PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of the DD M4 rail over other DD rails?

Fringe
08-28-08, 12:39
What are the pros and cons of this rail besides not having QD swivel mount and being an once heavier?

Kurt Reifert
08-28-08, 13:15
Optional steel barrel nut.

Fringe
08-28-08, 13:25
Optional steel barrel nut.

Could you please elaborate on this? Is it also because the M4 rail is 1 piece?
Thanks.

Narph
08-28-08, 15:05
Stickman did a good review already.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63

edit: Total misread, don't have one so I can't help you.

Try this one though...

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10

Fringe
08-28-08, 15:10
Stickman did a good review already.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63

While a good bit of information, especially about the Omega rail, I still am not sure why one would choose the M4 rail over the other choices by DD.

Fringe
09-02-08, 21:54
Can anyone confirm or not that this rail is still good viable option against the other options from DD?
I am debating whether or not I want to put it on my BCM middy from Grant and he does not have anything else in stock. Should I move forward with this option or wait till other DD rail kit hits the market?
Thanks for you thoughts.

Stickman
09-02-08, 22:50
The DD M4 series rail is the lightest rail on the market. That is its main benefit. I have used them, and they have worked well. They are also the rail used by AMU.

That being said, I prefer the DD Lite series. The DD Lite rails use the same basic lockup system that is used by the RIS II military series.

wahoo95
09-03-08, 07:27
The M4 series has the largest Diameter of the DD rails....people want want the smaller diamter of the other rails. The M4 series is a good system.....just like the others, however it's key differences are the way it mounts and the interupted top rail.

Fringe
09-03-08, 09:51
OK, this helps. So the way I see it, the rail is slightly lighter, maybe an Oz. or so and thats it. The others have the uninterrupted top rail and the integrated QD swivel mount. I assume that the weight difference is lost once you add a DD rail sling attachment set-up, so I really see no value in this rail outside the fact that is seems it is the only one available at this time!!
Damn, I wish I could get a DD Omega 9"!

Stickman
09-03-08, 11:31
OK, this helps. So the way I see it, the rail is slightly lighter, maybe an Oz. or so and thats it. The others have the uninterrupted top rail and the integrated QD swivel mount. I assume that the weight difference is lost once you add a DD rail sling attachment set-up, so I really see no value in this rail outside the fact that is seems it is the only one available at this time!!
Damn, I wish I could get a DD Omega 9"!

The DD M4 rail is their original rail. The Lite rail and Omega rail are much more recent, as is their RIS II series rails. The pros of the DD M4 rail seem like they aren't anything you need, you don't care about weight, aren't looking for something to stick a can under, and don't need a one piece rail.

If you want the DD 9.0 Omega rail, get it, its a good rail, and should serve you well.

Fringe
09-03-08, 11:59
The DD M4 rail is their original rail. The Lite rail and Omega rail are much more recent, as is their RIS II series rails. The pros of the DD M4 rail seem like they aren't anything you need, you don't care about weight, aren't looking for something to stick a can under, and don't need a one piece rail.

If you want the DD 9.0 Omega rail, get it, its a good rail, and should serve you well.

Thanks for you help Stick.
Yeah, I run a 7 Omega on my N4 and love it. I love the integrated sling spot and it is nice and solid. As far as weight, I DO care a lot about weight and between the two, as I said with the DD sling kit on the M4, they will probably be equal in weight. Also, the uninterrupted rail on top is a nice touch.
When you say can, are you referring to the G launcher?

spamsammich
09-03-08, 13:51
can=silencer

Fringe
09-03-08, 15:01
Yeah, I know what a can is, i just have never heard of one being stored under a rail, that was why I asked if he was referring to the M203 witch lives in that area.
Thanks.

spamsammich
09-03-08, 15:52
I'm sure Stick can hook us up with a pic of a can inside a M4 rail, I swear I've seen one floating around but I can't find it. I really like that look, unfortunately I can't use silencers in this state.

Stickman
09-04-08, 17:14
I'm sure Stick can hook us up with a pic of a can inside a M4 rail, I swear I've seen one floating around but I can't find it. I really like that look, unfortunately I can't use silencers in this state.

Can't' find one of my pics with a can, but here is one with a Noveske KX3 under a FDE DD 12.0 M4 rail.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%20II/IMG_1887%201028%20Stick.jpg

twodollarbill
09-04-08, 19:20
Stickman.... looks like the Noveske KX3 is snug within the DD M4 rail.
Is the M4 rail stock?....or was it milled to fit the KX3.

Stickman
09-04-08, 20:12
Stickman.... looks like the Noveske KX3 is snug within the DD M4 rail.
Is the M4 rail stock?....or was it milled to fit the KX3.

She recesses inside the rail without any problem. Its a stock DD M4 rail, though I should point out that the DD Lite rails won't accept them due to their narrower profile.

twodollarbill
09-04-08, 20:39
She recesses inside the rail without any problem. Its a stock DD M4 rail.

PERFECT!!!... This solves half of my search....I have an AWC M22 suppressor that is the same diameter of the KX3
Now I need a match grade barrel that is #1 ...govt. dia. (.725") and #2...has a minimum of 4.50" govt. dia. infront
of the gas block before threads.
I'm waiting on a reply from Noveske if their SS Crusader and Afghan barrels meet my needs.

Fringe
09-05-08, 13:20
OK, I understand what stick was talking about now, but only see it an issue if the can would need to go under the rail, as if the rail was over the flash-hider.

Sweet looking piece stick. How many freaking sticks do you have anyway??

decodeddiesel
09-05-08, 13:39
Can't' find one of my pics with a can, but here is one with a Noveske KX3 under a FDE DD 12.0 M4 rail.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%20II/IMG_1887%201028%20Stick.jpg

That is one sexy blaster...