PDA

View Full Version : Sabre Defence uppers - any downsides?

mmike87
08-28-08, 14:53
I did some research, and Sabre's stuff seems to be pretty solid. Some folks have said that they do cut some corners in places.

From what I gather, this seems to be buffers, receiver extensions, and things related to whole rifles.

I am in the market to replace a RRA upper with something "better" - and convert the RRA upper to a KISS rifle (regular handguards, carry handle, etc.) by mating it with an existing lower I have.

Is there any downside to a Sabre middy upper other than they are batch tested (I'm not too worried about that, at least they use the true milspec steel.) I have a BCM BCG to use in whatever upper I end up with.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

M4arc
08-28-08, 15:22
I have one for sale if you're interested ;)

The only downside that I've seen has been availability. They are just tough to get these days. But then again so is everything else!

As for cutting corners, maybe you are referring to something different but I think most of the problems came from some dealers getting in just barrels, installing them on whatever upper receivers they could get their hands on and then passing them off (probably not intentionally) as complete Sabre uppers.

Did I mention that I have one for sale? :D

mmike87
08-28-08, 15:40
I have one for sale if you're interested ;)

The only downside that I've seen has been availability. They are just tough to get these days. But then again so is everything else!

As for cutting corners, maybe you are referring to something different but I think most of the problems came from some dealers getting in just barrels, installing them on whatever upper receivers they could get their hands on and then passing them off (probably not intentionally) as complete Sabre uppers.

Did I mention that I have one for sale? :D

Talon Arms seems to have some in stock, per their web site.

Can you PM me with the details regarding the one you have for sale?

spamsammich
08-28-08, 15:49
I had Rainier whip up one for me on a Mega upper and it has been GTG. I like it a lot. I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to justify a BCM middy to go with it because I like it so much. Don't want it to become a safe queen. I doubt you'll have any trouble with a factory built upper.

markm
08-28-08, 15:58
The "cutting corners" remark was aimed at the complete rifles that sabre makes using commercial REs instead of Mil spec.

Sabre uppers have taper pins and some parking under the FSB. Accuracy is generally outstanding.

I have a sabre 11.5, but the middies have excellent reputations.

RogerinTPA
08-28-08, 17:38
I got mine from Talon Arms a year ago. A complete upper with rear site and DD 9.0 rail. No problems so far and good quality workmanship.:)

casio02478
08-29-08, 08:15
My firend has one and it is top notch in all departments. He fired thousands of rounds and not a single milfunction, very accurate too.

Littlelebowski
08-29-08, 08:22
Got my middy from Talon Arms and couldn't be happier. Highly recommended.

jlficken
08-29-08, 10:00
I got mine from Talon a few months back and have been extremely happy with it. No malfunctions in >400 rds except with my first batch of reloads for an AR that weren't hot enough to chamber the rounds (it would cycle and pick up the round just wouldn't chamber it). Zero problems after I changed my load.

Here are some more opinions on Sabre from a thread I started:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17294&highlight=sabre

Jay Cunningham
08-29-08, 10:02
They are excellent.

maximus83
08-29-08, 17:22
I own a Sabre middy and couldn't be happier with it. Never a single feeding, firing, or extraction issue, and haven't detail-cleaned it in over 1K rounds. The middy is nearly as accurate at 100 yards, even dirty, as my service match rifle.

mmike87
08-29-08, 20:56
Thanks for the input folks. I went ahead and snagged one of the uppers from Talon and they are installing a DD Omega rail on it. Should have it at my doorstep by this time next week with the holiday and all.