PDA

View Full Version : Closest match to MAS grey?

cctroupe11
06-10-16, 13:55
Hey guys, I'm putting together a 6094A in MAS grey and have found my rifle and pistol mags in the color but other pouches are pretty much non existent like an IFAK and MAP.

I'm not a huge stickler but I would like the kit to match as best as possible. Which colors match the closest? The organ grey stuff seems quite a few grades lighter and more of a true grey while (to my eyes) the MAS has a green tinge to it. Would ranger green match up pretty close?

Thanks

HardToHandle
06-11-16, 07:29
Hey guys, I'm putting together a 6094A in MAS grey and have found my rifle and pistol mags in the color but other pouches are pretty much non existent like an IFAK and MAP.

I'm not a huge stickler but I would like the kit to match as best as possible. Which colors match the closest? The organ grey stuff seems quite a few grades lighter and more of a true grey while (to my eyes) the MAS has a green tinge to it. Would ranger green match up pretty close?

Thanks

Generally no on ranger green matching MAS Grey. I have three to four different manufacturer shades of ranger green, but most look close.

My MAS grey exposure is limited to a couple items from LBT. MAS Grey is darker, much darker than RG.

For the most part, LBT is the big player in town for MAS grey and you will pay their prices. They also seem to be reducing the MAS grey color way, but it has been a year since I have been to VA Beach and had any substantive discussions, so things may change.

Unsolicited opinion... Beyond looking uniform, as noted, why does everything have to match? I understand some organizally required matching, but field exposure says some contrasting colors increases the concealment potential in most circumstances (maybe not true in the maritime environment).

cctroupe11
06-11-16, 08:20
Purely uniformity. I'm a little on the OCD side...6+ years in the Army getting yelled at if something stands out...it makes you anal retentive.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be a perfect match, I'm just trying to figure out which out of all of the other colors would jive with the MAS grey the best.

I have no problem whatsoever with paying LBT prices, but they are not producing much in MAS grey currently. I only got an order on my 6094 by pure luck. So I'm trying to pick up what I can, where I can, and then fill what I cannot find with something else.

bad aim
06-11-16, 11:00
Ranger Green is the closest match and MAS Grey is proprietary to LBT. I'm not aware of any other company that uses that color unfortunately. IIRC, it was made to outfit a certain NSW group and they had some leftover fabric.

It's a shame, as I much prefer MG over the bluer "Wolf Grey" that everyone and their mother is pushing out these days.

cctroupe11
06-11-16, 11:32
I agree, MAS grey is one of the best looking colors on the market, in my opinion. In my part of the country, it works better than FDE, khaki, coyote and all the other "brighter" desert oriented colors. I like the fact that it is a darker grey for urban operations but also has a tinge of green which would jive with the darker pine forests that cover most of the southeast US. That's why I chose the color when I decided to build another kit.

I guess I'll try out some ranger green and scrounge up MAS grey pouches when and where I can.

El Cid
06-11-16, 15:59
There are some Kydex makers using MAS grey. Maybe they can make some custom pieces for you?