" and "muzzle brake / compensator" do not go together.

I have experienced some of the devices that are said to be less offensive. They are offensive; others are just more offensive. I have not been around every muzzle brake shroud on the market but the few I have seen, while they may have mitigated the side-directed overpressure, still created tremendous flash and noise (the flash IS the noise from what I have seen). So I have to ask, why spend the money on the brake and then spend the money on something to diminish its positive effect and not its negative effect? How about just not having it all in the first place? Why not have a quieter, safer muzzle device that happens to also be one of the most effective flash hiders, and, by they way, doesn't cost big money and may even have been original equipment on your carbine to start with?

For my part it's uncool, impolite and unprofessional to subject other people to noise, flash, blast hazard or flatulence.

Ned Christiansen
07-31-16, 14:00
Brake prohibition verbiage:

"Muzzle brakes will not be allowed in class due to the noise issue and blast hazard to other shooters. A muzzle brake that also serves as a quick-detach mount for a suppressor is OK as long as the student is shooting with the suppressor in place. Muzzle brake will be defined as a device having a blast face with a hole in it that is just big enough to pass the bullet and having the design intent of redirecting blast and gasses in some direction other than out the front. We will have A1 and A2 flash hiders on hand to loan or students can purchase them for $5. An armorer will be present to make the change."

AppalachianThunder
07-31-16, 19:29
The BCM Mod 0 doesn't seem much louder than the A2 flash hider. I had a buddy shoot my rifle today, while I stood beside him, because I was curious about the blast and noise effect on other shooters. I really didn't feel or hear much of a difference, if any, between the Mod0 and the A2.

Also, I was only wearing 33db plugs, no muffs.

joeyjoe
07-31-16, 21:10
I agree with AppalachianThunder. As they say, there is no free lunch, particularly when it comes to muzzle devices. The BCM GF comp is a fairly mild comp. While it does moderate recoil, its not going to be a muzzle completely flat/no lateral movement type of device. The return on that trait is that the device does NOT produce significantly more blast than the A2. These are my subjective observations, of course, but i don't feel that the BCM comp is particularly abrasive.

Jesse H
07-31-16, 21:58
And Ive worked with cops using SBR's with brakes that thought suppressors were novelty, surprised me because he had some good military experience, I told him id bet a dollar that if he fired that in a room, hallway, or vehicle that he and any other LE around him might have permanent hearing damage

We've got guys like that on our team. One guy got a Lantac Dragon then a handful of others did too. We only shoot outdoors and I can't stand being next to them.

I went ahead and bought Peltor Comtacs because I want to preserve my ears if one of these guys shoots inside a house serving a warrant.

jpmuscle
07-31-16, 22:01
I've got guys like that on our team. One guy got a Lantac Dragon then a handful of others did too. We only shoot outdoors and I can't stand being next to them.

I went ahead and bought Peltor Comtacs because I want preserve my ears when one of these guys shoots inside a house when we're serving a warrant.
That's just being ignorant in the face of your duties IMO, especially If suppressors are not an option.

Ned Christiansen
07-31-16, 22:07
I will agree that it seems like there is a direct relationship between comp / brake effectiveness and noise level.

cd228
08-01-16, 05:33
I agree that some comps are downright nasty on adjacent shooters. I used to spend a lot of money on permanently pinned battle comps prior to switching to BCMs (FUAC), so that I wouldn't screw with fellow shooters. I never got a complaint on an indoor range or in a class. However, I would look at my neighbors ear pro indoors, if they were wearing the el cheapo foam one I wouldn't break out the AR or Shotgun till they were gone.

Does anyone make a deflector that will go over a BCM comp or standard A2 comp? We used to have a couple GEMTECH suppressors in the arms room that would go on over the A2 and then the threaded collar would hold it in place. I think a similar setup on a deflector might help mitigate the impact on other shooters.

Adrenaline_6
08-01-16, 07:42
I figure as long as people aren't complaining or giving you dirty looks, you should be fine. If so, have a little consideration and try and give some distance. Its all about common courtesy. If everyone had that, the world would be a much better place. How would the new AFAB and EFAB fit in this situation? Still has A2 flash hiding abilities with some compensation. Not sure how it compares as far as increased noise.

nml
08-01-16, 15:19
The BCM Mod 0 doesn't seem much louder than the A2 flash hider.Probably still louder. Have trained indoors unsuppressed and guy next to me was complaining. It's designed to reroute gases to the side.

AppalachianThunder
08-01-16, 15:51
Probably still louder. Have trained indoors unsuppressed and guy next to me was complaining. It's designed to reroute gases to the side.

It very well could be louder, I just didn't notice a difference. Years of shooting without earpro has probably done some damage, therefore I'm probably not the best judge of noise levels. I completely forgot this thread was about shooting indoors. An unpleasant experience no matter what's on your muzzle.

wildcard600
08-01-16, 16:32
The BCM Mod 0 doesn't seem much louder than the A2 flash hider. I had a buddy shoot my rifle today, while I stood beside him, because I was curious about the blast and noise effect on other shooters. I really didn't feel or hear much of a difference, if any, between the Mod0 and the A2.

Also, I was only wearing 33db plugs, no muffs.

I find the BCM mod 0 to be quite a bit more offensive than the A2. My fiance has a rifle identical to mine with the exception of the mod 0 comp and it is both louder and has increased muzzle blast. Not a huge difference but it is definitely noticeable. Going to replace the mod 0 with with an A2 at some point.

Sparky5019
08-01-16, 17:08
So here in NC where I'm at, the closest range and the FFL I use is indoors and they obviously allow Rifles to be shot. I have a couple muzzle brakes coming (VG6 Gamma and a PWS FSC556) and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on using those inside. I do know they suck for people next to you but should I just not even bother going to that range to use it? Or just go and warn the people next to me, or just find an outdoor range here?

What's your guys take on it?

Edit. Probably the wrong section. Sorry about that.

Check out Rowan County Wildlife. They're outdoor and not too far from you.

http://www.rcwanc.com

JulyAZ
08-01-16, 20:04
I never hated somebody more then the time I was at a indoor range next to a guy shooting a full auto scar 17 with a MB on it.

dsk
08-01-16, 21:19
The local indoor range near me allows calibers up to 7.62x51mm. Once I was there when some guy opened up with an M1A. You want to know what loud is? Standing next to that guy! Plugs and muffs still weren't enough, as the concussion and sound waves passed right through my skull.

Falar
08-01-16, 23:54
The local indoor range near me allows calibers up to 7.62x51mm. Once I was there when some guy opened up with an M1A. You want to know what loud is? Standing next to that guy! Plugs and muffs still weren't enough, as the concussion and sound waves passed right through my skull.

The first rifle I ever bought was a DSA FAL with 16" barrel and brake about 2 years before the AWB ended and the only place nearby for me to shoot it was an indoor range. Everyone hated me and when I got in the prone to zero it in the blast was hitting the cinder block wall and partially redirected back to me. Intense.

Later on OUTDOORS a friend of mine forgot to put his earplugs in right before I let it rip and it hurt him bad enough to fall to the ground grabbing his head.

zecropper
08-02-16, 13:10
I found a nice outdoor range here in Shelby. about a 50 minute drive for me but it's 10 bucks for all day and all of the ranges so it's nice. Went and zero'd my vortex 1-4. Range master sat down with a spotting scope and reeled me in. Great place. And the VG6 Gamma556 brake I put on was super worth it.

Those in the Charlotte/Mooresville Nc area should check Em out. Foothills shooting complex

Obligatory pic of AR

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160802/cbba6927c3b45f7a5b34c1d74add63d0.jpg

Ned Christiansen
08-03-16, 21:51
For the RRA brake that they put on so many guns targeted to the LE market:
http://i.imgur.com/emvNKr7.jpg

For the Mini Y comp which was once, but fortunately no more, showing up in classes:
http://i.imgur.com/h6aiq07.jpg

And shouldst thou rammeth a Mini Y Comp up the behind of thy JP Comp, thine ears and the ears of those nearest you shall roast in the fires of hell.
http://i.imgur.com/yzQTeEO.jpg

mark5pt56
08-04-16, 07:12
Closing this as it's going down the path of no return