PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest thing I (or you) have ever done with a gun (short of an ND/AD)

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 16:56
This isn't about other people. This is about you.

I'll start - in OIF I was doing a drill with 5 other guys. We all had 249s and were advancing on evil paper targets around barricades.

I apparently missed the part about going STRAIGHT toward the targets. I felt it was only natural when advancing toward the enemy to make use of cover and concealment which were scattered all over the place.

As I ran diagonally I noticed there were strange cracks in the air near me. When I got to the first row of barriers I realized no one else was shooting anymore. I turned around to see what was happening and at that very second a salty sergeant (he was really salty. He had been recalled for OIF and they put him on a fob without a chow hall or running water when places like Al Asad had Burger King and Cinnabon) ran up to me yelling a number of expletives I don't remember other than "stupid", "get yourself killed", and "you can be tall or dumb on a machine gun range but not both"

Upon my return to the rear I had realized how closely I came to death. My daypack had a bullet hole in it!!

They did not let me shoot the AT4 that day

MegademiC
06-06-16, 17:14
Details, man! Haha.

Uspsa match, I thought I heard my spare mag drop and turned to look... 180 DQ. I've since bought better mag pouches.

I also used to bump fire a lot... but I did it responsibly, at least(like that makes it any better).

Kain
06-06-16, 17:18
Sold a gun once that I wish I hadn't sold down the road. That was pretty stupid.

Also, failing to buy god only knows how many other guns and letting good deals and really nice examples slip through my fingers. That was really ****ing stupid. Makes Euro look like a goddamn genius that does.

sevenhelmet
06-06-16, 17:38
I left a loaded revolver out on the dresser once after a routine weapon check... with my kids in the house. Thankfully, they were little enough to not notice. I found it when I went to bed that night. Avoiding distraction is key!

One time after lights out I thought I heard a noise downstairs, so I grabbed the pistol, racked the slide, and went downstairs looking for trouble in nothing but my underwear. It was the dryer, which I myself had started right before going to bed. The whole time, my dog and my wife were looking at me like I was crazy.

MountainRaven
06-06-16, 18:03
In the spirit of the event that sparked this...

Bought one of the first SCAR 16Ss that came into an LGS. I was still fairly new to this whole black rifle thing - and to actually owning guns in general - and had been using a LaRue Tactical mount for my solitary CompM4S. The only rifle I'd previously mounted it on was an LWRCi M6A1-S and hadn't needed to adjust the LaRue mount at all - nor did I need to when I had used an LT mount for a weapon light for the same rifle. Anyway, SCAR 16S, my third black rifle (after an M&P15T and the M6A1-S) and only the second one I'd mounted LT stuff to....

Get the rifle, try mounting the light and sight and immediately notice the sight is loose. Call FN. Explain what I'm using and that it doesn't fit. And that I hadn't had any issues with the exact same mount before hand. Get a call tag from FN, box the rifle up, and send it back to FN.

The rifle's gone for about two months, I gave the FN customer service rep a call and he reports that FN is apparently desperately trying to figure out what's wrong with this rifle such that an LT mount won't work with it.

Not long after that, I discover (through reading a forum) that LT mounts need to be adjusted to fit - sometimes they're tight, sometimes they're loose - that's what the little wrench they come with is for.

So I call the customer service rep and get his voice mail and profusely apologize for wasting his time and FN's time and admit that it was, "operator headspace error."

Got the rifle back a week or two later and didn't have a single problem after that - nor have I, with any of the other products I've ever bought from FN.

Big A
06-06-16, 18:13
Got my first AR. Immediately hated the standard grip and decided Magpul was the shizznit. Instead of separating the lower from the upper and inverting the lower I decided to do it the hard way (no, it wasn't loaded). Get the grip off and heard something bounce off the workbench but thought nothing of it, installed Magpul awesomeness and for some reason the selector switch moved about freely. Found some weird looking spring on the work bench and decided it seemed important so I hung on to it...

KTR03
06-06-16, 18:17
two:
1) when traveling in a friends car I took off my holstered Kahr and put it under the seat. We were going into a guns forbidden zone (with metal detectors). When I got out I forgot it was there and it road around in his car for a couple of weeks. Not cool...
2) when I was young and desperately wanted more rounds in my Glock, I added a mag extension, trimmed the spring, and went to the range. Well I had a stoppage and rather than put my light down, I did the tap of the tap rack on my thigh. I knocked the base plate off, drove the spring about half an inch into my leg, and heard the sounds of 21 9mm rounds hitting the floor in the dark. Don't have baseplates to this day.

Eurodriver
06-06-16, 18:18
In the spirit of the event that sparked this...

Got the rifle back a week or two later and didn't have a single problem after that - nor have I, with any of the other products I've ever bought from FN.

Haha, yes. I stole the idea verbatim ;)

That's hilarious though. Hilarious.

MountainRaven
06-06-16, 18:34
Got my first AR. Immediately hated the standard grip and decided Magpul was the shizznit. Instead of separating the lower from the upper and inverting the lower I decided to do it the hard way (no, it wasn't loaded). Get the grip off and heard something bounce off the workbench but thought nothing of it, installed Magpul awesomeness and for some reason the selector switch moved about freely. Found some weird looking spring on the work bench and decided it seemed important so I hung on to it...

I think everybody's done that once. Probably only once. Maybe not the first time, but usually one of the first times.

I have the same story except with a TangoDown Battlegrip (this would have been before Magpul was making grips, I believe) and I very rapidly realized what had happened. Of course, my safety detent spring was lost in carpet. Desperately called and drove around town trying to find someone who had one on hand. Couldn't find one. Resign myself to having to buy one on the internet. Go home, sit down, look at the carpet, "Oh, hey, that looks like its the same size as the spring I just lost."

Haha, yes. I stole the idea verbatim ;)

That's hilarious though. Hilarious.

I noticed. :p

Firefly
06-06-16, 18:38
Attempted to put together an SR-25.

It worked out but it was a lot of sad moments and dashed optimism

jerrysimons
06-06-16, 18:44
I was about 10 years old shooting at an illegal dump site out in the country where people left old dryers, couches and junk. After taking aim at an old sign on a U post with my Ruger MK 1 .22 pistol I fired. I felt the wind on my face as the ricochet hissed by my ear. I quickly realized that was the stupidest thing I had ever done and still is to this day.

SeriousStudent
06-06-16, 19:05
Once upon a time, I bought my ex a pistol.

Big A
06-06-16, 19:07
2) when I was young and desperately wanted more rounds in my Glock, I added a mag extension, trimmed the spring, and went to the range. Well I had a stoppage and rather than put my light down, I did the tap of the tap rack on my thigh. I knocked the base plate off, drove the spring about half an inch into my leg, and heard the sounds of 21 9mm rounds hitting the floor in the dark. Don't have baseplates to this day.

Got my first Glock, G23, to be my do all gun. Bought a cheap Galco sto-n-go holster but for some reason I decided Mexican carry was good enough for the spare G22 mag with a factory +2 base plate. One night leaving a restaurant about halfway to the car I feel something slide down my jorts then I hear a thunk followed by the sound of a bouncing spring and 17 180gr .40S&W rounds in a parking lot. I found about 12 of them but the spring and base plate are MIA to this day.

donlapalma
06-06-16, 19:14
Just a few days after taking home my very first AR, I was cycling dummy rounds through the rifle familiarizing myself with the controls, dry firing, and what not. Not sure WTF I was doing but I failed to fully cycle and eject a dummy round, had the rifle oriented on its side enough that when I let the bolt forward it took the dummy round and jammed it ABOVE the gas tube. I had no idea that the dummy round did not eject so when I saw that the bolt was not fully seated, I cycled the bolt a couple more times which just jammed the dummy round even further. After realizing what happened, I was able to dislodge the dummy round but when I attempted to cycle the bolt it still would not seat fully. I take apart the rifle only to find that the gas tube became misaligned/bent and was striking the bolt carrier key damaging the rim.

So, only DAYS after getting my very first rifle, with not one single round down the barrel, I had to send the rifle back to Colt to get the gas tube and bolt carrier key replaced. Typing that out and thinking about this...it still pisses me off. HA! What a dipshit move.

Firefly
06-06-16, 19:17
Once upon a time, I bought my ex a pistol.

That......

would make quite a country song

Ryno12
06-06-16, 19:44
I bought a Glock.

It's a 10mm though, so I guess it could be worse.

MBtech
06-06-16, 20:22
All of my dumbass attacks with guns have been while hunting back in my younger days. Not any near death experiences but lessons were learned for sure.

I was deer hunting during muzzleloader season one year and was in a really big built tree stand that was actually more like a tree house, I mean you could get up and walk around up in this thing. The hillside I was watching was very steep leading up to a cornfield. A group of does came along and BANG! Perfect shot on probably one of the first 3 or 4 deer I had ever killed. After the shot went off two of them did not run off but stayed right down in front of me on the side of the hill spooked and ready to bolt any second. I was able to reload my muzzleloader quickly and quietly enough to get ready for another shot, all while being amped on adrenalin from one of my first few kills shaking like a leaf. So I'm feelin like a frikin Civil War hero now getting the 50 cal black powder back in action. So I snuck up to the edge of the stand knelt down behind the railing in one stupid ass shooting position on my knees trying not to get busted aiming almost straight down and BANG! My ass flopped over backwards seeing stars with a split open eyebrow and one hell of a shiner on the way from being drilled by the scope. What the hell was I thinking! So meeting back up with my buddies at the truck was quite the embarrassment.

Holy shit! What the hell happened to you!?! Did you shoot the deer or jump out of the tree and fight it with your bare hands!?!

Learned a lot about "eye relief" that day:blink:

26 Inf
06-06-16, 20:37
I guess this qualifies as stupid with a gun.....

I sent a Commander of to the friend of a guy I had met one time at a class to have the whole meal deal done. Should have known it was going to end bad when a month later I finally got a hold of the guy and some of his first words were 'I wish the fvck Mike would quite having every SOB he meets send guns to me.' At that point I told him to box it up and send it back and asked what I owed him for his trouble. This mollified him and he told me no, he'd do the gun, we talked about what it would cost and I told him I'd send a check. 'No, don't do that wait until I'm done and I'll tell you what you owe.' Ding, ding, ding - ignore those alarm bells. Two months later I can't get a hold of the guy so I call the SO to talk to my best friend forever, who I'd met once at a class, and I find out he has moved to work at an SO in Florida. Big move - Idaho to Florida. The guy I was talking to asked what I needed and I told him. He laughed and told me 'Well, BLANK got divorced and is over in Saudi Arabia teaching them how to shoot.' This was before Desert Shield. I still don't have my pistol and BLANK passed away a year or so ago. Up to 2008 that was the worst I'd been fvcked.

Hank6046
06-06-16, 22:37
My family owns some 90+ acres of hunting land in almost Canada Minnesota, we went up one fall when the weather was too warm and the wolves were very present, needless to say we saw no deer over a weekend, my cousin and I decide we are going to get some rounds off regardless, I being the guy I am bring my Rem 700 SPS Tactical, (not my hunting gun but I wanted to bring it any way) we had just hung some Trail Cameras up in spots we thought that deer were likely to come down and as we did so my cousin put up a Red Bull can on a tree branch for us to plink at. He had an older 270 Savage and took a few shots with no luck, I bring up my rifle and immediately knock the can down. As we hang the next can he puts up his extremely nice Stealth Cam, with all the bells and whistles, on the branch near by he hangs places an empty water bottle. This time he asks to use my Rifle, in which he takes 3 shots and hits the branch beneath, I wanting to show off my marksmanship in all of its glory, pull up his old savage with a waever scope and take careful aim, fire a single shot which pull about 6 inches left and into his $200 trail camera. I felt like such an asshole.

wildcard600
06-06-16, 23:38
Thought it would be a good idea to remove the firing pin and cycle a few live rounds through my first AR at the range before shooting to verify that they would feed properly.

Everytime I clean that upper and see the gouge marks in the reciever i am reminded how stupid that was.

CPM
06-07-16, 00:43
I was shooting with a civilian friend of mine conducting buddy live fire for the first time for him. Well, as we advance he was naturally more excited than I was and expended his ammo faster than I did advancing slowly about 100 meters. Like a hotshot, because "I've done this a thousand times." I quickly ripped out the magazine from my rifle and tossed it to him so he could keep shooting.

He gets done shooting and we spend the next ten minutes policing brass with our rifles slung. When we reach our vehicles to re-set, I pull my rifle off my back and find that there is still a live round in the chamber, and it is on fire. I still have that exact round to remind me of how stupid I am.

I also left my M4/203 on top of my humvee while spending a glorious month at NTC. I didn't catch it until after my driver had already driven to refuel and there was a sandstorm. I found it in the dirt, halfway between my rent and the fuel point, in the middle of the sandstorm. I am so grateful no one noticed I didn't have my rifle when I was leaving to go look for it.

BoringGuy45
06-07-16, 01:03
I was at a gun club with my friend a number of years back. He had brought along a new gun. I think it was some dumb POS like a Kel Tec RFB or something. Now to give you some reference, the range was in somewhat of a wide cone shape, surrounded by steep hills and sand mounds. On the right side of the cone was the 50 yard section with a tall hill as a backstop. On the left, it went a bit further down range to about 100 to 110 yards. The visibility around 50 yard backstop was somewhat limited. In the midday sun, the glare made it very hard to see down range clearly.

Two guys from another group had just come back from setting up their targets on the 100 yard line. I had just arrived and was looking at my friend's rifle, so I didn't know that there were two more guys setting up their targets down at the 100 yard line. I then pointed the rifle at the 50 yard targets to check out the sights. So I was pointing the gun somewhat away from the 100 yard ones, but still downrange. Now, thankfully the gun wasn't loaded, but as we know, every gun is always loaded.

Suddenly, I hear a guy say, "WHAT THE **** DO YOU ****ING THINK YOU'RE DOING, YOU DUMBASS?" I quickly put the rifle down and look at a guy who walking towards the firing line and is more pissed than I've ever seen anyone in my life. He goes on, "YOU ALMOST GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK! DO YOU HAVE ANY COMMON ****ING SENSE?? DID YOU EVEN CONSIDER LOOKING DOWNRANGE?" I apologize and he tells me to take my apologies and shove them up my ass. My friend then tries to apologize to the guy as neither of us had seen him, and the guy just storms off.

I was so pissed at myself that I just told my friend that today was not a good day to shoot, and I was going to ban myself from the range...possibly forever. And I got in the car and left. I later found out that the guy was even more pissed that I left, and he told my friend that I needed a bigger asshole torn for what I did. I seriously considered giving up all my guns that day, as I felt I didn't have the situational awareness to safely handle them. I decided against that, of course, but I'm still not sure if that was an "Oops, don't do that again," moment or a "Anyone who does that is too dumb to learn from his mistakes," moment. So far, it hasn't happened again in numerous range trips, but that one still haunts me.

SteyrAUG
06-07-16, 01:30
At a private gun club I trusted everyone when the range was called cold. After a couple minutes of unpacking my stuff and because nobody had yet called the range hot or indicated the range was about to go hot I walked forward of the firing line to hang some targets.

As I was walking back I noticed TWO dipshits handling firearms. Right before I could say "WTF?!?" one immediately began to criticize me for being forward of the firing line while people were handling guns.

Turns out he was one of the senior members in charge of the range and was the acting safety officer at the time. Learned that day to NEVER trust anyone with your own safety regardless of how experienced they are. Always assume they are a dumbass and plan accordingly.

I guess it ultimately counts as my fault.

Moose-Knuckle
06-07-16, 02:37
Stupidest?

Would have to be the time a bought an AKS-74 clone from the now defunct Elite Firearms. :mad:

26 Inf
06-07-16, 08:39
I also left my M4/203 on top of my humvee while spending a glorious month at NTC. I didn't catch it until after my driver had already driven to refuel and there was a sandstorm. I found it in the dirt, halfway between my rent and the fuel point, in the middle of the sandstorm. I am so grateful no one noticed I didn't have my rifle when I was leaving to go look for it.

Oh man, that reminds me of something from the past. I'm on the land nav course at Weems Pond and feel the need to plant a loaf. So I cut off my azimuth, set my M16 on the other side of a tree and do my business. I cut back to my azimuth and drive on. About 3-4 minutes later I realize, hey no rifle. Took me about 45 minutes to find that sumbitch.