PDA

View Full Version : ACADEMY REMOVES AR'S FROM RACK

williejc
06-13-16, 21:48
Thirty minutes ago I was at Cabelas and heard the manager direct the gun clerks to remove AR's from the gun rack and place them in the back. This procedure is not a daily task because their gun storage for displays is secure. I heard no explanation.

I apologize. I was in Academy Sports where this has occurred. Earlier I had been to Cabelas and made a mental error in this post.

lawusmc0844
06-13-16, 21:56
I really hope they're not pulling a Dicks or CTD, if so they are ****ing cowards that won't see any of my dollars.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-13-16, 21:58
Are they going to make Muslim workers stay in the back too? Makes as much sense.

Uprange41
06-13-16, 22:04
Did you inquire as to why?

KingsideRook
06-13-16, 22:15
Welp. I'm sure if it's a company policy, we'll see a press release soon enough. I can live without Cabelas in my life, and I'll politely let them know.

SteyrAUG
06-13-16, 22:15
And it begins.

OH58D
06-13-16, 22:16
They did the same thing just after Sandy Hook.

SteyrAUG
06-13-16, 22:19
They did the same thing just after Sandy Hook.

Fair weather friends. Way to reinforce the idea that there are "good guns" and "bad guns." Sadly the firearms community is very forgiving when it comes to "best price in town" 6 months after they screw us.

williejc
06-13-16, 22:24
It was Academy and not Cabelas. My apology.

williejc
06-13-16, 22:30
See my addendum. I made a stupid error and said Cabelas. It's Academy in Waco that's removing the AR's.

Guys I apologize to all for having this brain malfunction. I had been both places.

Williejc

SeriousStudent
06-13-16, 22:30
Mod note - I edited the thread title to correctly show this was Academy, and not Cabelas.

Jaysop
06-13-16, 22:31
It was Academy and not Cabelas. My apology.

Yeah I was gonna say that I was at Cabelas after work today and they were selling ARs to like 3 guys at the same time. I did hear a funny comment from the salesman as I was looking at ammo. He said " This comes with a Pmag. I wouldn't use it thought because it's softer than an aluminum mag"
I was thinking about offering the guy 5 bucks for the mag he got with it but I decided to mind my business.

lawusmc0844
06-13-16, 22:41
Its okay, there is no Academy that I know of in Vegas or Nor-Cal so my dollars wont go to them anyway.

OH58D
06-13-16, 22:42
Cabela's did pull that same stunt in December 2012, probably to re-stock later at a higher adjusted price for a while and create a feeding frenzy. Retail marketing and merchandising I think it's called.

Never been in an Academy Store.

Jellybean
06-13-16, 23:07
There are reasons I don't buy anything from big box "sporting goods" retailers....
Their proven "sunshine patriot" policies are a large part.
And CTD can still suck it too. :p

(Yeah, I know what I said in the other thread about my measly few hundred bucks not mattering. Still makes me happy not contributing to them.)

Moose-Knuckle
06-14-16, 03:02
Have they jacked up prices on ammo?

There mags have always been insanely priced.

JC5188
06-14-16, 08:23
I bet it's more about waiting for a run so they can jack up prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benito
06-14-16, 09:24
Are they going to make Muslim workers stay in the back too? Makes as much sense.

That would actually make more sense. They can cook soup for their soup kitchen jihad in the back.

Renegade
06-14-16, 09:59
Did they leave they Sig MCX in the rack?

murphman
06-14-16, 10:21
Checking my local Academy here in Houston shortly, will report back.

Uprange41
06-14-16, 11:13
Someone on Reddit that works there said they were told to pull them off the shelves for "a couple weeks", but they're still for sale. Apparently they did the same after SH.

murphman
06-14-16, 12:34
Someone on Reddit that works there said they were told to pull them off the shelves for "a couple weeks", but they're still for sale. Apparently they did the same after SH.

I didn't ask specifics but this is probably accurate. My local Academy had their AR15 section cleared off the rack however they are still for sale. My co worker is calling his roommate who is a high level manager at corporate to bitch at him haha.

Academy use to be my first stop local sporting goods store however that will no longer be the case.

Firefly
06-14-16, 15:00
Aaaaand Academy shall never see another dime from me.

Outlander Systems
06-14-16, 15:10
Oooooooooooor me either.

I debated between them an Cabela's for an ammo run, and I wanted to look at Jon Boats, so I made the drive up to Cabela's.

**** Academy. In the eye socket. With a rusty piece of rebar.

Never the **** again.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/14/breaking-academy-sports-pulling-modern-sporting-rifles-shelves/

The most shocking development is that the conference call outlined a new policy requiring any sale of more than 10 boxes in a caliber that Academy deems an “assault rifle caliber” will require the buyer to furnish personal information that Academy is planning on keeping in a database, other employees have stated that they were just directed to “report the transaction” with no clear outline on how to do so.

Aaaaand Academy shall never see another dime from me.

Arik
06-14-16, 15:19
Same here dispite the fact that there are no Academy Sports here

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

six8
06-14-16, 15:24
The Academy in Orlando has removed them as well but are still selling them. Selling them pretty damn quickly too :)

jpmuscle
06-14-16, 15:26
Their not sporting rifles!!! Their liberty protection devices

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

murphman
06-14-16, 15:32
Who wants to call it now? In a few years the database Academy is going to keep this "personal" information on gets hacked like AIM.

ColtSeavers
06-14-16, 15:35
Who wants to call it now? In a few years the database Academy is going to keep this "personal" information on gets hacked like AIM.

Not ashamed to admit that I don't get it.

murphman
06-14-16, 15:39
Not ashamed to admit that I don't get it.

AIM Surplus started requiring personal information on specific purchases that they saved electronically which had peoples drivers licenses and such. Well the database was compromised a few months back.

Outlander Systems
06-14-16, 15:44
Please run for office. Please.

Their not sporting rifles!!! Their liberty protection devices

ColtSeavers
06-14-16, 15:45
AIM Surplus started requiring personal information on specific purchases that they saved electronically which had peoples drivers licenses and such. Well the database was compromised a few months back.

I am aware of that. What I am currently unaware of, is the correlation between AIM's database being hacked and ACADEMY no longer (openly) selling ARs.

murphman
06-14-16, 15:48
I am aware of that. What I am currently unaware of, is the correlation between AIM's database being hacked and ACADEMY no longer (openly) selling ARs.

In the article it states per a phone conference that Academy will be requiring you to furnish personal information that they will save to a database if you purchase 10 boxes or more of an ammo that they deem assault rifle caliber ammo.

ColtSeavers
06-14-16, 15:52
In the article it states per a phone conference that Academy will be requiring you to furnish personal information that they will save to a database if you purchase 10 boxes or more of an ammo that they deem assault rifle caliber ammo.

Thank you. I had clearly missed that when reading the article earlier today.

murphman
06-14-16, 15:55
Thank you. I had clearly missed that when reading the article earlier today.

No worries bud.

wildcard600
06-14-16, 16:35
Well... academy can suck my balls. They usually had good prices and ammo selection as well, too bad.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-14-16, 20:22

Because even the largest mass shooters barely get thru one box, let alone two. Complete 'something' that does nothing to solve the problem.

That is like the plans to tax rounds of ammo- as if gang bangers are the ones burning thru ammo....

I still don't get how bakers have to make gay cakes, but the drug companies that make the lethal injections meds can restrict their use on moral grounds and Assedemy can make customers jump thru extra legal hoops.

What exactly are they going to do with the data? Hmmmmm? You come in and buy 500 rounds of 223 for some blasting with friends on the weekend and you end up 'triggering' the millennial twit behind the counter and she turns you into the FBI, which puts you on the NoFlyList and you end up not being able to buy or own guns.

Jellybean
06-14-16, 21:42
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/14/breaking-academy-sports-pulling-modern-sporting-rifles-shelves/

Well shit, I guess customers will just have to buy 9 at a time then... :rolleyes:

Moose-Knuckle
06-15-16, 02:39
Oooooooooooor me either.

I debated between them an Cabela's for an ammo run, and I wanted to look at Jon Boats, so I made the drive up to Cabela's.

**** Academy. In the eye socket. With a rusty piece of rebar.

Never the **** again.

The most shocking development is that the conference call outlined a new policy requiring any sale of more than 10 boxes in a caliber that Academy deems an “assault rifle caliber” will require the buyer to furnish personal information that Academy is planning on keeping in a database, other employees have stated that they were just directed to “report the transaction” with no clear outline on how to do so.

Thank you for sharing that, hadn't heard of that before.

Too bad, usually they are one of the few box stores that carry decent 7.62x39 self-defense ammo (Hornady and Winchester).

Averageman
06-15-16, 06:46
I don't have a problem with them taking their AR's to the back of the store for a couple of days/weeks.
Better that than some sort of in store protest by a bunch of angry overweight crazy looking Soccer Mom's and the local LEO's and "Action 8" News showing up to show the love and keep the peace. It just gives the Anti's more face time on the News if that goes down.

I will be stopping by Academy tonight to make another purchase, they have my support.

murphman
06-15-16, 07:42
Per a manager at corporate this was done to keep news crews and other anti gun individuals from going into Academy and making a video on how easy it is to purchase an AR15. As for the new ammo policy I have not received an answer as to whether or not that is a factual claim.

TAZ
06-15-16, 08:41
I went by Academy in North Austin last night. They didn't have any AR type rifles on display, but sold 2 while I was there. I hate to see this as I like Academy. I want to hear some confirmation from a reliable source aside for someone's brothers sister who works there. I may be writing a letter this PM to corporate to see what is up.

Auto426
06-15-16, 10:36
I'm not really happy about this. I was actually becoming increasingly impressed with Academy, especially when it comes to guns. I remember walking into my local store a couple of years ago and seeing them stock only the absolute basics when it came to their firearms section. However in recent years they have been steadily increasing the variety and quantity of firearms they stock. I've even been surprised by some of the things I've seen in the gun case at my local store. For example, there is a Colt Delta Elite currently sitting in the case.

I happened to drop by my local store yesterday after work and noticed that the rifle racks were devoid of anything that wasn't a traditional hunting rifle or shotgun, and their magazine section had been cleared out of all AR mags. I had already seen the TFB post about it, so it wasn't that surprising. I can somewhat understand that they maybe just want to take them out of prominent display for a few weeks, but I would much rather prefer they simply keep the guns on the shelf and keep their mouths shut.

brickboy240
06-15-16, 12:22
Most of the time, the ARs I used to see on the racks were lower tier brands. Their mag prices were nothing to write home about either. Ammo prices were fair but their ammo selections varied from day to day. I could easily beat most of their Glock prices at other local places. Their policy of not letting you try the trigger and keeping the bulky gun lock on the pistols was annoying.

I don't think many of us will miss shopping there.

Doc Safari
06-15-16, 13:46
Well, I was at Academy literally the day before the shooting in Orlando and I thought their ammo pricing sucked anyway. As long as Wal-Mart doesn't jump on the bandwagon, I'm GTG, and Academy can kiss my ass.

Doc Safari
06-15-16, 13:47
Most of the time, the ARs I used to see on the racks were lower tier brands. Their mag prices were nothing to write home about either. Ammo prices were fair but their ammo selections varied from day to day. I could easily beat most of their Glock prices at other local places. Their policy of not letting you try the trigger and keeping the bulky gun lock on the pistols was annoying.

I don't think many of us will miss shopping there.

On mags, I agree. Locally they wanted $38 IIRC for Glock mags that you can get for around $26 on the net.

Firefly
06-15-16, 14:15
I don't care if they are "helping us out" by hiding legal products and creating bizarre lists.

You either:
A) support the shooting community or
B) you don't.

This defeatist attitude is most upsetting and again, not another dime from me.

Moose-Knuckle
06-15-16, 16:39
Their policy of not letting you try the trigger and keeping the bulky gun lock on the pistols was annoying.

About fifteen years ago a guy walked into an Academy store, took a shotshell out of a box of ammo on the shelf without anyone knowing, and asked to see a shotgun behind the counter. The clerk handed him the shotgun he wanted and the guy proceeded to chamber the round and blow his head off right there in the store in front of everyone.

That is why they have their trigger lock policy.

Sam
06-16-16, 16:24
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/16/daniel-defense-terminates-relationship-with-academy-sports/

Daniel Defense terminates business relationship with AS.

Firefly
06-16-16, 16:28
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/16/daniel-defense-terminates-relationship-with-academy-sports/

I see a DD Mk. 18 upper and a lite rail in my future.

jpmuscle
06-16-16, 16:30
Good on them.

Sam
06-16-16, 16:31
I see a DD Mk. 18 upper and a lite rail in my future.

Better make that "future" sooner than later. When the hildabeast is elected, say good bye to reasonable price on AR style guns.

Firefly
06-16-16, 16:40
Better make that "future" sooner than later. When the hildabeast is elected, say good bye to reasonable price on AR style guns.

True.

Moose-Knuckle
06-16-16, 16:49

Interesting . . .

AS is based out of Katy, TX., I have NEVER seen a DD product of any kind in any AS store.

Outlander Systems
06-16-16, 17:04
Put DD up with Magpul for companies that:

Won't give an inch
Deserve our business and support

cougar_guy04
06-16-16, 19:08
Interesting . . .

AS is based out of Katy, TX., I have NEVER seen a DD product of any kind in any AS store.

My experiences mirror that. I'm guessing that a typical Academy customer is more likely to be buying $500 Bushmaster ORCs/DPMS Sporticals/M&P Sports vs. an $1800 DD M4A1+ (read: buying to a price point, not a feature set/etc).

TAZ
06-16-16, 20:05
That suck. Was hoping that it was not a corporate thing. I liked Academy a lot. Going to suck to have to use them as a try on station and then mail order my stuff. One more letter to write.

26 Inf
06-16-16, 20:25
My experiences mirror that. I'm guessing that a typical Academy customer is more likely to be buying $500 Bushmaster ORCs/DPMS Sporticals/M&P Sports vs. an $1800 DD M4A1+ (read: buying to a price point, not a feature set/etc).

Just publicity for DD at Academy's expense. I don't care one way or another, but let's be truthful. They 'asked' their distributors - which is different than saying 'if you deliver any AR's to Academy you are no longer a distributor.'

cougar_guy04
06-16-16, 20:46
Just publicity for DD at Academy's expense. I don't care one way or another, but let's be truthful. They 'asked' their distributors - which is different than saying 'if you deliver any AR's to Academy you are no longer a distributor.'
That was exactly what I was thinking.

Alex V
06-17-16, 07:30
Never been to an Academy Sports... looks like I never will.

Good on DD. It may not be a harsh enough line, but its something.

murphman
06-17-16, 08:00
This is looking like the beginnings of a cluster **** for Academy Sports. Unfortunately I never received confirmation from corporate on the whole ammo database policy.

Averageman
06-17-16, 08:02
Interesting . . .

Neither have I.
The potential for Academy Sports to actually be doing the right thing and not feed the Anti Gun rhetoric by placing the AR's in the back for a few weeks seems rather balanced to me.
The idea that Daniel Defense is selling a lot of their products through Academy and that by this action they will impact Academy's bottom line is likely wrong. It does however present a bit of showmanship and I am sure as we have seen here, might boost their sales a bit.
I actually think Academy's approach is a bit better balanced than Daniel Defense. Why make yourself a target for anti gunners and run off all of the loyal customers who might be wary of such drama? No good comes from having an Anti Gun activist screaming in your Gun Department while being filmed while being handcuffed.
Relax, take a deep breath and bring the AR's back out in two weeks while continuing to sell them to customers that specifically ask for them seems a lot smarter.
Complain as much as you like, but if you need 500 small rifle primers at seven in the evening on a Saturday, Academy is a pretty reliable source.

Jer
06-17-16, 08:49
Neither have I.
The potential for Academy Sports to actually be doing the right thing and not feed the Anti Gun rhetoric by placing the AR's in the back for a few weeks seems rather balanced to me.
The idea that Daniel Defense is selling a lot of their products through Academy and that by this action they will impact Academy's bottom line is likely wrong. It does however present a bit of showmanship and I am sure as we have seen here, might boost their sales a bit.
I actually think Academy's approach is a bit better balanced than Daniel Defense. Why make yourself a target for anti gunners and run off all of the loyal customers who might be wary of such drama? No good comes from having an Anti Gun activist screaming in your Gun Department while being filmed while being handcuffed.
Relax, take a deep breath and bring the AR's back out in two weeks while continuing to sell them to customers that specifically ask for them seems a lot smarter.
Complain as much as you like, but if you need 500 small rifle primers at seven in the evening on a Saturday, Academy is a pretty reliable source.

Because my 2nd Amendment rights don't hide for any reason.

I can't believe people are buying the "don't want them to make video" BS. What a load!

TAZ
06-17-16, 09:02
Neither have I.

No offense, but Academy's rationale is retarded. Theoretically they are still selling MSR's so why wouldn't an Anti-gun numb nut go into the store and make a scene pointing out that even large chains are ashamed of selling the guns cause they KNOW it's wrong to put these man killing devices into circulation. They are inviting even more bad publicity. You know the whole we know it's wrong but are too greedy to do the right thing type of publicity. They can also feed the whole MSR's aren't popular enough to warrant a display at. Prominent Texas gun store chain. I'm mean they aren't on their web page, you can't find them on shelves. Can't even find accessories. How can people claim these are popular enough that a ban would be unconstitutional based on the common use argument. These things are only popular with terrorist and mass murderers.

Way to go Accademy. Please take out your willy and begin to jump up and down upon it.

Averageman
06-17-16, 09:28
I would think they did so for the most part because the AR's seem to be the flavor of the month for the Anti Gun Crowd to protest.
That they would know everything you mentioned is giving them a lot more credit for researching the subject than they likely have. It's not about knowledge, but it is a lot about emotion. If you run a Sporting Goods Store, do you want that drama?
It may not have been the decision I would have made, but keeping them off of the rack, but yet still for sale is a strategy that will defeat most of the potential drama that could happen. Roll them out in two weeks and nothing will be noticed as we have moved on to another News cycle.
Why feed the Trolls?

Jer
06-17-16, 09:29
No offense, but Academy's rationale is retarded. Theoretically they are still selling MSR's so why wouldn't an Anti-gun numb nut go into the store and make a scene pointing out that even large chains are ashamed of selling the guns cause they KNOW it's wrong to put these man killing devices into circulation. They are inviting even more bad publicity. You know the whole we know it's wrong but are too greedy to do the right thing type of publicity. They can also feed the whole MSR's aren't popular enough to warrant a display at. Prominent Texas gun store chain. I'm mean they aren't on their web page, you can't find them on shelves. Can't even find accessories. How can people claim these are popular enough that a ban would be unconstitutional based on the common use argument. These things are only popular with terrorist and mass murderers.

Way to go Accademy. Please take out your willy and begin to jump up and down upon it.

Not to mention they're placing the AR15 in it's own category justifying this latest anti push regardless of the reasoning. It's not a separate category worthy of a ban it's the same as all other rifles.

Man, not to long ago the hot button weapon was an AK47. Everything was an AK47. Now it's an AR15. Ban whatever you want and the next hot button item will be [insert any weapon type here until we're out of firepower with which to protect ourselves from criminals (who still have everything we don't) and tyranny].

Jer
06-17-16, 09:35
I would think they did so for the most part because the AR's seem to be the flavor of the month for the Anti Gun Crowd to protest.
That they would know everything you mentioned is giving them a lot more credit for researching the subject than they likely have. It's not about knowledge, but it is a lot about emotion. If you run a Sporting Goods Store, do you want that drama?
It may not have been the decision I would have made, but keeping them off of the rack, but yet still for sale is a strategy that will defeat most of the potential drama that could happen. Roll them out in two weeks and nothing will be noticed as we have moved on to another News cycle.
Why feed the Trolls?

If you're worried about negative publicity you ask those with cameras to leave. Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

This is about something entirely different and obvious to anyone with the common sense that god gave a doorknob. To deny it makes you look foolish.

To think they don't already have all the 'B roll' on the subject they need to make whatever story they want is also silly.

I can see a story of 'National wholesaler Academy Sports agrees that the AR15's shouldn't be sold to the public' while showing video they filmed of shelves devoid of them and B roll of what they look like being sold in the past hitting home harder than some fluff piece showing them on the shelves and available for sale.

More importantly, lots of people see times like now being the motivation they needed to get that AR15 they've had their eye on for years least they not be able to soon. If they walk into their local shop and see none what do you think they assume? Keep in mind that these stores are usually a mad house during these times and being able to talk to someone to ask if they have something they don't see likely wouldn't happen.

Big A
06-18-16, 22:59
I was in Academy tonight. All 3 dudes working the gun counter were talking about how stupid the "Hide the AR's" policy is and that it was a bunch of bullshit.

I bought 2 boxes of 9mm and 2 of 5.56. Only question I had to answer was that I had to put in a zip code on the card reader at the checkout.

Those of you saying you will boycott Academy, do you own any Colts, S&W's or Rugers?

Arik
06-19-16, 07:34
Neither have I.
I don't get the hiding part and where did this idea of filming come from? So they still sell ARs? So that means whomever is filming can still ask to see one? Or can see someone buy one? Or go to a 100 million other gun stores?

Averageman
06-19-16, 09:36
I don't get the hiding part and where did this idea of filming come from? So they still sell ARs? So that means whomever is filming can still ask to see one? Or can see someone buy one? Or go to a 100 million other gun stores?

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Academy, the Gun Department is about 15% of the store, but likely pushes a higher percentage of the stores profits than most other departments.
The rest of the store has everything from Boots and Shoes, fishing gear, athletic clothing and baseball, football, golf and soccer gear. Although the Gun Department may be a profit leader for Academy you cannot disregard what the other departments are pulling in.
The major difference between Academy and places like Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops is a broader appeal to women and families. Take that in to account and think about it.
In the age of YouTube and Cell phone cameras everyone walking through the door has an ability to film what ever happens in the store. You cannot exclude the camera crew anymore, everyone who has a smart phone has a camera.
By putting the Black Rifles somewhere out of sight, they have to be asked for. By asking for a specific rifle you will likely be profiled by the guy behind the counter. It is likely his judgement and situational awareness that determines what happens from there.
If you and your Wife and Mother and all four of your kids stop by for some shopping after Church today the last thing you want to get your family involved in is some drama with a group of anti gunners filming some stupid.
Moving the guns out of plain sight doesn't totally prevent something really stupid from happening, but it reduces the likelihood.
At this point in this election, I don't think we need people with an making asses of themselves in Academy. Why give the Progressive driven Anti Gun Agenda another place to make a stand?
I may not like that it happened, but it may well be a prudent business move at this time. Not to worry, this will blow over and the guns will be back out in two weeks.

Arik
06-19-16, 09:56
I'm not sure if you are familiar with Academy, the Gun Department is about 15% of the store, but likely pushes a higher percentage of the stores profits than most other departments.
The rest of the store has everything from Boots and Shoes, fishing gear, athletic clothing and baseball, football, golf and soccer gear. Although the Gun Department may be a profit leader for Academy you cannot disregard what the other departments are pulling in.
The major difference between Academy and places like Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops is a broader appeal to women and families. Take that in to account and think about it.
In the age of YouTube and Cell phone cameras everyone walking through the door has an ability to film what ever happens in the store. You cannot exclude the camera crew anymore, everyone who has a smart phone has a camera.
By putting the Black Rifles somewhere out of sight, they have to be asked for. By asking for a specific rifle you will likely be profiled by the guy behind the counter. It is likely his judgement and situational awareness that determines what happens from there.
If you and your Wife and Mother and all four of your kids stop by for some shopping after Church today the last thing you want to get your family involved in is some drama with a group of anti gunners filming some stupid.
Moving the guns out of plain sight doesn't totally prevent something really stupid from happening, but it reduces the likelihood.
At this point in this election, I don't think we need people with an making asses of themselves in Academy. Why give the Progressive driven Anti Gun Agenda another place to make a stand?
I may not like that it happened, but it may well be a prudent business move at this time. Not to worry, this will blow over and the guns will be back out in two weeks.
Honestly no. Never saw one. Sounds like Dicks.

Dispite having some pretty good gun stores in my area they are all family owned. Gander mountain will be the first big box gun store type in my area. Nearest Cabelas and Bass Pro are 2hrs away

Jer
06-19-16, 11:10
I was in Academy tonight. All 3 dudes working the gun counter were talking about how stupid the "Hide the AR's" policy is and that it was a bunch of bullshit.

I bought 2 boxes of 9mm and 2 of 5.56. Only question I had to answer was that I had to put in a zip code on the card reader at the checkout.

Those of you saying you will boycott Academy, do you own any Colts, S&W's or Rugers?

I sure don't. I also don't own anything with the name Spike's on it or shop our local JAX for all of the same reasons. It's easy to have character when things are going well. When the chips are down we see who actually has character & who actually supports us. This information should not be taken lightly.

wildcard600
06-19-16, 14:55

The earlier posts mention 10 boxes of "assault ammo" is where they ask for info.

As to S&W Colt and Ruger, that was 20 years ago when different people were in charge/owned said companys. As far as I am concerned they have atoned for their screw ups through new leadership.

Averageman
06-20-16, 06:03
The earlier posts mention 10 boxes of "assault ammo" is where they ask for info.

As to S&W Colt and Ruger, that was 20 years ago when different people were in charge/owned said companys. As far as I am concerned they have atoned for their screw ups through new leadership.

I would be curious about that "Assault Ammo", they always do ask for your Zip Code, never your address. I'm sure it is to do with marketing.
I've bought ammo there in a pinch a time or two and a couple thousand primers and a pound or two of Powder, never asked for an address. Clearly the emotions are getting the better of people when stories like that are being exaggerated.

J-Dub
06-20-16, 06:12
As long as they keep importing the yildiz o/u and SxS shotguns...

Moose-Knuckle
06-20-16, 13:35
The zip code thing is so they know where they need to build more stores. You don't have to enter one at all or you could enter any zip code you want.