PDA

View Full Version : Looked at an assembled rifle today

replacement
06-11-16, 17:04
Was at the local shop and they took in an interesting rifle , hoping you guys can give me some advice. The rifle had an Anderson lower, a Bison upper, Carl ziese scope, match barrel not sure on maker, a silver colored Yankee engineering bolt carrier, fixed rear stock, I think it is 18 inch barrel 1:7 twist looks like stainless (silver color) the guy that's brought it in claims he has 1600 in the build. Looks like test fired only. It looks well put together - not sure never bought a build before and they don't have a build sheet. Builder bought a very high end shotgun and said he built the AR for coyote hunting and the guy went with passed away. Comments? What to look for?

Mrgunsngear
06-11-16, 17:59
Was at the local shop and they took in an interesting rifle , hoping you guys can give me some advice. The rifle had an Anderson lower, a Bison upper, Carl ziese scope, match barrel not sure on maker, a silver colored Yankee engineering bolt carrier, fixed rear stock, I think it is 18 inch barrel 1:7 twist looks like stainless (silver color) the guy that's brought it in claims he has 1600 in the build. Looks like test fired only. It looks well put together - not sure never bought a build before and they don't have a build sheet. Builder bought a very high end shotgun and said he built the AR for coyote hunting and the guy went with passed away. Comments? What to look for?

Look for details on the barrel and scope. Those are the parts we'd need more info on to ever ballpark a value.

Eurodriver
06-12-16, 09:23
I wouldn't even waste my time.

T2C
06-12-16, 09:34
Look for details on the barrel and scope. Those are the parts we'd need more info on to ever ballpark a value.

Agreed.

CRAMBONE
06-12-16, 09:39
I'd pass.

bad aim
06-12-16, 11:54
Unless that scope is a Zeiss Victory or a nicer Conquest, I'd pass. For that price, you can get yourself an AR with quality, proven, parts.

Benito
06-12-16, 12:20
Bison? Never heard of it.
Yankee engineering? Ditto.
No name "match" barrel? Errr, no thanks.

Walk away. Fast.

Renegade04
06-12-16, 13:15
Bison? Never heard of it.
Yankee engineering? Ditto.
No name "match" barrel? Errr, no thanks.

Walk away. Fast.

I too have never heard of Bison and I have been at this for several years. They may be some new start up company that assembles uppers (possibly entire ARs) from a variety of components from various manufacturers. Maybe some known and others unknown. Yankee Engineering is probably Yankee Hill Manufacturing (YHM). They do make BCGs like the OP described. I would be curious as to who made the barrel. There are some reputable manufacturers that make some nice stainless Match barrels and others that claim that they are Match barrels. Personally, I would pass on that AR being that it is of unknown quality and craftsmanship. It makes no sense to build one like that and not shoot it (at least claimed to have not shot it). You do not know what underlying issues it may have.

Iraqgunz
06-12-16, 15:38
Unless that scope is worth 1500 or more, you are spinning your wheels.

Outlander Systems
06-12-16, 15:53
Sounds like a hobby-built, garage special.

You can do a LOT better for your hard-earned money, bro.

I'd run.

kirkland
06-12-16, 17:31
Heck with buying somebody else's build! I say build it yourself! So much more satisfying, plus you get to pick out all the parts you want.

Live2Gun
06-12-16, 18:38
Heck with buying somebody else's build! I say build it yourself! So much more satisfying, plus you get to pick out all the parts you want.

More importantly, who knows if the person slapping stuff together knew what they were doing. I've seen some pretty scary assemblies on YouTube. I swear some people don't know what a torque wrench is.

MegademiC
06-12-16, 19:23
More importantly, who knows if the person slapping stuff together knew what they were doing. I've seen some pretty scary assemblies on YouTube. I swear some people don't know what a torque wrench is.

Torque wrench? Bah, just crank it tight and it's good to go! /sarcasm.

Op, it's a buyers market now, I wouldn't chance it, there are plenty of great deals on factory new guns built for hard use with known qc measures. If you want precision, they have that in addition to the previously mentioned at great prices.

Bubba FAL
06-12-16, 20:37
Bison armory makes fine barrels, can't believe no one's heard of them. I have a Bison 18" Recon profile barrel in one of my 6.8s and it's easily sub MOA.

wildcard600
06-12-16, 23:24
Sounds like a gamble. Unless you are getting it for $400 i would run away.

556BlackRifle
06-13-16, 00:47
OP, Take that money and buy a Colt or BCM - spend anything left over on a decent optic. You'll be light years a head.

replacement
06-13-16, 07:12
Thanks guys, the comments here were my first thoughts as well. I am going to pass. I did order a 6920 Friday so we will see if it still comes in with what went on over the weekend.

Springer
06-13-16, 14:12
You made a solid choice going with a 6920. It's proven to be a high quality rifle. One of my favorites.

Livefreeordie92
06-14-16, 09:49
Torque wrench? Bah, just crank it tight and it's good to go! /sarcasm.

Sad thing is I have friends that actually think this way. No need to use a torque wrench, no need to stake castle nuts, and Airsoft handguards and optics work just as good as the real thing. And I buy overly expensive basic BCM uppers. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, the comments here were my first thoughts as well. I am going to pass. I did order a 6920 Friday so we will see if it still comes in with what went on over the weekend.

You made a solid choice, OP. Well done and enjoy your new rifle when you get it.

scottryan
06-14-16, 20:01
Run away!

Inkslinger
06-14-16, 20:05
There's no way I would pay that for a used frankengun.

replacement
06-20-16, 06:35
6920 did come in- store owner who is friend let me out for 849.00 plus tax.

kirkland
06-21-16, 23:19
That's a good price, nice score.