PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Home-based FFLs

Skyyr
06-10-16, 21:21
Well, this sucks

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/06/foghorn/death-kitchen-counter-ffl-no-new-licenses-distributors-stop-shipping/

There was a time in this country when you could have firearms shipped straight to your door. The Gun Control Act of 1968 put a stop to that for the most part, implementing the current Federal Firearms Licensing system that we see today and requiring firearms to be shipped to dealers and not directly to end users. Some enterprising people decided to sign up as “gun dealers” themselves with their home address as their “place of business,” allowing them to order guns directly from distributors (at reduced prices) and even own post-sample machine guns (with the proper paperwork). We’ve been hearing for some time that the ATF is putting an end to the availability of home FFLs, but now it looks like distributors are following suit.

Firefly
06-10-16, 21:45
BATFE, have a Snickers...

You think you're actually saving the world by denying codified civil rights when you're hungry

SteyrAUG
06-10-16, 22:02
And just remember, the only way to protect yourself from being declared a "unlicensed gun dealer" on a private sale it to obtain a FFL. Even if it's just "one gun" you can be declared an "unlicensed gun dealer."

For those paying attention, ATF just moved another important chess piece.

Kain
06-10-16, 22:08
And just remember, the only way to protect yourself from being declared a "unlicensed gun dealer" on a private sale it to obtain a FFL. Even if it's just "one gun" you can be declared an "unlicensed gun dealer."

Didn't the government pull the same thing, or at least similar, when the NFA was enacted? Basically, you need a tax stamp to own a machine gun. Guess what, we won't give you one. Or am I thinking of something different? (Maybe weed?) If I am on my mark though wouldn't the BATFE/gov be opening itself, in time, to possibly lawsuits due to this to some degree? Even if I am thinking of something similar though, the point may still may remain. Perhaps the, "let's regulate the hell out if everything." could be used against them and cause a backfire as it were. Hope it always there.

Since you are the resident NFA and firearm law experts I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

jpmuscle
06-10-16, 22:12
Welp, the BATFE can go to he'll and rsr can get seriously @#%ked.

I thought UBCs was the only way to stop interpersonal violence that utilized firearms? Can't have UBCs without a lot of FFLs.... /sarcasm off...
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Firefly
06-10-16, 22:13

Real talk.
Would you think this getting everything in order to stymie the inevitable run on guns come election day?

SteyrAUG
06-11-16, 01:28
Didn't the government pull the same thing, or at least similar, when the NFA was enacted? Basically, you need a tax stamp to own a machine gun. Guess what, we won't give you one. Or am I thinking of something different? (Maybe weed?) If I am on my mark though wouldn't the BATFE/gov be opening itself, in time, to possibly lawsuits due to this to some degree? Even if I am thinking of something similar though, the point may still may remain. Perhaps the, "let's regulate the hell out if everything." could be used against them and cause a backfire as it were. Hope it always there.

Since you are the resident NFA and firearm law experts I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Don't know that I'm the resident expert but yes that's pretty much what happened.

1934 - You can own a machine gun but you have to pay a $200 tax.
1968 - You can no longer register an imported machine gun, suppressor, SBR, SBS or any other NFA item.
1986 - You can no longer register a domestic machine gun.

The important one is in 1986, prior to FOPA they were passing a version that included everything from suppressors to short barreled rifles and after the enactment the current owners would not be able to transfer them to anyone else. In other words in 1986 those who owned NFA items would be the last lawful owners and when they passed or moved to a non NFA state all of their stuff must be surrendered to ATF. This is why Reagan signed FOPA 86 because the alternative was a nightmare.

The Obama administration has been trying to close the gun show loophole and end private sale firearms by declaring you must obtain a license if the ATF determines you are buying and selling guns in a way that they deem "engaged in business for profit." They have stated specifically that there is no magic number and they can prosecute somebody for selling only ONE GUN if they believe he meets their criteria.

We have already seen the guy from Gunsmoke arrested and prosecuted for being an unlicensed dealer even though every single firearm was actually transferred through a FFL. This is no longer the protection it once was and now they are essentially trying to create "straw FFL transfers" for lack of a better term.

So as it stands now, anyone selling a gun on the internet could easily be prosecuted for being an "unlicensed dealer" because the determination is at the ATFs discretion to apply a very arbitrary qualifier. They are getting away with this by saying you simply have to become a licensed dealer. But what just about everyone is going to discover is that they won't be able to become a licensed dealer anymore than they can buy a transferable factory MP5 because they don't exist.

Since all MP5s came in after the 1968 machine gun ban, they are considered dealer samples only and can only be purchased by a FFL / SOT.

SteyrAUG
06-11-16, 01:31
Real talk.
Would you think this getting everything in order to stymie the inevitable run on guns come election day?

Not really. There will be plenty of licensed FFLs willing to take up the slack, especially at election prices. The goal here is to make selling a gun the equivalent of selling your car.

ATF has been chipping away at FOPA for a long time. They just chipped off a big piece.

Moose-Knuckle
06-11-16, 02:51
The goal here is to make selling a gun the equivalent of selling your car.

Back door firearm registration, it will work like automobile title transfers.

SteyrAUG
06-11-16, 03:12
Back door firearm registration, it will work like automobile title transfers.

Pretty much. We'll be lucky if they leave the FFL system in place and don't come up with something like the DMV.

Outlander Systems
06-11-16, 09:05
Just wait until the Wicked Witch of the West gives a massive funding injection to said agency.

2017 is gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.