PDA

View Full Version : Remington's latest iteration on the Express series...

Slater
06-10-16, 20:27
This is marketed as the "Hardwood Home Defense" version, and features a wooden (birch?) stock and forend. I know that polymer furniture is more durable and weatherproof, but I'm a sucker for a wood stock, I guess.

Had a counter guy at the gun store say "You'll want to protect that wood. Try Johnson's paste wax". Don't know if he was serious or not. Thoughts?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/HPIM1657_zpsnxj0xc56.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/HPIM1657_zpsnxj0xc56.jpg.html)

T2C
06-10-16, 20:32
Paste wax protects the surface and oil penetrates the wood to protect. If you are going to spend a lot of time in wet weather, boiled linseed oil or tung oil will protect the wood.

Years ago shotgunners would follow up oil treating the stock with paste wax to protect the finish.

Wake27
06-10-16, 21:38
That's a good looking set of furniture. Hopefully it functions better than my express when I first got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slater
06-10-16, 21:54
Yeah, I know that Remington's QC has been spotty lately.

Wake27
06-10-16, 22:15
Very, but maybe they turned it around. Let us know how it runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uprange41
06-10-16, 23:14
I've been wanting one of those or maybe a Police Walnut.

With elections looming, another 870 is low on my list of things to buy though.

Let us know how it runs, I too am a bit of a sucker for a simple walnut stocked 870.

williejc
06-10-16, 23:44
That's a nice stock. I love Expresses but never owned a recent one. Johnson's Paste Wax is great stuff. One can is too much for one shotgun. You won't live long enough. To make your stock even prettier and protect it too, buy a bottle of Birchwood Casey TruOil and some 0000 steel wool. Wet the wool with TruOil and apply to the stock with gentle yet firm pressure. Then wipe with a soft cloth. The result will be fantastic. The process is idiotic proof and will really clean up an old military stock also. If you do this, please report back.

austinN4
06-11-16, 06:43
I am confused, which is nothing new. The 870 HD went to a 1 piece mag tub a year or so ago, but that photo is clearly of a 2 piece tube 870 yet is marketed as a new model? What's up with that? Do you have the model # for that SG?

Maybe somebody found a cache of NIB old-stock? That wouldn't be a bad thing. If it is an older model with the dreaded J-lock safety I wouldn't let that stop me because the J-lock is easily replace with one of the several big head safeties that are available. I went with the S&J safety on my current 870. I had the Vang on my previous 870 but prefer the S&J.

ETA: Went to Rem's web site and found it. The 5 shot wood version is #25559 and the extended mag wood version (clearly the old style 2 piece) is #81197. Yet the synthetic stock version of the tried and true extended mag #25077 is the newer 1 piece mag. It still seems strange to me that they would be offering 2 different types of mag tubes. Using up old style parts inventory probably.

T2C
06-11-16, 06:50
That's a nice stock. I love Expresses but never owned a recent one. Johnson's Paste Wax is great stuff. One can is too much for one shotgun. You won't live long enough. To make your stock even prettier and protect it too, buy a bottle of Birchwood Casey TruOil and some 0000 steel wool. Wet the wool with TruOil and apply to the stock with gentle yet firm pressure. Then wipe with a soft cloth. The result will be fantastic. The process is idiotic proof and will really clean up an old military stock also. If you do this, please report back.

Tru Oil is great stuff. I use it quite often on 1903 Springfields and Garands. The finish may be a bit shiny for a defensive shotgun though.

Slater
06-11-16, 10:35
I am confused, which is nothing new. The 870 HD went to a 1 piece mag tub a year or so ago, but that photo is clearly of a 2 piece tube 870 yet is marketed as a new model? What's up with that? Do you have the model # for that SG?

Maybe somebody found a cache of NIB old-stock? That wouldn't be a bad thing. If it is an older model with the dreaded J-lock safety I wouldn't let that stop me because the J-lock is easily replace with one of the several big head safeties that are available. I went with the S&J safety on my current 870. I had the Vang on my previous 870 but prefer the S&J.

ETA: Went to Rem's web site and found it. The 5 shot wood version is #25559 and the extended mag wood version (clearly the old style 2 piece) is #81197. Yet the synthetic stock version of the tried and true extended mag #25077 is the newer 1 piece mag. It still seems strange to me that they would be offering 2 different types of mag tubes. Using up old style parts inventory probably.

It would seem that both mag tube styles are currently marketed, although many have remarked that the single-piece tube makes sense for being simpler and (theoretically) cheaper.

austinN4
06-11-16, 11:37
It would seem that both mag tube styles are currently marketed, although many have remarked that the single-piece tube makes sense for being simpler and (theoretically) cheaper.

The 1 piece mag tube is much simpler and has the same capacity of 6+1. The other advantage is that it takes a bit of weight off the end of the barrel.

That said I like the look of the new retro-style wood stocked version.

This: http://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-hardwood-home-defense
versus
This: http://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-express-synthetic-tactical-7-round

26 Inf
06-11-16, 21:32
the downside with the longer tube is the lack of available barrels. of course, for hd only this may not be a concern.

my 870's are all Wingmasters, you might get online and see if you can buy some used wingmaster furniture - some of it is really beutiful - checkering, lacquer finish, etc.

Slater
06-11-16, 21:49
I believe that Wingmaster furniture is walnut while Express wood is birch?

Robertsk1
06-14-16, 13:25
It does look nice, and i love the 870. But the express line ruined it for me. I bought a 2011 870 express tactical. It would always jam and not eject rounds. It pissed me off so I sold it. I put 550 rounds through it and at least 60 of those rounds were fails. I have an older wingmaster that has been flawless, and I also have a Moss 590a1, that thing has shot 400 rounds and not a single hiccup. I have read a lot about the express line sucking.

If I get another 870 it will be a police. But for now the Wingmaster and 590 are all I need. But I will be looking at these to see how they fair.

Slater
06-14-16, 13:52
Some Expresses needed their chambers polished to insure positive extraction (IIRC).

austinN4
06-14-16, 13:58
(IIRC).

You did.

misfit47
06-17-16, 15:01
I actually picked up an older used 870 today. Wasn't on my radar but had everything I wanted and price was right. Not as good looking as that one though.

BuzzinSATX
06-17-16, 20:30
If you are worried about preserving the wood (or any metal, plastic, or rubber), there is one product that works excellent for all:

http://www.ballistol.com/order/

Been using it for years...it will not disappoint you.

http://www.ballistol.com/faqs/

Big A
06-27-16, 14:31
Why in the hell didn't they put the Police fore-end on it?

T2C
06-27-16, 14:53
Why in the hell didn't they put the Police fore-end on it?

Most likely so people don't pinch their fingers when cycling the action.

misfit47
06-27-16, 14:58
Are you referring to the short, ribbed forend? I prefer the traditional style myself.

Big A
06-27-16, 15:57
Most likely so people don't pinch their fingers when cycling the action.
How exactly does one do that? I have an 870P with wood furniture and haven't pinched my fingers running it.

Big A
06-27-16, 15:59
Are you referring to the short, ribbed forend? I prefer the traditional style myself.
Yes, the wood one from the 870P.

Uprange41
06-27-16, 17:41
How exactly does one do that? I have an 870P with wood furniture and haven't pinched my fingers running it.

Kids and new shooters or shooters with a shorter wingspan can and have pinched their fingers on 870's with Police forends.

I doubt that's why it's not on the HD hardwood, but it does happen.

Slater
06-27-16, 18:15
When the Express HD model first came out it had the field forend. Maybe down the road they'll change to a different style.