PDA

View Full Version : BCM Bootleg Handguard?

ScottsBad
06-17-16, 13:30
I was just perusing the BCM site when I ran across an upper with the BCM Bootleg Handguard. Apparently it uses the KMR barrel nut and hardware. I search this site but nothing came up. So what's the scoop? Thanks

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Group-w-Bootleg-Hand-p/bcm-urg-mid-16-bfh-bl-15.htm

BCMNick
06-17-16, 13:35
kinda looks like the Fortis Rev rails.

Eurodriver
06-17-16, 13:42
Bootleg is an offshoot of PWS that BCM has had a relationship with for a long time.

Their handguard does use the KMR nut.

AAMP84
06-17-16, 13:49
http://bootleginc.com

ScottsBad
06-17-16, 14:04
kinda looks like the Fortis Rev rails.

BCM wouldn't put a POS Fortis in their rifles. I had a Fortis and after one trip to the range the dang this was slipping up and down an 1/8 of an inch on the barrel nut. Fortunately, Rainier Arms (excellent customer service) took it back.

ScottsBad
06-17-16, 14:05
http://bootleginc.com

What do you think about the picatinny/keymod setup?

I-M4-REAL
06-18-16, 06:51
There's a lot of bootleg AR parts out there mostly at gun shows or lame web sites like ebay and Gun Joker. I'll tell you one bootlegged AR parts to look out for is anything formed of plastics i.e. stocks and grips along with aluminum hand rails, flash hiders and brakes.
Every time I go to a gun show I always see mostly VLTOR bootleg fake butt stocks that are easily spotted a mile away but it's not always limited to just VLTOR. I've also seen fake MagPul items as well. Know your stuff before you reach for your wallet. Fwiw.. I think DD still has a guide on 'how to spot a fake' DD rail on their web site.

scooter22
06-18-16, 06:54
There's a lot of bootleg AR parts out there mostly at gun shows or lame web sites like ebay and Gun Joker. I'll tell you one bootlegged AR parts to look out for is anything formed of plastics i.e. stocks and grips along with aluminum hand rails, flash hiders and brakes.
Every time I go to a gun show I always see mostly VLTOR bootleg fake butt stocks that are easily spotted a mile away but it's not always limited to just VLTOR. I've also seen fake MagPul items as well. Know your stuff before you reach for your wallet. Fwiw.. I think DD still has a guide on 'how to spot a fake' DD rail on their web site.

We're talking about Bootleg the company

zackmars
06-18-16, 07:47
We're talking about Bootleg the company

Not exactly a great name.

I don't see the point of the picmod stuff

ScottsBad
06-18-16, 12:00
OMG wow

Rogue556
06-18-16, 13:49
I'd be curious to see if there are any drawbacks to this hybrid keymod/picatinny system vs the standard keymod system as I think having other options can't hurt..

Looking at that rail in comparison to the KMR Alpha though, it seems like it doesn't offer much else other than the built in picatinny slots and looks (Which are an opinion anyway). Comparing the weight between both 15" versions, the bootleg is 9.6 oz vs 8.1 oz on the KMR Alpha so you are adding weight. The KMR Alpha also has four more mounting positions if you are using keymod to attatch your stuff. Price is basically the same if you don't have the mounting hardware. Honestly I don't see it having enough benefits to ditch a KMR Alpha for it. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
06-18-16, 14:05
I'd be curious to see if there are any drawbacks to this hybrid keymod/picatinny system vs the standard keymod system as I think having other options can't hurt..

Looking at that rail in comparison to the KMR Alpha though, it seems like it doesn't offer much else other than the built in picatinny slots and looks (Which are an opinion anyway). Comparing the weight between both 15" versions, the bootleg is 9.6 oz vs 8.1 oz on the KMR so you are adding weight. The KMR also has four more mounting positions if you are using keymod to attatch your stuff. Price is basically the same if you don't have the mounting hardware. Honestly I don't see it having enough benefits to ditch a KMR for it. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Where you finding the KMR's in stock big dog? AFAIK, BCM hasn't had the traditional KMR in stock in for.ever.

Rogue556
06-18-16, 14:21
Where you finding the KMR's in stock big dog? AFAIK, BCM hasn't had the traditional KMR in stock in for.ever.
Oops, I actually ment the KMR Alpha, not the original KMR. The specs and price I listed were for the Alpha as well. I'm starting to think they phased the original out completely, as it's been months since I've seen them in stock as well. Who knows..

Eurodriver
06-18-16, 14:29
Gotcha. I was beginning to think the same thing.

NWS
06-19-16, 12:59
I would buy one if they made an mlok pic rail in 10.75"

redmist
06-19-16, 17:58
PWS, is Modern Musket, is Bootleg, is.....

They change it every year for some reason it seams.

sidewaysil80
06-19-16, 20:19
I had the oppurtunity to handle these pre SHOT while attending a course at PWS.

I like the fact that they use the KMR hardware. Its a relatively proven mount system that is rock solid and firm. I didn't have a KMR rail to compare it to, but it felt light amd as strong (if not stronger) than the PWS rails. The pic mod is only at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions and I was surprised by how seamless it actually was. It was'nt that pronounced compared to the rest of the rail.

I ordered one to use on an precision orientated 18" rifle to replace the KMR rail. Yes its a tad lighter, but my primary reason was I can now mount the bipids directly to the rail. While this doesn't seemlike a big deal it is. I have had to tighten the damn picatinny section on my keykod rails so much, it was worth it to buy a rail to alleviate this. The problem is when pulling/snapping the bipod down or quickly and roughly getting into position and leaning into bi pods, the picatinny rail section gets loose frequently, requiring a re-tighten.

The Bootleg handguard fixes this.

scooter22
06-19-16, 20:20
I would buy one if they made an mlok pic rail in 10.75"

Get the URX4 MLOK.

NWS
06-21-16, 09:51
Get the URX4 MLOK.

It was on the short list but went with a KMR-A 10". I went with the simple install of the BCM nut/rail vs the URX4 system and gas block. I do want to get an SR15 eventually so will get one factory built.

MWT
06-21-16, 11:22
I got to handle the Bootleg rail today and I could not believe how light it was...amazing stuff. (it was unmounted)

nickdrak
06-22-16, 02:00
This is probably somewhat in response the many complaints about the KMR's KeyMod shitting the bed with light mounts on a regular basis. I've personally seen several keymod weapon light mounts coming loose specifically on KMRs after a few hundred rounds fired during classes regardless of how tight they are mounted or whether or not lactate was used.

scooter22
06-22-16, 02:05
This is probably somewhat in response the many complaints about the KMR's KeyMod shitting the bed with light mounts on a regular basis. I've personally seen several keymod weapon light mounts coming loose specifically on KMRs after a few hundred rounds fired during classes regardless of how tight they are mounted or whether or not lactate was used.

Why would BCM choose to remedy such an issue in this manner?

nickdrak
06-22-16, 14:40
Why would BCM choose to remedy such an issue in this manner?

Didn't say it was a "remedy". Remedy would be to release an M-Lok version of the KMR.

GH41
06-22-16, 17:14

I'll say the same thing I always end up saying to the anti KeyMod guys. The system is NOT idiot proof and there are a lot of people out there that aren't smart enough to follow directions.

nickdrak
06-22-16, 18:09
I'll say the same thing I always end up saying to the anti KeyMod guys. The system is NOT idiot proof and there are a lot of people out there that aren't smart enough to follow directions.

I've been running KeyMod since the first NSR rail was released by Noveske. Not "anti KeyMod" by any stretch, but "M-Lok" is a more robust design.

My reservations are directed primarily at the magnesium KMR rails due to several issues Ive seen first hand with mounts coming loose that shouldn't.

KeyMod bipod mounts are a no-go on .308 and up guns regardless of the manufacturer.

hotrodder636
06-22-16, 18:46
Interesting rail. I like the KMR mounting system.

FWIW, keymod bipod mounts work fine on my .308 guns but maybe that's because I installed them in the right direction :cool:

I've been running KeyMod since the first NSR rail was released by Noveske. Not "anti KeyMod" by any stretch, but "M-Lok" is a more robust design.

My reservations are directed primarily at the magnesium KMR rails due to several issues Ive seen first hand with mounts coming loose that shouldn't.

KeyMod bipod mounts are a no-go on .308 and up guns regardless of the manufacturer.