PDA

View Full Version : Question about pairing KAC, LMT, and SIONICS parts

w3453l
06-16-16, 14:02
Hi everyone,

I have a KAC mod 2 11.5" upper on a pistol lower, and I wanted to ask a question regarding parts that would eventually need replacing.

Since the KAC bolt is proprietary, and a spare barrel is not available for purchase I was considering to buy a spare SIONICS 11.5" light weight barrel paired with an LMT enhanced bolt.

I would have the barrel ordered with a low-pro gas block and gas tube installed from SIONICS.

The URX 4 would remain on the upper.

I'm assuming that this list of parts would be everything I need to get the gun running again assuming the KAC barrel needs replacing?

I know shooting the barrel out is not easy to do, and I don't expect it to happen anytime soon. I just like to set aside spare parts for the future. Breaking it down it seems they are all quality components that would turn out cheaper than buying a spare complete upper. I read KAC will rebarrel a gun, but I'm not sure if that's cost efficient.

Again:

SIONICS LW 11.5" barrel w/ gas block and gas tube from SIONICS
LMT enhanced bolt

The bolt I would drop into the KAC carrier, and as for the SIONICS barrel I am assuming that it should be the closest to KAC on the market in regards to gas port size?

I'm hesitant with barrel manufacturers now that everyone is opening larger gas ports. I have read that SIONICS doesn't go crazy with gas port size, but I don't know what other manufactures produce an 11.5" LW barrel with a gas port on the smaller side.

Thanks

Failure2Stop
06-16-16, 14:20
1- I have nothing against Sionics, and hear that they make nice stuff.

2- That said, if you have a KAC gun, you can easily and fully support the rifle with KAC parts.
We will sell spare bolts, and we also sell bolt repair kits.
I have never seen an E3 bolt break before its barrel was shot out, and yes, we'll rebarrel.

However, frankly, for the $, a second KAC 11.5" upper is going to save you a lot of time and effort.

TMS951
06-16-16, 14:32
Hi everyone,

I have a KAC mod 2 11.5" upper on a pistol lower, and I wanted to ask a question regarding parts that would eventually need replacing.

Since the KAC bolt is proprietary, and a spare barrel is not available for purchase I was considering to buy a spare SIONICS 11.5" light weight barrel paired with an LMT enhanced bolt.

Thanks

What is your firing schedule? Because the two parts you are talking about here are meant to last ~20,000 rounds.

I also think you are planning to ditch the two most important KAC items in that upper. The Bolt and barrel are the only parts I still use form my SR15 upper. Why not just send them back to KAC if you ever shoot them out?

I get wanting spares, but the whole idea of the KAC parts is their longevity. I simply keep a KAC bolt rebuild kit on hand.

w3453l
06-16-16, 15:26
Thank you to the both of you for the replies.

I do have a spare bolt repair kit, and was planning on buying another. A spare KAC bolt was also on the buy list.

I understand that KAC is known for the longevity of their parts, and the two parts I listed above are what separates them from the rest for the most part.

I guess the only part I was really worried about was the barrel; more of an OCD thing that I don't have a spare on hand "right now" vs the other parts that I can just order whenever from multiple sources.

As far as my firing schedule goes, it's pretty sporadic. As of late I haven't been able to shoot as much just because of a tighter than usual schedule. I will have a bit more free time now, which means I'll go thru 200 - 300 rds per shooting session. In which case I go about once every two weeks at least.

I do make 3 to 4 trips a year at the least where we just camp and shoot. On these trips I tend to shoot a case of 1000 rds.

Not the most intense shooting schedule, and I wish I could do more, but enough to expect a barrel to be shot out within my lifetime. Assuming I stay consistent. I haven't taken any classes yet, but it is something I've been looking to do when timing permits.

I guess it does make more sense to just grab a spare upper if anything.

Thanks again

BlackWatch16
06-16-16, 15:36
The best spare is another complete upper. If you like Sionics buy one of their uppers that also come with a great BCG.
As mentioned above, unless you have a crazy intense firing schedule (in which case you probably aren't paying for ammo, repairs, etc), those "spare parts" will just sit for years waiting for a shot out KAC barrel and broken KAC bolt that probably won't happen.
Wrap up your spare barrel and BCG in an upper/rail, toss it on an SBR/pistol lower, and get some use out of it.

jstalford
06-16-16, 16:42
If you're gonna get another upper, might as well get a lower too ;)...2 is 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk