PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Gun Smithing - Video

elephant
06-08-16, 01:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lui6uNPcRPA&list=FLR8b4yg_X_9RMVjQJvs4TuQ&index=39

Almost an hour long but defiantly worth the watch. Maybe something to watch late night. This was a documentary made in the 1960s about colonial gun smiths and shows the entire process of making a rifled flint lock musket from scrap wrought iron and brass to a plank of maple. Pretty interesting and gives us an idea what life was like back in the early colonial days of this country. This country was very fortunate to have such skilled craftsmen. Check out all the hand made tooling throughout the video and check out the rifling lathe. Thought you all would like this video and learn a thing or two.

Straight Shooter
06-08-16, 06:18
I cant wait to find time to watch. Ive always wondered how they rifled barrel, both firearm and cannon back then, and knew what twist rates to use.

dwhitehorne
06-08-16, 14:55
Wow that is some patients I do not have. Amazing video. Thanks for posting that. David

AKDoug
06-08-16, 23:45
As of 2007 you could go watch rifles being made in Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. While my wife toured the rest of the place, I spent my entire time in the gunsmith and blacksmith shops. Very cool stuff.

Crow Hunter
06-09-16, 12:22
As of 2007 you could go watch rifles being made in Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. While my wife toured the rest of the place, I spent my entire time in the gunsmith and blacksmith shops. Very cool stuff.

Did a very similar thing about the same time (I did go with my wife to some of the other places).

You weren't that guy standing next to me were you? :cool:

I talked to the gunsmith for a while there. It was extremely interesting.

AKDoug
06-09-16, 20:53
Did a very similar thing about the same time (I did go with my wife to some of the other places).

You weren't that guy standing next to me were you? :cool:

I talked to the gunsmith for a while there. It was extremely interesting.

Stranger things have happened. I was sitting on a bench in Williamsburg waiting for my wife and my doctor (all the way from Alaska) sat down next to me. I'm pretty sure she pissed her pants when I said "good afternoon Doc"... How two people ,from a town of less than 1000, end up at the same place at the same time on the other side of America is funny.

Straight Shooter
06-09-16, 21:00
I watched this early this morning and could not stop until it was done. Utterly awesome.

donlapalma
06-10-16, 00:28
That dude is legit. Totally fascinating. I got curious about how much one of his rifles would cost and found one that sold in 2013 for $10K.

http://www.icollector.com/RARE-CONTEMPORARY-PRE-REVOLUTIONARY-WAR-LONG-RIFLE-BY-MASTER-GUNSMITH-WALLACE-B-GUSLER-OF-COLONIAL_i17332387

Just "WOW" at the level of skill. Thanks for putting that up elephant.