PDA

View Full Version : German military missing some ammo...

Slater
06-12-16, 17:38
880 rounds? Not sure how the Germans pack their ammo, but does that sound like a case of 7.62mm, or maybe 5.56mm?

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/international/europe/2016/06/11/german-ammunition-missing-after-air-france-flight-mali/85747416/

Leuthas
06-12-16, 18:04
This qualifies as news in Germany?

Digital_Damage
06-12-16, 18:42
I think I lost that much last quarter...

The_War_Wagon
06-12-16, 18:43
This qualifies as news in Germany?

That's half the standing army's training allowance, no? :sarcastic:

Honu
06-12-16, 21:29
I know I used to buy tons of 7.62 berdan primed in 880 amounts :)

no idea but I would think its 7.62

TAZ
06-12-16, 21:36
Considering that the ammo went missing in Paris or Mali, I can see why they might have a concern. Do the Germans not own any transport planes that could be used to fly their troops to their destinations? Irony of flying Bundeswehr troops on Air France. Couldn't they have flown Lufthansa?

SteyrAUG
06-12-16, 22:45
About 10 years back Japan lost TWO ROUNDS of 7.62 from a helo and actually searched wetlands for days trying to recover it.

30 July 2004

Large-Scale, Active Search Operation for Missing Bullets Ends

YOKOSUKA, Japan ¾ After briefing local police and municipal authorities, the U.S. Navy has ended large-scale, active search operations for the two rounds of 7.62 mm ammunition that remain missing in Izumi Ward, Yokohama City after falling from a U.S. Navy helicopter on July 19, 2004.

U.S. Navy and Japanese searchers have recovered 198 of the 200 rounds that fell from the helicopter. Naval Air Facility Atsugi will continue all reasonable efforts to recover the remaining two bullets through other measures, such as the sharing of information with area residents, cooperation with and support to local authorities, and other actions that are deemed appropriate to include resumption of focused search operations if any evidence of the presence of a bullet is found.

In addition to cooperation with local police and municipal authorities, NAF Atsugi is working with cognizant authorities to produce a pamphlet or flier for distribution to local residents to ensure that they are informed on the status of the search and are aware of proper actions to be taken if any bullet or evidence of the possible presence of a bullet is discovered.

The investigation into the exact cause of the accidental loss of ammunition is ongoing. In the interim, the Commanding Officer, Helicopter Squadron 14, has personally directed all air-crews to re-double their vigilance about safety and to take every reasonable measure possible to a prevent a re-occurrence. These measures include strongly re-emphasizing the safe storage and handling of material in the helicopter.

Citizens are reminded that the two missing bullets are potentially dangerous if mishandled. If a bullet is found, local police authorities should be contacted immediately. Do not attempt to handle the ammunition yourself.

Honu
06-12-16, 23:17
when I was a kid we were making BMX jumps dug up some stuff that was hidden we reckon from WWII :)
no pics wish i took some but at 7 or 8 never thought of it :) but a lot of it was in the 20mm range with a couple pieces in the 80mm range all live with primers intact etc..
a bunch of it turned out to have some kinda exploding head ?
nothing like bringing a bunch of it home and saying DAD look what we found and I remember his excitement but not a good kinda excitement !

forgot how much but maybe 20 pieces total we ended up just taking it out into deep water and dumping it :)

jpmuscle
06-13-16, 01:34
About 10 years back Japan lost TWO ROUNDS of 7.62 from a helo and actually searched wetlands for days trying to recover it.

30 July 2004

Large-Scale, Active Search Operation for Missing Bullets Ends

YOKOSUKA, Japan ¾ After briefing local police and municipal authorities, the U.S. Navy has ended large-scale, active search operations for the two rounds of 7.62 mm ammunition that remain missing in Izumi Ward, Yokohama City after falling from a U.S. Navy helicopter on July 19, 2004.

U.S. Navy and Japanese searchers have recovered 198 of the 200 rounds that fell from the helicopter. Naval Air Facility Atsugi will continue all reasonable efforts to recover the remaining two bullets through other measures, such as the sharing of information with area residents, cooperation with and support to local authorities, and other actions that are deemed appropriate to include resumption of focused search operations if any evidence of the presence of a bullet is found.

In addition to cooperation with local police and municipal authorities, NAF Atsugi is working with cognizant authorities to produce a pamphlet or flier for distribution to local residents to ensure that they are informed on the status of the search and are aware of proper actions to be taken if any bullet or evidence of the possible presence of a bullet is discovered.

The investigation into the exact cause of the accidental loss of ammunition is ongoing. In the interim, the Commanding Officer, Helicopter Squadron 14, has personally directed all air-crews to re-double their vigilance about safety and to take every reasonable measure possible to a prevent a re-occurrence. These measures include strongly re-emphasizing the safe storage and handling of material in the helicopter.

Citizens are reminded that the two missing bullets are potentially dangerous if mishandled. If a bullet is found, local police authorities should be contacted immediately. Do not attempt to handle the ammunition yourself.
What in the absolute fvck?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
06-13-16, 07:07

The samurai would disown them...

http://news.cybersamuraimark.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Godzilla-facepalm.png

^^^ Him too... :rolleyes:

Whiskey_Bravo
06-13-16, 07:20

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Seriously! I can't tell if it's funny or sad.... Maybe both.

Averageman
06-13-16, 07:50
880 rounds? Not sure how the Germans pack their ammo, but does that sound like a case of 7.62mm, or maybe 5.56mm?

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/international/europe/2016/06/11/german-ammunition-missing-after-air-france-flight-mali/85747416/

I'm not sure, but their concern might well be warranted.
Some articles in the past have mentioned that many of the baggage handlers in Paris were recent immigrants and/or Muslims. Although that amount of ammunition might not mean much to us, it should concern some folks as to where it went and who accessed it and how.
When there is a possible security breech, it could either be to get the ammo or to see if the ammo could be accessed. If you can take ammunition off, you can certainly just as easily slip a bomb on. Now a flight loaded with NATO Soldiers going down would be a different story, so yeah, lets find out where it is and who has it.

Pilot1
06-13-16, 09:46
This is what decades of indoctrination, and brainwashing does. It is now HERE.

SteyrAUG
06-13-16, 14:23
The samurai would disown them...

http://news.cybersamuraimark.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Godzilla-facepalm.png

^^^ Him too... :rolleyes:

Speaking of Samurai, if you own an actual "real" sword in Japan they are registered in a way very similar to the way we register machine guns. Regular people can only buy alloy blade "training swords" that cannot be sharpened.

Firefly
06-13-16, 14:32
Two bullets?

Yeesh.

I recall reading many moons ago on wacky Japan news about some Japanese dude getting a hunting license, getting a gun license, etc and somehow he got a brand spanking new SG 550 delivered by mistake as opposed to some bolt action or expensive shotgun.

He had it for two days before he got a knock on the door.

Which is BS because those cukt guys bought Russian beltfeds and nerve gassed a subway before anyone hassled
them.

Will try to find a link but this was like 2003ish(?)

ETA I can't find it. I think it was a blurb on Excite! or something. I just thought it would be cool to get something far out like that, but the honest thing is to get it to its rightful owner.