PDA

View Full Version : Students cancelled, instructor offering 1 on 1. Would you?

FamilyMan
06-07-16, 11:29
I was supposed to take a one day carbine course this week with a few other students. Just got word they all cancelled, but instructor is offering to still hold it for me 1 on 1. Next carbine course they are offering is in the fall.

Is 1 on 1 a good idea, or would I be better served in a class environment?

Zim
06-07-16, 11:35
I can't imagine how one-on-one time with a qualified instructor would in any way be worse than sharing that same time with several other people.

dbain99
06-07-16, 11:41
Jump at the opportunity.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Kain
06-07-16, 11:46
Jump at the opportunity.

This. If he a good instructor there should be no way you don't get a good deal of training from that. I jump on it myself.

FamilyMan
06-07-16, 12:08
The instructor is a recognized/awarded LEO instructor and competitor. I will jump on it in that case. Just curious if there were any downsides.

Kenneth
06-07-16, 12:18
Your gonna shoot more ammo and get to run more drills then what would have happened in the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
06-07-16, 12:32
Jump at the opportunity.

This. Not the same, but this happen with my ccw class and it worked out great, guy ended up covering a lot of extra material with me due to minumum hourly requirements. I'd definately do it. That said I'd probably throw some extra money at him since your his only source, but that's just a personal thing. You should be getting much higher quality of training being 1 on 1 if he's good

bad aim
06-07-16, 12:34
I can't think of any reason a private lesson would be less beneficial than a group setting.

Look at everything else...one-on-one lessons for athletics, musical instruments, etc. are usually always more expensive because you get the instructor's undivided attention and you don't have to worry about anyone else slowing you down, etc.

daniel87
06-07-16, 13:05
You have his full attention you will gain way more experience compared to probably 2 classes

He is only watching and paying attention to you

If he isnt telling you specifically what to do differently, then it would be bad

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hound
06-07-16, 14:50
1 on 1 is a great opportunity. I also agree with tossing the instructor a few extra bones.

Arik
06-07-16, 14:52
No. Bad idea! Tell where so I can sign up!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
06-07-16, 18:18
If the instructor is good, I would be on that like Rosie O'Donnell at a Chinese buffet.

.46caliber
06-07-16, 18:24
No way I'd pass on that. You'll get more/better instruction with undivided attention. He'll be able to zero in better on your weak points and you'll have the luxury of rerunning drills on them. Plus you'll probably have more fun.

Bravo to the instructor for making the offer.

jmoore
06-07-16, 19:53
Jump at the opportunity.

1). Say YES.
2). Take more ammo

john

FamilyMan
06-10-16, 10:14
Thanks everyone. It was awesome, instructor was very qualified and has real world experience. He believed in training with what you used, so I did the class in my PC w/plates since if I have to ever reach for my carbine I'm also reaching for my PC. He doesn't normally hold that particular class in summer due to the physical demands, but told him it wont be an issue for me. Had one green follower usgi mag give me issues, other than that the 6920 ran well as usual. I'm glad I chose to drive 2.5 hours to him instead of taking something locally. Will be going back for some of his other classes when time allows.

Kenneth
06-10-16, 19:05
Agh we need more of a review. Who? Where? What did y'all do? Details man details.