PDA

View Full Version : G19 sight compatibility and other questions.

Razorhunter
06-09-16, 10:47
Can you guys tell me what is the brightest sight available in low light conditions? Would it perhaps be the truglo TFO?
Also, I'm wondering if the following front sights would work in conjunction with a Vickers Elite REAR sight on a G19:
-Truglo TFO front?
-Trijicon HD front?

MWAG19919
06-09-16, 12:18
I've only had experience with HDs. In no light and low light they're fantastic. In bright sunlight the orange front sight is great if the light is behind you or overhead, but if you're shooting towards the sun (i.e. you shoot toward the east in the morning), they're just blacked out. The photoluminescent paint is great if you carry a light; just a 5 second charge and you're good for a few minutes.

I've heard Meprolight has the brightest tritium, and that TFOs aren't very good in low light but are good in bright/no light. I have no firsthand experience with either, though.

SomeOtherGuy
06-09-16, 12:28
I have Truglo TFOs on my G19 and find them great. Bright in daylight, bright in complete darkness, usable in all lighting conditions I've tried. They are not a precision sight nor meant to be, but are very good for the intended purpose.

I have the Trijicon HD night sights on an M&P9. In complete darkness they glow, and with light to your back the orange front is reasonably visible, but as mentioned it's just a black silhouette if light is in front of you. I would take them over plastic sights but not over the TFOs. I think the TFOs are brighter in complete darkness, although I'm not 100% sure. Both sets of sights are approximately the same age, with the Trijicons slightly newer. I mention this because all Tritium based sights will fade with time.

I can't help with the front/rear compatibility question.

Big A
06-09-16, 14:15
Can you guys tell me what is the brightest sight available in low light conditions? Would it perhaps be the truglo TFO?
Also, I'm wondering if the following front sights would work in conjunction with a Vickers Elite REAR sight on a G19:
-Truglo TFO front?
-Trijicon HD front?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Vickers-Elite-Battlesight-for-Glock-Black-Serrated/productinfo/669B/

NOTE: Sights may require minor fitting and may not be returned after installation. The Vickers Elite GlockŪ Sight set requires the use of a .245”tall front sight for all caliber GlockŪ pistols except for .45 ACP and 10mm which will typically require the .230” front sight. Sights may require minor fitting and may not be returned after installation. These front sights are taller than factory GlockŪ and not compatible with standard factory rear sights without adjusting the sight height.

Trijicon:
https://trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=GL101Y
https://trijicon.com/images/general/HDNS_front2.jpg

Blade Width (A) 0.144 in.

Blade Height (B) 0.215 in.

Overall Height (C) 0.268 in.

Truglo doesn't list the specs of their sights.

A possible option from Ameriglo:
http://ameriglo.com/collections/glock/products/glock-pro-glo-tritium-fronts?variant=7556139905

But why not just go with the complete set from Wilson?

Helix12
06-10-16, 07:45
I have Truglo TFOs on my G19 and find them great. Bright in daylight, bright in complete darkness, usable in all lighting conditions I've tried. They are not a precision sight nor meant to be, but are very good for the intended purpose.

I have the Trijicon HD night sights on an M&P9. In complete darkness they glow, and with light to your back the orange front is reasonably visible, but as mentioned it's just a black silhouette if light is in front of you. I would take them over plastic sights but not over the TFOs. I think the TFOs are brighter in complete darkness, although I'm not 100% sure. Both sets of sights are approximately the same age, with the Trijicons slightly newer. I mention this because all Tritium based sights will fade with time.

I can't help with the front/rear compatibility question.

I have a number of handguns with night sights and have owned a number of others in the past. Slightly more of those guns have been equipped with Meps than Trijicons. I have read that Meps tritium inserts are made by Trijicon but don't know that for a fact. I do know that the Meps that I have are not as bright as the Trijicons I have. The Trijicon HDs are the second best all around night sights I have ever owned.

However, first best all around sights goes to the TFOs I have on a pair of Glock 19s. They are most excellent during the day, regardless of whether it is bright summer sunshine or a gloomy winter dusk. They just plain provide a bright sight picture. They are also excellent during the night.

Before typing this post I got out one of my TFO equipped G19s and a FNS-9 compact that I bought just a few days ago. Took them both into a downstairs bathroom without a window and killed the lights. In that no-light environment the two year old TFOs simply stand out as better, partly because the tritium dots are slightly larger on the TFOs compared to the FNS night sights. According to posts on the FN forum, the factory night sights on FNS handguns are made by Meps, although they are unmarked on both my FNS pistols.

I dislike Glock factory sights and always replace them on any Glock I own. The TFOs are hands-down the best I've installed on my Glocks for all around use. And they shoot to the same POA/POI as the Glock factory sights on my Glock 19s. Again, I like the Trijicon HDs, but TFOs are best all around sight that I have had experience with.

Just my opinion based on actual using experience. Never had a Vickers sight so I can't help with that. Good luck with your choice.

Razorhunter
06-10-16, 10:20
Thanks for the replies guys. Helix, I don't suppose you have a dial caliper which you could use to measure the height of the TFO front sight do you? I'm going to call TruGlo and see if they can give me the specs I need, but still thought I'd ask you. Guys my main goal here is to get the brightest (in low light) front sight I can, and combine it with, preferably the Vickers Elite rear. I absolutely love that rear sight. This obviously requires a .230" tall front sight.
My second option is probably just to go with Triji HD's, but I just don't like the rear sight quite as much as the Vickers.

rangerjay
06-10-16, 19:10
I used an HD front with the Vickers/Wilson rear on a duty gun. The combo works, but I did not care for the sight picture with the Vickers rear, it was too busy for my liking.

Big A
06-11-16, 11:30
Thanks for the replies guys. Helix, I don't suppose you have a dial caliper which you could use to measure the height of the TFO front sight do you? I'm going to call TruGlo and see if they can give me the specs I need, but still thought I'd ask you. Guys my main goal here is to get the brightest (in low light) front sight I can, and combine it with, preferably the Vickers Elite rear. I absolutely love that rear sight. This obviously requires a .230" tall front sight.
My second option is probably just to go with Triji HD's, but I just don't like the rear sight quite as much as the Vickers.
According to WC's site you need a .245" front for your Glock 19. The .230" is for the .45ACP/10 MM models.

Razorhunter
06-11-16, 11:36
Thanks BigA, I probably did get it backwards.